Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
2011? No.

If there's no infusion of non-mob cash, 2012
If the shady financiers come back to fund the launch of the new 9-3? 2014-2015
If Saab-Spyker sells the name and operations to Geely, ChangFeng or Great Wall? Who knows......

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
They'll be fine. With such a low break even point, things will be looking pretty rosy in 2-3 years.

*Also, Saab USA doesn't technically exist anymore. So perhaps they're late on that one. It's Saab Cars North America.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I didn't see Apple mentioned on there.

wtf?

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
They'll be fine. With such a low break even point, things will be looking pretty rosy in 2-3 years.
A fair point, and one that was definitely used to spur optimism for the deal. I think the pessimism comes from the fact that the "break even point" always depended on leaning on GM for platforms and drivetrains. The 9-4 rebadge is a great example of that....

Here's the problem: US sales have been far dimmer than predicted. Saab tried to put a shiny fig leaf on that with the announcement of its 2010 sales figures. There's the usual corporate PR slant-speak -- "ongoing momentum"..."strong performance"...etc...-- but buried down near the bottom was the "oh shit" info:

Victor Muller, CEO of Spyker Cars N.V. and Chairman of Saab Automobile, said: "These figures show that Saab Automobile is firmly establishing itself as an independent car manufacturer and reflects the tremendous tenacity shown by all our employees and dealers in what has been an incredibly eventful year for Saab.
"One of the largest challenges in 2010 was to restock our dealers around the world to normal levels again, especially in a market like the United States, where you need dealer stock in order to be able to sell cars. For instance, when we acquired the company in February 2010, there were a mere 500 cars left on the ground in the United States. Normal inventory levels in this market should be at 6,000-7,000 units.
"In 2009, Saab Automobile sold 39,800 cars, but built only 21,000. As a result, inventory levels were depleted by almost 19,000 units. In 2010, we only filled the pipeline with less than 4,000 units. All in all, with all the accomplishments made so far, I am very confident that the foundations for delivering on our business plan are in place."
That's likely one of the reasons Saab Cars North America COO Mike Colleran was ousted just a year into the job, and just days after that sales report.

What really sucks is that the new 9-5 is an awesome car, the one Saab needed for years, and it might be one of the last....

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Actually what really sucks is the deals on the 2010s are eclipsing the selling prices on a lot of the used Saabs sitting on dealer lots. It's ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Yeah, I hear ya Mike. I think they (VM and company) underestimated the hill they have to climb, in terms of a PR battle. Sales are much lower than expected, but I expect them to rebound as the economy continues to recover.

From what I understand in interviews with Jason Castriota, the next 9-3 will be the make or break car for Saab. I think they can more or less absorb the hits (yeah probably through mob money :)) until the next 9-3 has been given a fair shot on the market. By that time brand image should be MUCH improved.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Yeah i'll save my judgement for after i see the new 9-3, also Saabs marketing in the US has been total shit, i havent seen one ad except for a billboard that my local dealer put up, and a few little blurbs online. So many people i run into don't even know that Saab still exists, they all think it got shut down. I've had atleast 10 conversations about that with random people that i've run into since my parents bought the new 9-5,

·
Registered
142 Posts
I think it says alot that the 3 existing dealers in Dallas/Fort Worth (all from the same group) have dropped the brand and Saab still hasn't introduced a new dealer to replace them. The 9-5 hasn't been introduced at all in the #4 market in the US.

From the amount of 9-3's I see on the road around here, the customers are here, so the prospective replacement dealers must be wary of investing in the brand.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I expected to see Blockbuster on there, and I'll dipped in shit if I'm going to let Sara Lee go down the tubes.

She & Little Debbue are two of the most important ladies in my life.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
I personally believe they are waiting for a mass barrage of marketing for when the 9-5 model has all of the variants in the states, all interior parts supplier issues worked out, and perhaps when they actually release tangible evidence of the 9-3 existing in sheet metal. However, I also agree that Saab is not doing enough to spark some interest in the brand or even to solidify that they are still a viable company to the general public.

Only time will tell on this one though!

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
i still run into people on a regular basis that thought saab went out of business. car people. i understand adverts cost money, but it's hard to sell cars if everybody thinks you're dead.

also, i would be so pissed if borders goes under!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I thought about this, And have my speculations, GM was trying to Sink saab forever. This article is Probably just another FU to the brand from the former owners. GM doesn't want a compeditor like SAAB, Really, Who writes this Shit? Who the Fuck gets to say who stays and who goes, Would you buy a New Saab if you actually believed an article like this? Most Morons would. What Great Sabotage, I call GM Sci-op

·
Registered
142 Posts
i understand adverts cost money, but it's hard to sell cars if everybody thinks you're dead.
That is the truth, and once you lose the US market, its really hard to break back in. Lots of Euro brands never got back since puling in the 70s and 80s

1 - 20 of 34 Posts