Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally have my car together after a few month long ordeal......... loving the LSD, finally lets me put power down in turns w/o leaving a cloud of smoke. I haven't beaten on it to hard but so far so good.

Also put the AP Racing brakes that were on my SPG on the viggen.... dam do they have some power. I did a few stops from 80mph to 20ish & it's pretty awesome...... TONS of stopping power...... barely touching the pedal & they stop a lot better then the stock viggen brakes.

also have a -18t turbo that was built for the car & so far so good. I hear a slight groaning noise when it starts to spool which last time I heard that the turbo broke on me. Hopefully it's just the nature of this turbo..... time will tell

& also the T5 cams.... that along with the turbo seems to make the car behave really well. Still taking it easy but it seems to reduce that low end kick of tq.......

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I purchased the LSD from MTAERO on this site/saabnet actually. I purchased my AP brakes from him many years ago & we were talking this past summer & he mentioned he had a viggen trans with LSD he would be willing to sell so I purchased it from him. He might have another trans laying around he could sell.... shoot him a PM

I believe Nick/genuine sells LSD's

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Even with stock power (viggen) they are needed. My car would do 1 tire burnouts quite easily when going under 40ish mph..... with added power they light up quite easily thus that much more important. At the track there were several turns in the 50-60mph range that I would sping the inside tire.....

I had a LSD in my SPG so I knew it was going to help........

Any speed... any turn.... stomp on the gas & you just go. Before it was spin-feather throttle.... spin.... feather throttle until the road was straight & even still sometimes it would spin a tire.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
I still had plenty of wheelspin still after the LSD. Except instead of one wheel spinning and feeling like it would fly off the road, both wheels spun and the car still pointed straight.

I had it in my head that the LSD would be the cure all for the Viggen's traction issues. It is not. The car should have had it from day one at stock power levels. But upping the power and then adding it, well the improvements in traction fight a losing battle against the increased power.

I wish the car could have been tested in '99 with good tires, LSD, full VRK and Koni Kit. I think all the press would have been very different.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
true..... enough power & both will spin... true with any car FWD or RWD .... my SPG did that with the LSD & I haven't given my viggen 100% throttle yet just to be sure the ECU/turbo/etc get enough time to not run lean.

My friend/mechanic said if the car was rear wheel drive it would be a great car.... sad but true :)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Lots of info on the net on LSD and front wheen drive, some say to install, some don't.
GM, did you install the T5 cams yourself as I have some sitting in my garage that I need to get to, if so how did it go? Also, did you install them without having a shop clean them up?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't install them myself..... charged me I think 3hrs to do the swap :(

the engine is so smooth now.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Gary,
Glad to learn that you have installed the LSD! I had this done to my Viggen back in '07 by Scanwest in Seattle, WA and have to say that it completely changed the characteristics of the car. A friend of mine took it for a drive after the install and said "Your car is now a lot less exciting to drive." He meant that in a good way.

-Mike

·
Registered
671 Posts
pics!

Finally have my car together after a few month long ordeal......... loving the LSD, finally lets me put power down in turns w/o leaving a cloud of smoke. I haven't beaten on it to hard but so far so good.

Also put the AP Racing brakes that were on my SPG on the viggen.... dam do they have some power. I did a few stops from 80mph to 20ish & it's pretty awesome...... TONS of stopping power...... barely touching the pedal & they stop a lot better then the stock viggen brakes.

also have a -18t turbo that was built for the car & so far so good. I hear a slight groaning noise when it starts to spool which last time I heard that the turbo broke on me. Hopefully it's just the nature of this turbo..... time will tell

& also the T5 cams.... that along with the turbo seems to make the car behave really well. Still taking it easy but it seems to reduce that low end kick of tq.......
Pics or you`re just like luca ;)

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I actually purchased them used 10 or so years ago from MTAERO, he had 2 sets & only needed one. So I put them on my SPG that I sold about a year ago. I wanted to keep the brakes & MTAERO wanted to swap parts so he could use the brakes on his 9K aero again & I wanted to use them on my viggen. He had a set of wheels which he stated the brakes fit around that were 17's so I put those on my car. They would fit around the brakes but they would touch them oooooohhhh so slightly. So I added 3mm spacers instead of gringing off the wheel or caliper a little. Most 17in wheels will not clear at all.

I will take some pics....... later today or tomorrow

Mike... where did you get your wheels from? I am going to need a 2nd set of rims & I am thinking of getting the ones you have.......

·
Registered
671 Posts
depends

The big calipers require wheels with lots of offset on the spokes to clear. I only have a 2 sets out of many that will clear them. My CH 17s need a 4mm spacer.
I tried the 4 pots CP5200 AP RACING calipers and they fit under the 17" 5 spoke EVO rims...
Don`t know about the 6 pots CP5500 calipers :(

if anyone took the time to make a bracket. Evo/sti calipers would be cheap and easy.
a 13.2 inch rotor would be perfect, and the 4 pot brembos are great, as well as fitting under 17's.
Rather than paying up to 1.800 GBP (some 2.500 USD) on a brand new kit, I took my time and hunted on ebay...took the calipers, in absolute mint working condition (with 9-3og matching brackets and worn out discs & pads) for 300 GBP ;)
New street-race pads and slotted friction rotors (those are free-floating assemblies) will cost some 500 GBP, thus resulting a total of 800 GBP for the kit ;)

P.S. for a good tech, fabrication of calipers is not a big deal at all...lucky for you, guys, you have Nick T. on your side of the Ocean. If I were you, I would just dig for my choice of BBK calipers (brand, color, type, s.o.), decide for the matching discs (one-piece or free-floating, AP RACING/BREMBO/STOPTECH/s.o.) and then just pay the price to Nick to make the required calipers.
I expect totals of under one grand for a BBK on our cars ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mike... where did you get your wheels from? I am going to need a 2nd set of rims & I am thinking of getting the ones you have.......
Hi Gary,
I purchased the SSRs from a local dealer who simply gave me the best price that I could find in the Bay Area. They are close to 6 lbs lighter than the stock Viggen wheels. (No, it's not my intent to start yet another debate on the merits of reduced wheel weight.)

-Mike

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LOL..... by the way.... really like some of the pics on your website.... especially the ones which do not have cars in the pics...... waterfall...... driving while following a biker etc..... haven't seen those in a while :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Did you happen to upgrade the intake pipe to either the GS SS pipe or the 2006+ cobra?

Im interested in one of these with a similar Viggen.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts