Saab Link Forums banner
101 - 120 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
This is looking great! Definitely a good motivation to update my own dormant project thread. What's your plan for tackling the fender painting?

Thank you! I'm just glad it's finally getting the attention it deserves. I can't wait to drive it! The fenders will be painted my a friend of mine along with a handful of other small parts and touch-ups once the car is drivable. I'm waiting on a few more exterior parts to show up too ;)

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
last night's progress kind of speaks for itself. Everything is coming together nicely. I'm hoping to be able to hear it run by the weekend.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Update! It runs! I got everything put back together and got it to start. The fuel was really old, so I changed the filter and drained a bunch out. Now it seems to run even better! The only hiccup was a coolant drip where the lower hose meets up to the back of the water pump. It was a pain to get to, but I reset and tightened the hose clamp and it's all good now. It really starts up and runs nice. The heater works, and so do the radiator fans. Time to button up the rest.

Here's an instagram video of it running:

http://instagr.am/p/CNoXs3tlELh/
Once it ran for a while longer, that little lifter tick went away and it just purrs now! I spent the rest of the evening installing the seats and center console. The interior is all back together with the exception of some extra gauges and a stereo..

The next step is to finish putting the suspension back together (all new rods, joints, bushings, shocks, and old school Intrax springs).. Then cosmetics after that.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Go man go!! Great stuff! You're doing this car a great service! You'll enjoy it, the NA cars are still fun when you're not afraid to wind out the revs.
I've been watching this thread but apparently keep neglecting to comment.

Now I feel bad about my own slackness...hehe :rolleyes: My CommEd project stalled when the to-fix list started growing fast and I found a rotten spot.
So much rust-free body envy !! I have a running / leaking '88 sedan beater in the same red paint. Used it for Xmas decoration on the lawn ;) then brought it in for a fresh look and found a bunch of rot that I missed before and/or developed while sitting outside.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Go man go!! Great stuff! You're doing this car a great service! You'll enjoy it, the NA cars are still fun when you're not afraid to wind out the revs.
I've been watching this thread but apparently keep neglecting to comment.

Now I feel bad about my own slackness...hehe :rolleyes: My CommEd project stalled when the to-fix list started growing fast and I found a rotten spot.
So much rust-free body envy !! I have a running / leaking '88 sedan beater in the same red paint. Used it for Xmas decoration on the lawn ;) then brought it in for a fresh look and found a bunch of rot that I missed before and/or developed while sitting outside.

Thank you Jimbo! I can't wait to drive this thing. It has it's own kind of simple charm. I cant wait to rack up some miles on it! I have the same hesitant feelings when it comes to my 1986 900T (Palmer's old car). It needs so much work and has a bit or rust, but I'd rather work on this one as it's so clean. One at a time I suppose lol. I have never seen a C900 this clean in my life. Here are a couple pics I took over the weekend during my refresh of the front suspension: This thing should be in a museum.

I also went through and refreshed the front suspension this weekend. All control arm bushings, ball joints, sway bar end bushings, tie rods, etc. Also installed a set of Intrax lowering springs. The control arms were sand blasted and then painted with POR-15. I'm so happy with how this is turning out!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Even that right-front framing looks mint !! Wow !! That's awesome!
All my C900s spent at least part of their lives here in the Northeast and they were / are all somewhere between rusty and melting.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
This car keeps amazing me! I changed the rear springs and shocks last night and every single fastener came right out. Even the brake lines unthreaded and still look brand new with the green coating on them and all the plastic retainers. I've worked on brand new cars that aren't this clean..

So at this point, I just need to put the brakes together and fill the inner CV boots with grease and I'll be able to drive this car!

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Last night's progress.. I got the metal skid plate installed, I cleaned up and sandblasted the calipers and brackets (they were in superb shape, No pins stuck, no major corrosion, even the bleeders came loose easily). So I painted them up. Then I scuffed the replacement front bumper up and repainted it with SEM Charcoal Gray bumper coating paint. It turned out pretty well and I then I used 1/2" stick on chrome trim in place of the missing original trim. It's not perfect, but it looks outstanding from 10ft lol. I'm going to give the same treatment to the front side panels, rear bumper and side panels, and the SPG panels that are going to get installed soon too ;)

I also installed the headlights, markers, and grille. These parts are all pretty rough, and I'll replace them with nicer parts at a later date as i find nicer parts. That will come in due time. For now, i have lights! So yay! one step closer to being drivable.

I have ordered all new brake pads, rotors, hoses, and hardware. That should be here around the end of the week. Once I get those parts installed, I should be able to put the car on the ground and test drive it!

And yes, the fenders are going to be repainted shortly after the car is roadworthy.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Last night's progress.. I got the metal skid plate installed, I cleaned up and sandblasted the calipers and brackets (they were in superb shape, No pins stuck, no major corrosion, even the bleeders came loose easily). So I painted them up. Then I scuffed the replacement front bumper up and repainted it with SEM Charcoal Gray bumper coating paint. It turned out pretty well and I then I used 1/2" stick on chrome trim in place of the missing original trim. It's not perfect, but it looks outstanding from 10ft lol. I'm going to give the same treatment to the front side panels, rear bumper and side panels, and the SPG panels that are going to get installed soon too ;)

I also installed the headlights, markers, and grille. These parts are all pretty rough, and I'll replace them with nicer parts at a later date as i find nicer parts. That will come in due time. For now, i have lights! So yay! one step closer to being drivable.

I have ordered all new brake pads, rotors, hoses, and hardware. That should be here around the end of the week. Once I get those parts installed, I should be able to put the car on the ground and test drive it!

