Saab Link Forums banner
121 - 140 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Thank you! I agree, the black window trim is definitely better!

I started driving this car locally to get some miles under it's belt. The red paint looks so good in the sun!

I'm currently waiting on my red paint to arrive so I can repaint the primer spots. In the meantime, I'm refinishing the SPG kit that will be going on this car and will continue cleaning up the small issues.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Nothing too crazy to note today, I fixed the speedometer last night, the cable wasn't fully engaged into the back of the cluster.. And I also fixed the climate control by repairing a cracked vacuum line in the engine bay that I missed before.

that was enough productivity for last night lol.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
My SPG panel hardware finally showed up. I have a handful of things to finish up as far as the mounting, but it's on there!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Got the red paint touched up the other day. It's still curing a little bit, but it'll get buffed in the next handful of days. Both front fenders, the spot on the left quarter panel, and a couple of other small places. It looks pretty good. I can't wait to get it all fully assembled finally!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Looking great! How can you tell that the paint is still curing?
Thank you! My painter just said to wait a couple of days before messing with it so the paint can cure. He doesn't usually mess with single stage and wanted to make sure it was good and dry.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Last night I got the front all back together and test fit the fender flares and the rear quarter panel vent covers. I think I'm missing some hardware for the flares as I'm not sure exactly how they are supposed to mount. I need to work on that some more, but from this view, it's really starting to come together :D

·
Registered
432 Posts
Looks great. Paint matches well by the look of it.
You're pretty much to mission accomplished on this one.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Thank you, It's definitely coming together now!

Yesterday, installed the flares, vent covers, and the fiberglass reproduction whaletail.

Then late last night, I decided to throw the shadow louvers on. The louvers belong with my 1986, but it's going to be a while before that restoration is done, so the red car is borrowing them for now. I just need to give the paint one last going over and a good coat of wax and it'll be ready to go. I plan on taking it to the local cars and coffee this weekend. Should be a good time!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
It looks great, and I always loved those louvres. Are you starting a build thread for the '86?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Looks great! You've really brought this car back!
I'm sometimes not a fan of the tupperware and whales tales, but it all works on this one!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
It looks great, and I always loved those louvres. Are you starting a build thread for the '86?

Thank you!! I'm not sure why my pictures are all gone.. The photobucket links still work.. Either way, It's Palmer's old Admiral SPG clone and it's been a long time in the works.. I'm hoping to start on the body work and rust repair in the very near future. I figure I'll just start a new thread when I really get going on that one as the old thread seems pretty useless now that the pics are gone.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Looks great! You've really brought this car back!
I'm sometimes not a fan of the tupperware and whales tales, but it all works on this one!
Thank you! I'm the other way around and wouldn't want a C900 without that stuff lol. Different strokes i guess. I keep having to tell myself that this car is a N/A base model. It's way more fun than it should be.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Ah I remember this car.....love that color! Looking forward to seeing the new build thread for it. I'm going to update my dormant SPG build thread soon too. Where did you manage to find that whaletail?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Ah I remember this car.....love that color! Looking forward to seeing the new build thread for it. I'm going to update my dormant SPG build thread soon too. Where did you manage to find that whaletail?
Thank you! I can't wait to really get some movement on that one. And it's not staying that color either ;)

The whaletail came from a guy on FB. Stephen Broadhead who runs Malbrad Saab in the UK. He makes these fiberglass rep whaletails and they are a very nice piece for being aftermarket. Even with shipping to the US I was able to buy 2 for the cost of one decent OEM part.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Great transformation! Looks amazing with all the extra bits including the spoiler.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Thank you! I can't wait to really get some movement on that one. And it's not staying that color either ;)

The whaletail came from a guy on FB. Stephen Broadhead who runs Malbrad Saab in the UK. He makes these fiberglass rep whaletails and they are a very nice piece for being aftermarket. Even with shipping to the US I was able to buy 2 for the cost of one decent OEM part.
You're breaking my heart. Why are you going to change the color???

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
You're breaking my heart. Why are you going to change the color???
The paint is not in good shape, and there is a good bit of rust happening under the plastics and under the car. I am patching it up and doing it right, but the amount of work involved means the whole car is being re-sprayed. It's just a gloss dark blue, no metallic or anything.. I'm going to change it up and do something a bit more custom with the build overall. It's not a true SPG, so I'm not going to be hurting it's long-term value or anything.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
I put this thing to work yesterday and today and put over 150 miles on it so far! Got some cool pictures on a closed section of highway near my place.

And I've been driving this now for like 2 days and already had to put it to use in true Saab fashion 😅

I'm actually pretty impressed so far. There have been no issues besides the fuel pump ring seal leaked a little bit when I topped the tank up, and the steering wheel bushing is bad which I already knew. Otherwise, everything worked as expected so far. Also, the central locking decided to start working this morning so that's cool.

121 - 140 of 159 Posts