Saab Link Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found 160 MPH last week. This was from the GPS and I know that’s accurate. I had to slow down b/c I still have the snow tires on the car and they were having trouble keeping up with the car. I still had about 2300 RPM before redline and really believe 175-180 MPH is possible. Not that I will be in the middle of the desert anytime soon but with my summer rubber that drive could be more interesting. BTW I was between Denver and Vegas.

·
7,595 Posts
EEP! Most Snow tires are Q-rated (98 MPH MAX!) I am not going to rag on you for going that fast, but you have any idea how dangerous running a Q-rated tire at 150+ is?? I can't beleive the side-walls kept it together... I don't even think it's a good idea to push an S-rated tire much past 120, but you took something worse than that, and blasted it to 150+... wow.......

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
don't you read the ratings on snow tires!! OMG! Please do not push that again.. but my question is - if you were in the desert... what's with the snow tires? Wishful thinking perhaps? :p

·
Registered
745 Posts
sounds like he's trying to kill a SAAB..

I wonder what it would have cost to be towed from the middle of the desert. Anybody want to place bets on how many more runs like that he can make before breakdown?

lol

·
7,595 Posts
well, I think it's more of a roll over & death you have to worry about with 150+ on winter tires, not a tow. get some Z-rated all weather tires on there before you do that agin... keep it under 90 with snow rubbers on the thing, sheesh!

·
Registered
361 Posts
160 mph ... pfftt ... that's too fast for me on public USA roads. Maybe the Autobahn ... right now I'm workin' on muh 0-160 ... forget top speed. I want accelleration that makes me wet muhself. :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the kind replies.

I was still using the snow rubber b/c I left in the middle of an 11" snowstorm here.

I not saying this was the best Idea, and of course I would have preferred to have the SO3's on. BTW my EGT was still sitting at normal operating temps.

SaabTuner said:
... right now I'm workin' on muh 0-160 ... forget top speed. I want accelleration that makes me wet muhself. :D
You obviously haven't seen the specs on my ride, acceleration is incredible from about 20MPH straight on up to ???? check out my site if you haven't already.

Please don't tag me as a speed demon, this was an isolated incident. I simply spaced what rubber I was running and was blown away at how quickly the car reached insane speeds.

Keep it shiny side up, have a great day!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
haha, that's awesome dude, you should've taken a picture of the speedo.

what happens if the speed rating on the tires is passed? i've always wondered that

~justin

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
saabguy said:
what happens if the speed rating on the tires is passed? i've always wondered that~justin
Passing the speed rating on tires is not always as detrimental as some have discussed. If the speed rating is 120 and you hit 122 you will probably notice anything.
I'm sure if you search the net you can find some vids that show the extreme. The one that sticks in my mind is a supercharged mustang on cheap ass 4/$99 tires doing ~180 or so. The car is pushing the tires and before they blow up from heat/friction they will start to loose traction. It looks like controlled & evenly timed puffs of smoke from behind the car.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not sure if it's gear limited or aerodynamics. I would guess Aerodynamics. Wind resistance is related to the third power of speed. Obviously the equation is more complicated but the third power is going to control the answer.
This means that for 154 MPH wind resistance is a unitless ~ 3,652,200
Also for 167 MPH wind resistance is a unitless ~ 4,657,500
for comparison at 70 MPH wind resistance is a unitless ~ 343,000
That an order of magnitude difference.
ERP had done some of these calculations, he might know better than I.

·
Registered
584 Posts
CO-Saab said:
I'm not sure if it's gear limited or aerodynamics. I would guess Aerodynamics. Wind resistance is related to the third power of speed. Obviously the equation is more complicated but the third power is going to control the answer.
This means that for 154 MPH wind resistance is a unitless ~ 3,652,200
Also for 167 MPH wind resistance is a unitless ~ 4,657,500
for comparison at 70 MPH wind resistance is a unitless ~ 343,000
That an order of magnitude difference.
ERP had done some of these calculations, he might know better than I.
I understand drag quite well.

What I want to know is this - at redline in the higest gear, what speed would the Viggen be going (assuming it could go that fast)?

An equivalent question would be, at X speed in top gear, what is your rpm's? From an answer to that question, you could calculate the answer to my question. ;)

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
saabguy said:
what happens if the speed rating on the tires is passed? i've always wondered that
justin
Well - basicially - loss of traction followed by a loud :boom: and the tires blow out causing you to most likely panic and loose all control and probably end up totaling the car and taking out either a pole or some pedestrian who got into your way. :roll: 8) :p

·
7,595 Posts
If you overrun your tires for a short period of time, I don't think you have to worry too much. However, making a habit of this is very bad... the reason so many OEM manufacturers of sports cars recommend Z-rated tires is because the sidewalls are more stiff, and they will provide better handling and less side-wall flex at ALL speeds, thus making for a batter handling car. When you over speed a tire, there are several risks you run, not limited to but including, side wall disintegration, tread separation, loss of tire pressure, or a blow out when you hit something as big as.... ooooh, say a thumbtack :lol:

·
Registered
584 Posts
BurnsSide42 said:
maybe it's a no response cause no-body's yet to find that answer - it could just keep going! lol :lol:
If someone would just say "at X speed in top gear I'm turning Y rpm's" then I could figure it out on my own. :D

·
Administrator
668 Posts
I took my viggen to 155.... I did not really have that much time to look... due to the extreem speed but i think it was really close to the red line. How did you get to 160 with 2300 RPM to give?

·
Registered
745 Posts
I believe the gearing ratio on Viggen cars are higher then the tranny/diff on standard SAABs . You guys are somewhere around 4.x - 1 if I remember right, whereas typical SAABs are about 3.x - 1.

The smaller gear ratios ....mean less rpm, better fuel economy, and not as wirery off the line. Whereas on a Viggen, with the higher gear ratios ....run higher rpms on the top-end, but wirery off the line.....hence the nature of a Viggen. That's why those Viggens have an awesome launch capability.

But curiously I wonder which car has a better top-end.....modified Turbo SAAB with same HP and turbo as a Viggen or a standard Viggen. That might be an interesting race....
hmmmm

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.