And yes, the fenders are going to be repainted shortly after the car is roadworthy.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Looking great! Did you use anything in particular on the calipers, or is it just generic red caliper paint? They came out really clean.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Looking great! Did you use anything in particular on the calipers, or is it just generic red caliper paint? They came out really clean.
Thank you! I just gave them all a quick sandblasting and washed them with wax/grease remover. Then painted with basic parts store caliper paint. I've used that stuff before and as long as the prep is done well, it holds up just fine.

·
Registered
431 Posts
You're on a roll of quick progress and plenty of attention to detail.
Even the brake fittings and bleeders came loose!?! That's awesome. (y)

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
You're on a roll of quick progress and plenty of attention to detail.
Even the brake fittings and bleeders came loose!?! That's awesome. (y)
Thank you! And yes, literally everything came loose like it was a brand new car. The brake lines underneath all have the original green coating in nearly perfect shape and everything. It's truly mind boggling that someone was going to scrap this car.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Over the weekend, I got the brakes assembled, and everything bled out including the clutch. I'm still not sure about the clutch as it engages very close to the floor and doesn't feel quite right.. But I suppose time will tell if I need to try it again..

The brakes turned out nicely:

My 3 year old decided he wanted to come and "help" on the Saab for a while the other day. Gotta teach them young!

Almost ready to test drive. Notice the moss still on the hood. I haven't touched it since I brought the car home.

The wheels are temporary. I have another set of Aeros that are refinished back to stock color with a polished lip. I'll be running those after I get tires on them. These are what I had ready with good tires at the time.

IT DRIVES!

I took it for a 10 minute drive around my place and it did well. It drives so smooth and quiet! I couldn't believe it. It's wonderful and pleasant. I did notice that it obviously needs an alignment, and also the speedometer was inop and so is the central locking. But otherwise it did extremely well. I brought it back home and gave it a quick wash to knock all the shop dust off and also cleaned the hood of all of the dirt and moss.

I did notice that the passenger floorboard was wet after washing, and both taillights were leaking water in as well. I suppose I need to address that before they become bigger problems.

Back in the shop, I did a super quick polish test and I am so excited about how this car is going to look.

I talked to my painter and after I remove all of the original side trim and adhesive, he's going to touch up any of the repaired spots and any other bad areas with some original Saab single stage Talladega red and then we're going to polish the whole car. It's going to look so good once that red is brought back like it deserves.

Also, I have on order a fiberglass replica whale tail in addition to the SPG kit, and rear vent covers that I already have on hand for this car. I'm going to refinish them all just like the front bumper was and install them after the paint is done. I can't wait to see what the finished product looks like. Until then, I'll continue sorting out the minor mechanical issues and de-trimming the body to get it ready for paint.

What a happy little car

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Quick update, I had some time last night to drive this car around a bit. I stopped and filled the tank with 93 octane and a couple cans of seafoam and then drove around for about an hour. This is such a happy little car. it's not fast, but just smooth and pleasant. The clutch pedal even seemed to adjust itself to a better height as I drove.

I got home and made a list of the remaining mechanical things that need to be addressed in priority order.

-Alignment
-Speedometer inop
-HVAC system seems confused (vac leak? something else?)
-minor exhaust leak somewhere in the rear
-steering column bushing needs to be replaced
-ABS light flashes under heavy breaking (can I remove the ABS all together without too much hassle?)
-Replace some dash lights
-Seat belt buckles crumbling
-rain leak in passenger floorboard
-cosmetics

These things should keep me busy for a while, but besides the alignment aren't going to keep me from putting some miles on this car.

Other Things that I need to research: (I have a 1985 SPG parts car that I could possibly rob these parts from)
-How to remove ABS system entirely if possible
-How to remove airbag and replace with older style 3 spoke wheel
-How to add cruise control

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Really getting close! I found it hilarious that the car overall is super clean, but somehow your seatbelts are disintegrating :)

I have a suspicion that the ABS removal will be painful. What color did you use on the rims? They look nice with the red body.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Thanks! This car lived most of it's life in the dessert, so while there is no rust or anything, some of the plastic bits are kind of brittle.

The wheels are just charcoal duplicolor wheel paint if I remember right.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Other Things that I need to research: (I have a 1985 SPG parts car that I could possibly rob these parts from)
-How to remove ABS system entirely if possible
-How to remove airbag and replace with older style 3 spoke wheel
-How to add cruise control
Ah. So you still have the '85 around for parts....good.

I've been thinking about the full ABS system removal too. The brake pedal is super stiff in my Comm.Ed. and better to get rid of that system rather than try and find good parts.
But, I haven't investigated too far yet.

A friend of mine swapped out the airbag wheel by taking the column and all out then replaced with a column and wheel from an 86 or 87 maybe (out of my parts collection).
I'm planning to do the same thing, also to deal with the bad bushing.

Cruise control.....functional components will be your first hurdle for that.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
I didn't feel like doing anything mechanical last night, so I started picking away at the side trim and using goo-gone and a razor blade to remove the rest of the glue

Then I got motivated and polished 3/4 of the car using Meguiars ultimate polish and a buffer. I am stunned at how good it looks after what it looked like when I brought it home.

I'm going to finish the rest of the polishing tonight while I wait for my painter to schedule me in for the touch-ups. I may also try to figure out the speedometer issue tonight as well if I get motivated.

·
Registered
431 Posts
That paint cleaned up nice!! The transformation continues to prove you were right to see the potential in this car and save it.
IMO, looks even better since this car has the black, rather than chrome, window trim.

101 - 120 of 153 Posts