Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not mine, but seemingly one hell of a deal:

Saab : 900 - eBay (item 160530238516 end time Jan-17-11 05:00:00 PST)

1988 SPG
104k!!!
No rust evident or mentioned
Good paint and apparently a good runner

Buy-it-now ONLY $2,000!!! IMO, this could be a 4k car if it's as good as advertised (in terms of rust and body condition), cleaned up/given basic TLC, and photographed properly. I would buy it in a heartbeat, but I've just spent money on an engagement ring! The pain of missing this!!! Somebody hop on it!

·
Registered
897 Posts
godddd i want thisss. its only like an hr from my house. why cant i have more moneyyyz

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Good thing I don't have the $$, I might go for that, IF it were exactly as described. That would easily go for twice as much a few hours further north. Basically unmolested and barely 100k is just nuts to find something like that.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
A buddy and I have been discussing this. Can anyone verify that the "AT" in the vin means automatic transmission, meaning both that it has had a tranny swap and is not actually real spg?

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
And it's also not a 104k car. It lost 48k in a day in 1994. Does it make it a bad car? No. Little Red is a TMU car and she's still truckin' along in all her naturally-aspirated glory. It's just something to take into consideration if you're going to try to flip it to purists.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I asked for a description of ANY rust to be found on the car, and perhaps a few pics of the interior. Nothing thus far. to be honest, I don't expect much from a (1) feedback seller, but one can always hold out for hope.

I need an SPG like a need a kick to the face, but it sure is tempting.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
I'm mildly suspicious regarding the lack of interior photos, but not everyone gets how to sell a car on eBay or Craigslist. It'll be interesting to watch, that's for certain.

·
Registered
75 Posts
+1 on the lack in interior picts..I would tread cautiously on this one..I have a 1984 turbo that is not SPG, but is very much lighter than the 900S of the day..Most of the suspension parts on my turbo will not even fit on a 1984 900 S. And my engine is the two valve head, so the engines are different as well.

·
7,595 Posts
Anyone who wants this car should not waste their time bidding on ebay with the worthless pictures that were posted, you have to go see it first. Externally it looks like it MIGHT be good, but who knows what sort of condition it is in on the underside, it could be a big pile of scrap metal.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree on treading cautiously, but it's worth checking out. Some eBayers are no more than 40-60 year old non-tech experts who don't really know too much about posting pictures or making effective descriptions of their vehicles. Even if the interior is toast, $2,000 is still an unbeatable price IF there is no significant rust on the fenders, doors, or underbody. A big "IF," but one worth looking into. Being a car south of Philadelphia, it might have escaped salt and other harsh winter harm. That Edwardian Grey sure looks pretty good. Too bad there aren't more pics!

·
7,595 Posts
Cars do rust when they sit, if autocheck is right, it has not been on the road for 10 years... unless the previous owner was a dealer and never bothered to register it and always just used his dealer plate. There is no telling, it must be looked at and an offer made to the seller based on actual condition.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cars do rust when they sit, if autocheck is right, it has not been on the road for 10 years... unless the previous owner was a dealer and never bothered to register it and always just used his dealer plate. There is no telling, it must be looked at and an offer made to the seller based on actual condition.
Absolutely. The car could have a lot of potential, or it could be an absolute piece of shit. ANY interested buyer needs to go there and thoroughly inspect it. If it checks out rust-wise and the exterior is good, then I think it's definitely worth the 2k BIN. Interior is easy and not too costly to restore or repair. Finding a good, non rusted body is the challenge.

·
Registered
75 Posts
+ 1 on a car sitting for a while..Brake and clutch cylinders can go bad..turbo can seize,etc..It may be that this car has been used from time to time..Still has lots of potential.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just beware of a sitting car! I looked at a Tally Spg a while back down towards NY city and it was cheaply priced. It had been sitting for awhile and the floor pans where rusted out pretty bad. Turns into a lot of work. They all look good in pictures. You need to go in person and ck it out.

·
Registered
369 Posts
They toss just as much salt in MD as they do "up here" in NJ. Most of the bomber storms come from the south here via low pressure and DC usually gets hit like we do. Northern PA and NY see more lake effect.

Are those SPG wheels on the car? I thought they were supposed to be Aeros?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
They toss just as much salt in MD as they do "up here" in NJ. Most of the bomber storms come from the south here via low pressure and DC usually gets hit like we do. Northern PA and NY see more lake effect.

Are those SPG wheels on the car? I thought they were supposed to be Aeros?
No those aren't the correct wheels.

Since he said it "handles great in the snow" who knows what the bottom looks like.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts