Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is the deal, I have a 2003 95 aero (manual of course) and I'm looking to do some modifications.
I have a $1500 budget that is slightly flexible, I do not really want to go over but if its worth it, than I can make exceptions.

Here is where I'm at...
1. JZW stage 3
2. Unsure about exhaust
3. K&N High flow Air Intake
4. Savior Short Shifter
?5. Forged piston diverter valve (with this I'm over budget)

With this list I believe I'm just under my budget without the valve. I'm personally a huge fan of the turbo in my aero and I really want to hear it more along with the "ppssshhh", hence the intake and possibly the diverter valve. (could I buy a used diverter valve and not have problems?) I have always dreamed of getting a short shifter for my aero, it has always bothered me/made me uneasy with how rubbery the shifter feels and I'm hoping to get a better more sturdy feel from it.

I don't really know where I want to go with the exhaust, I hate loud obnoxious exhausts so if I would need a quite one. But I wouldn't mind a really nice sporty sound to it :) If anyone knows of any nice exhausts I would appreciate any suggestions.

So That is where I'm at...Please please please respond, I'm looking for EVERYONES opinion on the mods and/or your recomendations!!

THANKS!!!!!!

·
Registered
703 Posts
not too sure, but do you need any hardware to go with the stg 3? ie. downpipe, 3inch exhaust or whatever? get the new genuine saab short shifter, ive only heard bad things about the savior, used diverter valve should be ok as long as its not broken haha. and exhaust will just have to be whatever sounds best to you, start by searching youtube for videos and sound clips till you find one you like. or have a shop make a custom one for you, might be cheaper, and itll be fit to your liking.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Can't recommend the GenuineSaab 3" Downpipe enough. Its seriously a work of art, and the sound is badass. With the DP and Remus exhaust I think the exhaust note is absolutely perfect.

Used DV should be absolutely fine. The Forge piston style ones can't really break... just need to be cleaned.

Here's a video I made of my exhaust a few months back. Not the best quality, but it gives you a good idea of the sound. Its pretty deep... not tinny like a fart can.

·
Registered
147 Posts
yeah, but where can you effectively BUY that exhaust? every where I have tried has basically told me it's not going to happen.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Well, really any exhaust with the center muffler removed and a quality rear muffler will sound very similar.

The Remus can be found if you look hard and have patience, though. Just gotta keep your eyes on ebay, craigslist, forums etc.

You could probably even buy a Remus rear muffler from any other car and have the tubing done at an exhaust shop.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So if I was to get all the proper hardware for a stage 3, that would need a Full 3" Exhaust and what other hardware upgrades. I know that you should probably follow what hardware you tuner says to get, but do you guys believe its absolutely necessary to get an intercooler? I'm sure its a really good idea, its just I would like to spend that money towards upgrading the handling.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Where are you from? I know that here in CA, especially during the summer, I can easily heatsoak the stock IC with a stock ECU. I imagine the intercooler makes quite a big difference... but it definitely isn't 'necessary'.

I hear you on wanting to work on the suspension. Stock handling leaves much to be desired and I still think the best money I've spent on the car was the shocks/springs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can definitely see why heatsoak is a problem in CA but I'm in Michigan and my aero get driven for about 8 months out of the year in outside temps of <70 Fo. So this is why I'm a little hesitant, but I have been looking at these GODSPEED type-L, FMIC turbo, CXRacing intercoolers that are only $130. Would these fit/work in my 2003 9-5 Aero? Has anyone tried any of these. Also approximately what size is the Stock intercooler?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I’d skip the Forged piston diverter valve. Its just bling and not adding any performance.

The cheapest exhaust upgrade is the full 3” JT system from GS. It has a 3” DP, just have to add a cat. I got the GS ss down pipe, but wish I would have got the JT system because it the whole works from turbo to tail pipe.

Get the inner cooler later when you can afford it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts