Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, not a Saab, but was hoping someone might be interested. Bummed to do this, I love this little car, but I have three cars and need the money.

Ignore the Virginia plates... That's how it was originally plated and I'm using old and new pix to show the car. It's fully titled and plated in Minnesota, with current tab registration til January 2010.

1983 BMW 320iS $2k

Putting my hennarot (orange) BMW up for sale. It's a 1983 BMW 320iS, the last year for the E21 before the E30 arrived stateside. The "S" is for Sport designation, which means it has a 5 speed manual transmission, 25% limited slip differential in the rear, fantastic Recaro sport seats, front air dam, dual operation manual sunroof, and leather sport steering wheel. It is 1.8L, 105 angry german horses, and returns about 25mpg mixed condition driving.

Runs and drives very well. Little cranky (hah) in the morning but will kick over. Tends to idle a little high for a bit after cruising on the highway. It's probably an adjustment that a shop with more knowledge about these old M10 engines could take care of. Has one of the most amazing shifters I've ever driven.

Car has approximately 240,000 miles on it. I say approximately because the odometer didn't work when I got it, but does now.

Body is in good shape. There is surface rust around the edge of the passenger door, but someone with more inclination in body work can easily take care of it. Otherwise the paint and structure are in good condition. That orange, when buffed, is a head turner. I had a guy nearly wipe out on his bike gawking, and another guy run across a busy street just to take a picture.

Interior is also in good shape. The seats are not torn. Dash top is a little cracked. The carpet is stained under the clutch pedal, as the master cylinder was leaking, but the floormats cover it anyway. There's an aftermarket AM/FM casseette player that works well, as do all four speakers.

Things I've done since I picked it up:

- New tires. If they had more than 800 miles I'd be surprised.
- New clutch master cylinder
- New brake master cylinder
- New front right wheel bearing
- New starter motor
- Fixed the speedometer/odometer

I had picked this up with the intention of turning it into an autocross toy, as out of the box it's pretty well suited for such endeavors. Things change. I'll probably regret selling it, it's a fun little bugger.

Car is located in Hopkins, MN, and can be viewed after 6pm weekdays or arranged to view on the weekend. Title is clear and in hand. Asking $2,000.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
very nice car man... if i weren't in snow country i would snag it. always loved those early 3s

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I drove one of these when my car was down as a loaner from a friend. Had around the same mileage but did not show as well as yours does. I really loved that car. I was surprised how much zip the car had for that mileage. Great manual trans. Too bad you are so far away.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I took it for a spin. It's an honest deal and an honestly good car. It makes much "i am going fast noise" but doesn't really. That's part of the charm. Runs like a gem the breaks need bleeding other then that not bad. I passed because I want a true 3rd car. Something more impractical like a 2 seat vert. Like a S2000 or Miata.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Cool car. These style Bmw's, like most of 80's cars, have such a unique, love it or hate it, look to them.

·
Registered
319 Posts
hmm new brake master cylinder but mushy brakes. strange.....anyway if my 92 900S sells soon I'll be all over this, Ive had one of these and a few others 3 series, loved the 320....

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Brakes are only kinda mushy because I did the MC but hadn't done a full fluid flush. I'm lazy. I admit it :p

It would be a fantastic conversion with an M10, one of the E30 inline 6's. I just don't have the time/money/effort to turn this thing into what it could be. As it sits it's a fun daily. It's a good body, great interior, and a giant engine bay begging for a big 6 in it ;)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Sweet car, 240K isn't even broken in for this engine, Bavauto.com sells the odometer replacement gears I think they are like $60 and it's a pretty easy job to change them

-Chip

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had already fixed it. It was actually a busted maintenance box between the speedo and the transmission. Odo/speedo work just fine now :)

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Back from the dead...

I had a lot of interest, but I think the car just doesn't fit into an image one way or another of what they expected. Most people who came to look at the car were thinking it was a modern car for daily driving. It's not. A few people were enthusiasts who were hoping to find a mint car that needed nothing. It's not that either. I consider it between the two. It can be a daily driver (I do sometimes), but it is not a track ready toy. So I dunno...

I had someone really interested in it, he was moving money around, came to look at it, said he'd have the money ready in a few days. Few days came and went, asked him what's up and he said the wife put the kibosh on it. Wives. I was like hmm, okay, well if you get your balls back gimme a call.

The good:

New ignition control unit, new cap, new rotor, new plugs. Tires are about a year old but don't have very many miles on them, perhaps 900-1000.

Heat works :p A/C was deleted long ago.

Runs and drives fine. One of the best action transmissions I've ever driven.

It's RWD. It's gorgeous. The interior is in fantastic shape (other than the dash).

The bad:

Battery tray corroded and half broken. Holds battery okay but you won't pass tech inspection like that.

Could use new suspension, I feel like the bushings are dried.

The friggin odo cable broke again. I should like to find whoever designed this setup and beat them. I have not ordered a replacement yet.

Other than that, it's a fun little car. I don't want to sell it, but I have a feeling if I sold the convertible, I'd regret that more.

So here she is again. $1500, pick up, in Hopkins outside of Minneapolis. I'd be willing to drive and meet up within a reasonable distance.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I really want this car. I'm trying to sell an older truck I have that I never drive anymore and if I do I definitely want to look at it. Seeing how well you took care of the viggen I know this car has to be nice.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts