Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I likely saved it from the junk-yard... I will have pics in a few days, but with the assistance of one of our resident saab technicians, I recently picked up a base model 87 900 that needed some work. Well, the work is nearing completion and she is turning out very nicely! The car is a White 87 900, hatch back, Base model with a manual trans. Likely the cheapest saab you could have bought in 87. No power anything, cloth seats, crank windows, no cruise but the condition of the car is quite good, almost exceptional. does not even have any door dings, and has a *nearly* crack-free dash.

Not exactly my kind of car to drive, 0-60 is about 13 seconds however it will still do 105 MPH, and handles just as well as a brand new STI does on most roads you'll actually drive on. The silly stainless steel hub caps have even stayed on so far! the manual trans works flawlessly, the B201 runs as well as they ever do and it drives fantastic. 124K, and it appears to have the original clutch. Not bad for a 24 year old Saab. It is almost identical physically to the my old 87 in my signature, minus the turbo, the 16V, all the nice options, the leather.... etc. Very slow, I still like it though!

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
After seeing the car and riding along in it I too would gladly have one of those base n/a B201 cars for a daily driver - it drove very nice for what it was. Clearly faster then my Geo Metro and on par I'd say with my 1996 GMC Sonoma. If I had to replace either of those 2 cars - I'd buy this 87' 900 w/out a doubt.

What are your future plans for this car DeLorean?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
This is exactly how my 900 was when I picked it up. Slow as can be, but super clean. I threw a 2.1L in it and added power windows and it's great for a daily driver. Those stainless hub caps came on it as well, but I replaced them with alloys. They do have a certain charm though. Nice catch! ;)

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Pics? 16V or 8V

I think 87 was the last year for the 8V, I once owned an 87 8V. The odometer didn't work, the thing had about 6 million miles on it.

Great car, and transmissions aren't a problem when you have such a weak engine!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
sweet pick up man. I love the c900 hatchbacks. I have a '91 c900 sedan that has the 16v in it. Automatic transmission, and N/A but I think it would do 0-60 in less that 13 seconds. It does have a 16v instead of an 8v though. I love mine, and you'll love that. Can't wait to see pics of it!!

·
Banned
3,445 Posts
Roughly 82% of the joy in owning an old 8v NA is finally achieving the speed limit without a hill to help you out. Driving a slow car fast is one of life's greatest pleasures, enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
My 85 started off as an 8v, and I still managed to have a lot of fun with it. It sure was slow, but it never once let me down, even when the timing guides were shot and it was running on 3 1/2 cylinders.

·
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is challenging! You get to use maximum power almost all the time. Trying to out-run cars from a stop-light when you are next to something like a fully loaded V6 minivan that is taking off totally normally is a fun game, it feels like you are in a serious drag race. You never know who is going to win in a situation like that.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Roughly 82% of the joy in owning an old 8v NA is finally achieving the speed limit without a hill to help you out. Driving a slow car fast is one of life's greatest pleasures, enjoy it.
Without a doubt.

When I picked up my '83 8V base model I was pleasantly surprised at how great it was around town and for 'driving for the sake of driving': Simple, clean, and not fast enough to get you into trouble. It also made me appreciate my turbo Saab even more.

It is challenging! You get to use maximum power almost all the time. Trying to out-run cars from a stop-light when you are next to something like a fully loaded V6 minivan that is taking off totally normally is a fun game, it feels like you are in a serious drag race. You never know who is going to win in a situation like that.
Everyone nearly rear ends me between my 1st and 2nd gear shift after stop lights/signs. They clearly don't expect that.

We should drag Edel against Li'l Red one of these days, DeLorean. I think we could probably charge admission for that showdown.
I'd watch.

Also, in it for pictures. Seems like a nice catch!

·
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We should drag Edel against Li'l Red one of these days, DeLorean. I think we could probably charge admission for that showdown.
The 92 is not exactly fast, but I am fairly sure it will do 0-60 inside of the 10 second range. It would likely beat it inside of a 1/4 mile by SEVERAL seconds. It does have a 28 HP advantage, more torque and a better power band due to the DOHC & EZK ignition.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I just saved a 1982 white hatchback base model from junkyard. 302k miles on it, interior is great, exterior is great, nice Inca wheels, blown 8v engine. $300 I just could not see it go to junkyard. I always looked for bone base model 900 and could not find it. Base models are the best for modding, they the lightest and more solid do to no sunroof.

·
Registered
50 Posts
One of the best 900s I've had was an '88 base model 8 valve with an auto, which I believe was the last year of the 8 valve. It sounds slow, but surprisingly it makes for a faster take off at stop lights than the comparable 8 valve 5 speed. Unfortunately, the sound of an 8 valve turning at 3500 rpms on the highway is just a little too much for a person to take for long and that ended up being the deal breaker when I saw a nice 16 valve turbo show up for $200 (I actually drove it home and my wife drives it daily now). I did love the sound of the 8 valve in that auto with the pedal on the floor from a stop through 75mph though. It sounded a whole lot faster than it actually was for sure!

·
Registered
433 Posts
that's awesome. Glad you saved it from possible scrapping.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts