Saab Link Forums banner

1600 HP 3.2 liter V6

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  DeLorean 
#1 ·
interesting, this is the same "global platform" engine that's going to be in the new 280 HP 9-3's next year...

http://www.60degreev6.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=38297#

quite powerful I would say :shock: I think that tuned this new V6 is going to have some serious kick. I like that this new saab engine is based on the old style 60 degree V6 engines. a tried and true GM block design going way back to the 60's and evolving every since. sure to be a reliable engine!

#5 ·
well as far as I know, GM fixed that. I think the issue is going to be traction at low speeds and probably torque steer. with the modern day equal length drive shafts and TCS, I think that will probably be less of an issue than a lot of people think it's going to be...

#7 ·
well as far as I know, GM fixed that. I think the issue is going to be traction at low speeds and probably torque steer. with the modern day equal length drive shafts and TCS, I think that will probably be less of an issue than a lot of people think it's going to be...
Not to mention a LSD. If DODGE can figure out a sporty high powered FWD car needs one, why can't Saab? This should have been equipped on every Saab over 200hp.

#9 ·
saabvos said:
saab needs to incorporate an lsd into everyone of their cars as well as move off the fwd to an awd platform to handle bigger horse

i can't see saab as a rwd car, it has that appearance of a rugged rally car and who would drive a rwd rally car??
No need for AWD - just more expensive parts to fail and need relpacement - i am happy with FWD - they just need to have the Traction issue cleared up - and the newer ones - ng+ seem to have improved and slowly gotton this mark down - but for us Saab folk who take these cars and drive them like they were meant to be - the Traction is lacking... a GOOD LSD would cure this and an AWD platform would not be needed. Why create another problem if you can simply correct the issue at hand. I see AWD as a way out of designing a Proper FWD system.

#10 ·
BurnsSide42 said:
saabvos said:
saab needs to incorporate an lsd into everyone of their cars as well as move off the fwd to an awd platform to handle bigger horse

i can't see saab as a rwd car, it has that appearance of a rugged rally car and who would drive a rwd rally car??
No need for AWD - just more expensive parts to fail and need relpacement - i am happy with FWD - they just need to have the Traction issue cleared up - and the newer ones - ng+ seem to have improved and slowly gotton this mark down - but for us Saab folk who take these cars and drive them like they were meant to be - the Traction is lacking... a GOOD LSD would cure this and an AWD platform would not be needed. Why create another problem if you can simply correct the issue at hand. I see AWD as a way out of designing a Proper FWD system.
well what was that quote from the saab engineer? something about 200hp being the absolute limit for FWD? :lol: silly engineers.

Paul

#11 ·
as I recall, it was 220. With FWD tech being what it was back then (no TCS, un equal length drive shafts, 195 60 15 tires, 220 probably is right up there at maximum. also, all this talk of LSD's. there is no need for one really IF you have a good traction control system. traction control basically does exactly the same thing as an LSD, it just does it with the brakes on the car rather than friction occurring inside the differential. obviously TCS is set up differently on every car, but a good performance set up like Mercedes and BMW use on their RWD cars that has various "modes" would be just the thing for a 280 HP saab.

#12 ·
DeLorean said:
as I recall, it was 220. With FWD tech being what it was back then (no TCS, un equal length drive shafts, 195 60 15 tires, 220 probably is right up there at maximum. also, all this talk of LSD's. there is no need for one really IF you have a good traction control system. traction control basically does exactly the same thing as an LSD, it just does it with the brakes on the car rather than friction occurring inside the differential. obviously TCS is set up differently on every car, but a good performance set up like Mercedes and BMW use on their RWD cars that has various "modes" would be just the thing for a 280 HP saab.
man 280hp in a saab would be great...wonder how you could do that.....oh wait....i already know how to do that :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Paul

#14 ·
I would agree that an AWD car is better than a FWD car as far as putting power down in 1st and 2nd. however all things being equal, the FWD car will get better mileage on the highway, and will have more power in high gears due to the fact that there is less rotating mass in the driveline. Depends on what you are looking for I guess... if you are looking for a fast car that can beat just about anything from a light, AWD is what you want. A super fast highway car and 30 MPG, FWD will do the trick on that. I would not be surprised if this new Saab V6 motor that is rated for less power than the Subaru STI motor would out run one with a good measure on the highway, all while getting 30 MPG in normal driving conditions.

FWD, AWD, 4WD, RWD. I guess it depends on what you are looking for in a car.

#16 ·
LSD and TCS are completely different and TCS is no substitute. TCS gains traction by cutting power and using the brakes. LSD simply shifts power between the wheels. TCS is pointless...you might as well just not put the throttle down. LSD lets you use all the power while simply distributing the power between the front wheels. BIG difference. When I am jamming throttle out of a corner I dont want brakes, I dont want power cuts, and I don't want one wheel spinning. LSD is the answer.

#18 ·
xaamottomaax said:
LSD and TCS are completely different and TCS is no substitute. TCS gains traction by cutting power and using the brakes. LSD simply shifts power between the wheels. TCS is pointless...you might as well just not put the throttle down. LSD lets you use all the power while simply distributing the power between the front wheels. BIG difference. When I am jamming throttle out of a corner I dont want brakes, I dont want power cuts, and I don't want one wheel spinning. LSD is the answer.
I understand the variations between the 2, and I was talking about different TYPES of TCS here. the ones Saab used for years does exactly what you said. reduces power and boost and applies the brakes. however, this is not the only way to do TCS. you can have an open diff and settings for your TCS that can do everything from winter mode, to nothing at all, to simply applying the brake to the wheel that's slipping to transfer power to the other wheel. Once that point is reached, it could modulate the brakes so that the wheels are spinning at the same rate, essentially, acting as an LSD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.