Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm contemplating purchasing a 9-3 that was in a wreck with the airbag deployed.

First off, is the airbag interchangable between the '03-'10 vehicles, or are certian years different? What years would fit an '07?

How would I reset the SRS light? Do I need access to a Tech II with a CanDi box? Or can I just put in the airbag and clear the computer?

This vehicle would have a salvage title and would have to go through state inspection so having the air bag light on (and bags inop) would not be acceptable.

TIA!

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
First off, is the airbag interchangable between the '03-'10 vehicles, or are certian years different? What years would fit an '07?

How would I reset the SRS light? Do I need access to a Tech II with a CanDi box? Or can I just put in the airbag and clear the computer?

TIA!
More details needed - what air bags - what are the parts car years

EPC can answer all... just need information to double check against.

You WILL need a Tech II with a CanDI unit to reprogram and clear all the systems once back in order.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Is the State of Insanity going to certify that the Saab is going to hold up in a crash?

Heck no. How do you know how well the welds were done. Salvage at a young age like your car as a 2007, usually means that the damage was extensive or more probably it was a "clip"; a good front is spliced to a good rear.

Personally, I would not trust a clip holding up when doing something like meeting another vehicle sideways or at an angle.

Safety is more than airbags. It is also in the way the metal will deform but will hold up around you.

Is this car like way below book? I think they only pay like 10% of value for a total so add labor and it should be a car that is super reduced.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Tunnan has a very good point, but very basically:

Airbag: As long as it's from the correct steering wheel, it should work fine. The buttons are on the steering wheel on the '06+ cars, so nothing major to worry about there.

Airbag Light: Once the airbags have deployed, the SRS control unit is permanently 'DEPLOYED' and cannot be reset, not with a Tech2, not by a dealer, not by anyone. There are some companies that have hacked the boxes to erase the stored crash data (mandated on all new cars, started in like .... '05 or '06 or something like that). The crash data tells you which airbag(s) deployed, and which seatbelt pre-tensioner(s) deployed. Your choices are to buy a new 'blank' module, a used 'un-crashed' module (very hard to find, and I'm not actually sure if the programming can be done on a used one anyway, even with a Tech2), or buy a refurbed one from a company like www.MyAirbags.com. Any of these options have to be programmed by Tech2.

Read this thread: http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/bb/9-3/index.html?bID=142112

DISCLAIMER: The factory data says that when the airbags deploy, some of the ignition circuitry in the airbag control box fries itself on detonation, to avoid it's potential re-use. Some of the SRS components also contain 'one-time-use' style failure parts, like accelerometer switches that trigger the airbag when they exceed a certain deceleration, then break inside to make the electrical connection at a certain force level - these parts obviously cannot be re-used. If possible, get the airbag codes read for exactly why the light is on - there are several hundred things that can cause it, and some can be repaired without programming. Some cannot.

It could be extremely expensive to get the SRS warning off. Salvage cars in Cali now have to have all the warning lights off to be re-registered, and it is getting very problematic for us to deal with it.

Drew

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what I wanted to know. Here in WI the car has to be repaired and inspected. Everything has to be in working order.

We were looking at a '07 with the air bags deployed. It was a salvage car, it needed a bumper, two fenders, a hood and two air bags (and most likely seat belt tensioners). The car was $4995 with 30k on the clock, so I felt that was a good enough deal to repair. Unfortunately someone else felt it was a good enough deal as well, so we're watching for another.

Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Be sure you get under the car and better yet have someone who really knows body look at it.

Many cars can be put back on the road and the state may deem them road worth because everything works.

That does not make the car SAFE. What are they looking at? The wipers and directional signals work and there are no dash lights glowing.

The azz wipe pulled out in front of me. Car was total but frankly it looked as you describe; hood, fenders and grille. I have done a few cars with a fame like that. Old MG's and stuff with frames. Problems can pop up that will drive you nuts later. The car won't track properly, it will crab.

In my case I looked under the car that this guy's insurance examiner said was good to repair. I went back and took a last look and got on my belly. The pans had deformed. I'm sure that car got pawned off on someone but I sure hope that they did not get into an accident with it.

Get someone who really, really knows body work to give it look. Frankly I think your ego is driving you to want more than you can afford.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Frankly I think your ego is driving you to want more than you can afford.
*blinks*

That's a weird statement.

I own an '07 9-5 Aero, and my wife's '04 9-3 ARC Convertible...

My wife and I could AFFORD to buy her an '07, '08, even '09 9-3 (of any configuration that she'd like), however it don't make sence to buy another car to put 50k + mles per year on and watch it depreciate like that. I figure that with me being in the auto industry I could get one of these for a song and dance, fix it, and let her mile it out so I don't have to watch another car go from being worth 20+ K to 3k in three years...

I have a pretty good eye for making sure that things are repairable, and watching for body work/issues is something I've done before.

However I do appreciate that you think I have a big ego.

Oh and I just realized that you thought I'd be buying a car that was already reparied. The car was taken apart by the body shop, and was left apart so you could look at the structure, and obviously look under it.

That's why I asked the air bag question. Here in WI a dealer can't sell a car that's been repaired and hasn't been inspected, however a dealer can sell a vehicle that hasn't been repaired, therefore I couldn't buy one with a blown air bag from a dealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts