Maryland Inspection ......... - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Area Club Forums > WASSAAB > WASSAAB General Information

WASSAAB General Information General information pertaining to the Washington DC Saab Club

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Maryland Inspection .........

This state so sucks for inspection ! Had multiple failures today, all of which were legal in RI ! First was the E-codes (I know, not DOT approved). Next was the JT 3" exhaust - seems the exhaust can't be any larger diameter than the stock system. Next up was my seat - it's set back 3" on 1/4" steel frame that uses the OEM mounting bolts. Nor the Momo steering wheel - seems that it somehow modifys the steering column ?
So now I need to find an interim set of headlights to get through inspection, not to mention moving the seat, getting a stock steering wheel, and replacing the exhaust ...........

WTF ! !
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
Elder

I'll trade for the e-codes! If you need to borrow a set, let me know. Exhaust should be legal, especially if it was offered as a "stock" item.

Seats and steering wheel, same thing. It needs to pass at time T.

--Oliversexpedition

ETA: Md inspections suck, but its a one time, except emissions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
This state so sucks for inspection ! Had multiple failures today, all of which were legal in RI ! First was the E-codes (I know, not DOT approved). Next was the JT 3" exhaust - seems the exhaust can't be any larger diameter than the stock system. Next up was my seat - it's set back 3" on 1/4" steel frame that uses the OEM mounting bolts. Nor the Momo steering wheel - seems that it somehow modifys the steering column ?
So now I need to find an interim set of headlights to get through inspection, not to mention moving the seat, getting a stock steering wheel, and replacing the exhaust ...........

WTF ! !
94 C900 Vert - Sold
94 325i Vert

Last edited by oliversexpedition; 03-18-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-20-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

You need to go to a different station. That one must really be under the gun. The exhaust should be "OK". I didn't remember the seat being a checklist item. The steering wheel may be an issue because you deleted an airbag.

1997 900SE Talladega (SQR stage 4)
2006 9-3SS Aero

Old 03-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
They probably looked at you, then the car, then said, "this guy has got to be the most obvious undercover agent".
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 03-22-2011, 02:20 AM   #5

Maybe it was the two backup guns ......... But seriously, I installed a set of headlights, and factory steering wheel (courtesy of Frank) and went back yesterday morning to meet the state trooper from Maryland State Inspections. According to regulations, the exhaust will fail because it's a larger diameter than the stock system. The air bag should not be an issue due to the age of the car. The steering wheel failed because I had "modified" the steering column. I don't see how installing a different steering wheel counts as "modifying" the steering column, but then, I do wear pretty thick glasses .......
But we are looking at a house out in Lovettsville, Va this weekend !
Old 03-24-2011, 02:59 AM   #6

I'm almost legal ! Took the car to Lann's Service yesterday (as reccomended by Brewer's Saab). Still failed on the exhaust, but only because I have a leak. The bottom seam of the front muffler is rusted out - from the inside ! This on a JT system that was porcelain coated. So once I replace that muffler, I'll be good to pass inspection - just need to find a suitable replacement, and duplicate the hangers and piping .......
Old 03-25-2011, 08:06 AM   #7

No joy on just replacing that one muffler - and the rear muffler will also need to be replaced. I looked at Jetex and BSR, but there's a 2-3 week lead time, same with another JT. I only have til 6 April - so Monday morning I'm off to Maryland Performance exhaust (Performance Exhaust Maryland -- MBS is your Maryland source for custom performance exhaust).
They will make me 2 1/2" stainless system for the same price as the JT .......

I'll post pictures when it's done !
Old 03-25-2011, 02:09 PM   #8
Elder

Used a guy in winchester, he can fab up to 3" stuff, we cut in a 3 cat into my system. Maybe he can replace both mufflers?
94 C900 Vert - Sold
94 325i Vert
Old 03-25-2011, 11:22 PM   #9

Quote:
No joy on just replacing that one muffler - and the rear muffler will also need to be replaced. I looked at Jetex and BSR, but there's a 2-3 week lead time, same with another JT. I only have til 6 April - so Monday morning I'm off to Maryland Performance exhaust (Performance Exhaust Maryland -- MBS is your Maryland source for custom performance exhaust).
They will make me 2 1/2" stainless system for the same price as the JT .......

I'll post pictures when it's done !
Sweet. When can I come by and look?

2006 9-3SS Aero
Old 03-26-2011, 07:22 AM   #10

Randy, we might be living closer to you soon, we're looking at a house in Lovettsville, VA later today ........
My current work schedule is Mon => Thurs, 10:00 PM - 8:00 AM
Old 03-26-2011, 05:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Randy, we might be living closer to you soon, we're looking at a house in Lovettsville, VA later today ........
My current work schedule is Mon => Thurs, 10:00 PM - 8:00 AM
Lovettsville is SWEET! I'm off weekdays till 04/17.

2006 9-3SS Aero
Old 03-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #12
Elder

Nice! I used to live in Purcellville. Lovettsville is really nice! Good luck with the house hunting! (And the inspection).

'91 900 Turbo SE Convertible
'93 900 Turbo CE #116, modified
'02 9-5 Aero SportWagon, MT
'06 GTO, modified
'08 9-7X 6.0 Aero. The fastest stock Saab I've owned, bar none.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:40 PM   #13

The house we saw today was pretty nice - but the garage is not as big as my current garage (27' x 22'). But it's the best house we've seen so far ...
Old 03-30-2011, 02:24 PM   #14

Quote:
The house we saw today was pretty nice - but the garage is not as big as my current garage (27' x 22'). But it's the best house we've seen so far ...
Surely you have a "fine adjustment tool" which it what the trim carpentry business I helped called a sledge hammer available. Don't you?

2006 9-3SS Aero
Old 03-30-2011, 08:44 PM   #15

I have several "fine adjustment" tools, in various weights (sizes ?) . But this would still be a rental house, so no permanent adjustments - still looking for the suitable garage - with a house attached , of course !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in