Saab Link Forums banner

1997 9000 CSE Turbo

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Troup 
#1 ·
Hey all. I'll be honest, I haven't purchased a SAAB yet but am looking at one.

My wife and I are looking at a 1997 9000 CSE Turbo for our 15 year old to learn to drive, learn to work on, and be her first car. This vehicle does have a few issues and I'm trying to find out if they're "fixable".

Yes I've Googled and I'm not coming up with much.

First: Reverse does not work. It is a manual transmission car and reverse will not engage. Does anyone sell refurbished transaxles or rebuild kits?

Second: The brakes "work" but they feel like the un-boosted brakes of an old Dodge pick-up. Could there be an issue with the vacuum lines of the brake booster?

The car in question is in good shape otherwise and we are looking at $500 to take it home. None of us are adverse to getting our hands dirty and learning a new skill as long as it's possible to do.

Thanks in advance guys.

#2 ·
Saab 9000 CSE advice on where to find help

I have a 1993 Saab 9000 CSE with the 2.3L turbo and automatic transmission. There are a lot of creature features in the car that can go wonky if you don't stay on top of them. They pop up randomly like little gremlins. They are fixable if you don't mind doing some home work. Look to YouTube for help videos with the CSE. There are other sites with tech data or instructions that are recommended if you are interested. In my car, the use of relays was plentiful. You should expect to replace a couple that deal with the headlights or other circuits.

Transaxles are readily available through most online or retail stores.

Check the front suspension springs to make sure they haven't gone soft. You likely will need the springs identified with Blue & White markings which designates the car with a sport suspension. They are hard to find. CARID has a set of springs for all 4 suspension points that drop the car by 1.6" if you find the springs too soft.

I believe there is a solution to work around for a faulty Traction Control System and may be affecting the transmission, not reverse though.

Go to one of several on line services like the THESAABSITE.com (good written help file) for helpful information, parts and pricing. There are 2 others that sell Saab parts too. eEuroparts.com and eSaabparts.com (great wire frame diagrams for all car assemblies).
Check out Saab9000.com for help.
RockAuto.com has carried some parts in the past, but that number is declining.

There can be a number of reasons why the breaks are working hard. I would plan to rebuild the break calipers, replace all of the fluid with quality DOT5 fluid and believe that will make a big difference. It's not that hard to replace the rotors or pads if severely worn. Lubricate all moving surfaces with quality break lubricant. Don't rely in the skinny little packets bought at the auto shop front counter.

The AC system can be an issue. If it works, leave it alone. Make sure the cabin filter is OK and not filled with garbage.

The hatch and hood support struts may need replacing.

Clean and wipes down all gaskets, including the sunroof. Treat with either specialty silicone or Vaseline to keep the gaskets soft. Use graphite-less spray on the steering wheel stock key socket to make it work easier.

Replace the O2 sensor, they don't last forever and it will help the car run better. Stay with NKG spark plugs if planning on replacing them.

These are just a few tips about the 9000 and really any car.

Good luck and I hope your daughter enjoys many miles in the CSE.
Warren

#3 ·
No reverse could very likely be related to the shift linkage for the transmission between the transmission and the firewall of the car. It could also be as simple is realigning the linkage.

I'm sure you've done this, but make sure you're lifting up on the collar that allows the shifter to move all the way to the right.

Transaxles actually aren't that easy to find. They're around if you dig, but they're not known to be the 9000's strong point. If you end up needing one, I have a collection and could maybe help you out.

Brakes -- The fluid has proooobably never been changed and is full of moisture. Exchange fluid and put some stainless brake lines on and I bet they'll feel much better. But yeah, you're gonna want to check that the booster is receiving vacuum as well. I'd just check ALL of the vac lines on the car. The earlier 9000's (Before 1994 or 93) used a different brake system that used an electric pump to generate brake pressure. Those are failure prone. Been there. But the 1997 system is superior.

9000's are actually super reliable cars once you get things sorted. But don't forget that this car is 23 years old. Stuff wears out on any machine, so don't get frustrated if you need to invest parts here an there. Very common complaint in the Saab community.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.