Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rebuilt a 1983 900 shifter using parts from a 1986 and a 1981 shifter. Quite interesting set up. While I was at it I restored the reverse gear lock-out that the previous owner had removed. This of course now means that the reverse lights will work, too, which is pleasant. I understand that many people prefer custom built short-shift mechanisms for these transmissions on the early 900s before '87 (as I understand it) when the gear shift mechanism was then internal. I was advised to use silcone grease but some EP-1 moly grease seems to work just as well, in filling the cavity.

Adjustment in this model without the pin required a bit of jockeying about with the shifter and the adjustment hob behind the firewall. As I was advised 3/4 gears are good for base points and then sorting out 5th-reverse. Not very complicated but certainly the spring-loaded block in front of the shifter, designed to control 3/4th gear as the base point is difficult to find in front of the shifter and under the heat ducts in the early 900s. It does seem that the reverse pin distance, as shown in the Bentley manual, for this year is 22.5 mm in length as adjusted rather than 26.5 as in the Saab trans manual for earlier models of 4th and 5th speed transmission, so far as I could determine.

All in all, difficult to find parts for this variant, but thanks to Carparts. com, and a private reference I found what I needed. It does seem unduly complicated but the move to put all adjustments inside the transmission avoided all this difficulty.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts