Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious if anyone knows whether or not an early '87 (11/86 build date) would have come with flatnose bumpers/headlights/grille? I ran across one which also has an SPG kit, well installed and possibly factory which is available if I want it. Mostly I was thinking of buying it for parts simply because I thought it was a flatnose knockoff, but I'm now a little less certain and would hate to destroy something unique. I currently own an '86 flatnosed 'vert and can generally identify a lot of the characteristic issues with that one year run and this one seems to have some of the same issues. Again, the question is really whether or not the car would have been made this way?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could have been a "leftover" or a dealer pre-face job... Why part it if it's a good solid car?
If its a good solid car that isn't particularly unique, as in someone just took an '87 and modified it to it's current state, they are quite easy to come by here in Seattle and just about any car you get will for parts will be similarly solid due to the lack of rust issues around here (for local dealer cars vs. relocated cars from elsewhere). I also really need lots of random parts for my '86 Turbo 'Vert and they are very hard to come by being a 1 year production that has many parts which changed in later models. An '87 is as close as it gets and even then there were '86 only parts like the window regulators that almost require upgrading the entire door to resolve. I've already got four 900s, an '86 T'vert, an '86 SPG, an '85 Turbo and an '89 Turbo (with redbox, SPG panels, SPG suspension, etc.). Taking on another project would require moving one of the other projects out. If this '87 SPG convertible is unique and is what it appears, I'd probably keep it and restore it. In which case, the '85T(100% rust free) would become a parts car for the '86 SPG which needs many body parts.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ended up buying the car. :)

The tires, top, engine, and transmission are all very good, so I'll actually be able to drive it home without much worries. Looks like it will become a project down the road and the '85 will be a donor for the SPG.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Looks pretty good.
I like the sounds of your collection.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I like the flatnoses myself, but my wife prefers the slope style so she drives the '89. My problem is that I keep running into the less common models like this one and end up HAVING to have it. I need an acreage to store these on or a warehouse so that I can store them AND restore them at the same time. ;)

I've always wanted a notchback as well, so I'm jealous that you had them up there so much more than we did (we only had '85 and '86 I think). I think a slope style notchback would be the one late model I'd really dig.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.