Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to sell it as I love this car, but my wife and I just bought a house and we need to thin out the herd a little bit before we move. This has been a great little car, I've used it mostly as a winter beater, but do drive it occasionally in the warm weather.

It's a Legacy L Sedan, 5 speed, 2.2L (EJ22).

A little background on the car:

I bought it in July '07 from the original owners son. the car spent most of it's life in FL, but had been around Albany since '02 or so. The car had ~178K on it then, and they gave me a whole stack of records and receipts from over the car's life. I am not joking when I say that I would have zero problem taking this car across the country today, that's how confident I am in it's reliability.

The car is located in Monkton Ridge, VT.

In three years, I've put 36K on the car (now has ~214K) and have fixed or replaced the following (most of these have been within the past 18 months or so).

Front wheel bearings
Front ball joints
Tie Rod ends
All four struts (KYB GR-2)
All four strut mounts
Front Strut bearings
Front drive shaft w/ inner and outer CVs (can't remember if it was D/S or P/S, but the other one had been replaced a year prior to me buying the car)
Fram AirHog panel filter

The Good:
Runs strongly and reliably
Shifts smoothly
Fun to drive
Goes like stink in the slippy stuff
4 Studded General Arctic Altimax tires with at least 2 winters left on them
6 steelies (4 with the snows mounted on them)
4 14" 5-spoke alloys, need to be refinished, but nice and light.
Regular oil changes (every 4K) it leaks a little from one valve cover, but less than a quart per oil change, doesn't burn a drop.
Inspected through December 2010

The Not-So-Good:
Will need brakes soon (pads and rotors). I replaced them when I got the car, and I used $20 rotors and $20 pads. Got me through three years.

CEL comes on when you first drive the car, goes out 5 minutes later, it's related to the VSS located in the gauge cluster. I just ignore it, it doesn't effect how the car runs.

Rear doglegs need some welding/patching. I welded up the front rockers, now the rears need it, but I just don't have the time to do it.

The tailpipe that goes over the rear axle and leads to the muffler is getting pretty rusty, it isn't through yet, but will be after another winter I bet. The $25 Flowtech muffler I put on sounds great, but will probably rust through by next spring too.

I removed the A/C as the compressor was whining. The power steering rack also started leaking, so I bypassed the pump and it's now a manual rack. Great communication in the slippery stuff now, and not bad at low speed.

All told you will be getting a fun, reliable car, for under a grand! I bet if you do a good job on the rear rust repair, you could easily get another 5 years of cheap motoring out of this old girl. I will miss her.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I would be willing to drive to Southern NH, say Manchester. Be warned, Women will either LOVE it or HATE it.

My wife hated the car at first, but now she loves the thing and it was a hard decision selling it.

How are you at welding//patching? The rear doglegs are bad...big holes in the ends of the rockers. Has she ever driven a non-power steering car before?

·
7,595 Posts
The interior of that car reminds me of DeLorean's early 90's Sunbird interior - same cheap plastics and rubber....
The Pontiac interior of the period was worlds better then the Subaru interiors, in terms of initial quality and durability. I'm sure you remember Alex's "Loyale" :lol: that 1.8L FWD with 13" tires really was a whole new world of "suck" in every possible way.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Pontiac interior of the period was worlds better then the Subaru interiors, in terms of initial quality and durability. I'm sure you remember Alex's "Loyale" :lol: that 1.8L FWD with 13" tires really was a whole new world of "suck" in every possible way.
I would prefer to own this car over ANY GM product of this time period. PERIOD.

Sorry.

·
7,595 Posts
The legacy is worlds better than the Loyale, I would agree, but I would disagree on the other point. Give me a 90 6000 STE / AWD with the locking center diff, and it will outperform the legacy in every possible way, even in the deep snow.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Except that any component made for a WRX or STi (Engine, diffs, suspension, you name it)...will bolt right up to the BC series Legacy's with minimal work.

Loyales were definitely crap.

How many of those AWD 6000's did they make? Cool concept, but the Legacy is light and just loves being driven sideways.

·
Registered
319 Posts
im curious as to exactly what has made this "reliable" it sounds like to me in the last 36k
miles you have had to replaced

Front wheel bearings
Front ball joints
Tie Rod ends
All four struts (KYB GR-2)
All four strut mounts
welded front rockers
Front Strut bearings
Front drive shaft w/ inner and outer CVs

and currently
rear doglegs are rusted badly
oil leak
exhaust is swiss cheese
Power steering is disabled
ac compressor gone
CEL is on

sounds to me like a ticking time bomb of a money pit.

thats a lot of money to spend in 36k miles of driving, especially with several big things not even fixed.

nothing personal, just curious.
and no im not being a elitist new car snob, my daily driver cost me 700 bucks, 3 yrs ago.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Every single one of those components was original. I do all the work myself and Subie parts are cheap. The balljoints and tie rods had to be done becuase getting the steering kuckle apart to do the wheel bearings meant tearing 28 years of rusted stuck bolts apart, so I went and redid everything up front. The car will need nothing but brake pads/rotors for thi swinter and will be turn-key reliable for the next 12 months. I'm pretty damn confident of that.

It has never skipped a beat in three years. I'm selling it as a winter beater or a rallycross car. For a winter beater do you need AC? I removed the power steering on my c900, and have never replaced it, because I like the feel of a manual rack, especially in snow and ice.

I can show anyone the receipts. I have spent less than $2000 on this car (counting the purchase price) since buying it three years ago.

The EJ22 engine is massively bulletproof.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
oh ballsweat!! Subie!

.....never thought I'd see the day, but I fully understand. Best of luck dude! Congrats on the hizzy; lemme know if you need a pair of GMC's for help with the move.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^Thanks dude, I appreciate the offer. I will be sure there is plenty of beer in the kegerator if people lend a hand.

I really don't want to sell it, I'd be happy to drive the wheels off it the next coupla winters, but it's gotta happen. I don't need two winter beaters.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts