Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my 1984 turbo has started driving poorly..I noticed the steering acting badly. I did some investigation and found that the passenger side upper A arm bushing have gone away..I want to try and get this car back on the road..Do I have to pull the engine to repair the A arm bushings? I have been told that it is best to pull the engine to do this nasty repair..Thanks in advance
zym

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Passenger side will be much easier with the CIS bucket and alternator removed, but the CIS injector lines will probably be very stiff and are extremely easily broken if you decide to do that - I'd start with moving the A/C (if you still have it) and alternator and see where that gets you.

The passenger side bushings usually go sour long before the driver's side ones because of the heat from the exhaust nearby, at least in my experience.

Soak the big nut holding the bushing on for a few days with periodic squirts of penetrating oil, even in dry climates they tend to rust up pretty easily.

Drew

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
x2. That's the way I did the ones on my son's car. Just remove and replace one side at a time. I made a wood wedge and forced it between the a-arm cross member and the shock tower to take the pressure off the a-arm and easily slide the bushing mount off. Don't mix up or misplace the alignment spacers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts