Bought myself a first year, 1986 9000 Turbo (56K Warning) - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Showoff Forum > TSL Member's Saab pics

TSL Member's Saab pics Show off your Saab. Let us all indulge. Your pictures may later be added to a gallery.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2010, 09:18 AM   #1
Elder

Cool Bought myself a first year, 1986 9000 Turbo (56K Warning)

Part 1

So - as many of you have been aware, I have been on the search for a respectable 1986 9000 to pick-up. I have been missing my late 87' 9000 and kept catching myself looking back at old pictures of the car and it was just making me want one more and more. Well - thanks to POWAR sending me a link to a thread on Saab Central (amazing - people still go there) I immediately showed interest, contacted the seller and in less then a week - It was on. This past Saturday I drove down to Waldorf MD - just outside of the D.C. area to pick up this find.

A brief history:
“Dr. H” bought this 9000 new in 1986, a native German brought to the US by our government in the early 40's to work @ Goddard Space Flight Center for NASA - this car led a very clean, organized and documented life.
Quoted from Greg whom I bought this car from;
"When I picked up the car, he shared with me his handwritten notebook in which he had kept all of his service history: every cent he ever spent on the car, including oil changes and even fill-ups at the gas station! Unfortunately, intertwined with his notes were his observations/thoughts in general. I asked him (hesitantly) for a copy, but I could tell he was not completely comfortable with this, so I never protested.
I can tell you that he is (I swap between "is" and "was" because, even though he is still living, he retired many years ago) literally a brilliant, world-renowned rocket scientist who the U.S. extracted from Germany around WWII."
Greg had stopped driving the Saab (about 6 months ago), His reasoning as follows;
"It ran beautifully until the clutch went, which is still in need of repair. It has been parked in a garage its entire life up until two weeks ago when we inherited my wife's grandparents car ( a 1980 Chevy Caprice ) which my wife wants to keep for sentimental reasons in the garage, so out into the driveway the Saab went. My wife wants to just donate the car, but I don't want it to just end up scrap or who knows what else."
It was initially listed on Saab Central for $600 with Saab Service Manuals and an extra OEM radio - no one wanted it or came to buy it! I never even saw that ad - but then POWAR posted the link in my thread about looking for an 86' 9000: https://saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50345
As I said - I acted quickly as this car looked too good to be true - and for $300 now!
I set out Saturday to Reading with my father – up to the new EPL Performance homestead of DeLorean, Aireeca, and PaulH so that I may fix the grounds on the car dolly – grease and adjust the bearings as well as replace any bulbs as needed. Paul & I added a hand crank winch to the dolly – which later you will read ended up being worthless and a waste.
Now 3pm – dolly was deemed safe and all lights that needed to work, were. Attached to my 95’ 9000 we all headed out to get a late lunch @ the local Arby’s before I was off to MD.
Skip the 3 hour drive down to MD and my father and myself found ourselves in a rather nice older development of smaller houses – and at my last turn – straight back at the center of the cold-de-sac was the 9000 resting in the driveway – waiting to be moved. The owner – out of town on business had left instructions with me as to where keys and paperwork were in advance. First time anyone has ever issued me so much trust in buying a vehicle where I was to pick it up and take it home before paying for it – I wasn’t sure how to take to that concept as I know I would never do that if I was selling a car – but again $300 isn’t a large sum of change either.
After the initial walk around inspection it looked good – very good for $300! A few scratches here and there, some very minor bubbling @ the rear below the right tail light and the inner corner of the hatch opening on the left and the wavy door on the passenger front. Sagging headliner was also a known issue – though it’s not terrible, but will need to be repaired as well as the rest of the items in time.
I tried to start it – but it was stone dead! I popped the hood and found the ground taken off – and figured great, should start now – but alas, it was in fact stone dead. At this point I should have just pulled up next to it and ran my car on it and tried charging it a bit – but I was too excited to think straight. I removed the wheel chocks and instantly released the parking brake and rolled it back out of the driveway and into the street and into position to load. With my jump pack I tried to start it one more time and it would ½ turn over and click – so that was out. I unloaded the tow dolly near the car – set up to load the car up more or less and moved my car next to it and hooked the jumper cables up – let it sit for a few minutes and it fired right up! A little squealing – then the clutch started to smoke in neutral (as the pedal drops right to the floor without any resistance.) At this point – knowing the car ran, I shut it down to avoid anymore burnt clutch odors.
Now after hooking my car back up to the dolly and setting the ramps up – I hooked the winch onto the tow hook and started to wind it in. It pulled the car fine right up to the ramps and then started to get really tight. After slowly cranking and chocking back and forth – I noticed the winch which we had early attached quickly was starting to bend at the base – and the cable was starting to fray! Well that just made this harder as the car hadn’t even gotten its front tires on the ramps yet. My father had suggested trying to back the dolly up towards the car to force the car to roll onto the ramps – not thinking this was a good or effective Idea – I gave Paul a call to get some more ideas. The backing idea seemed logical if we raised the front end of the 86’s as high as well could – so that is what I tried. With both factory jacks lifting the front of the 86’ as high as they could safely and the rear tires chocked and the parking brake set – I proceeded to back my 9000 up with the dolly and it did start to slide under the tires and got about ½ way on – but even with the winch “helping” it wasn’t going to go any further. At this point I removed the jacks from under it. The sun had set about half an hour ago and now thunder and lightning was in the distance – what to do.
I thought about swapping my battery from my car – but I just didn’t think it would help, and I mostly was just loosing my motivation. As a last ditch attempted, I tried calling Tweak & Blaque to see if they were around and could come lend a hand to push or something – neither were answering.
At this point my dad and I were hot, tired and frustrated. I decided I was done for the night and I would have to make the 6 hour trip the next day or the following weekend. I was just beat – so we backed the car off the ramps and we pushed it between his driveway and the neighbors. After loading up most of my gear – I called Greg to tell him what was going on. I mentioned the stone dead battery which I wasn’t made aware of in advance and he hadn’t known about either – so he said he would call his neighbor and she was going to bring out another jump pack. I just needed enough power to get the starter to work long enough to get it up the trailer after all. Well – that jump pack was just as useless as mine – not enough amps.
Now 10pm – this extremely friendly neighbor suggested what I had thought a few hours earlier – swapping my battery and driving it on. I explained it wasn’t drivable – but I could disable the ignition and the fuel pump and just use the starter to drive it onto the dolly. So I finally pulled my battery after not really wanting to at first – and it was good. We pushed the car back into line with the dolly and I managed to “drive” it right on with just the starter in first gear in a matter of seconds. I really do not know why I was so resilient to do this earlier – such a damn lazy fool I figured. Glad it was on the trailer I thanked Greg’s neighbor for her kind spirit and recommendations.

I strapped the 9000 down and aired the tires on the dolly up a bit more and we were off! I stopped to top off at gas station and to air up the dolly tires the rest of the way and then we off on our three hour drive back to my job where I was leaving the car in the garage until I fix the clutch. Now since I removed the battery I had to enter the code in for my radio – uh-oh! I didn’t have my code so I tried a few locking my radio out! We now had a slow drive home with no radio…

for your repair needs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2010, 09:20 AM   #2
Elder

Cool Part 2

Maryland House Rest Stop;

After dropping the car off at my job, and taking my dad home, I finally got home and was ready for bed @ 4:30AM Sunday morning. The day had finally ended.

The first chapter is over – next up are the repairs. Here are some of the pictures the owner sent me – the car looks as good as the pictures! I will take more as I fix it up – but I plan to have this car at Carlisle 2011. 164,xxx miles and its all original.

Album here: http://picasaweb.google.com/BurnsSide42/19869000Turbo#
for your repair needs

Last edited by BurnsSide42; 08-24-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-24-2010, 09:31 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to WyldSaabMan
Looks like a nice Find.
Hopefully that makes up for the crappy day.
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP

Old 08-24-2010, 09:39 AM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Good pick up. I had a 86 9000T (360km's and pulling strong). I miss it. Keep that 1 as it is very nice shape.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Powar
Sweeeeet. I'm glad to hear that the deal worked out. I check SC once every couple of months... I guess my timing was just lucky this time.

Looking forward to seeing the updates and (hopefully) the car at Carlisle next year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:06 AM   #6
Elder

Yeah - I need to fix it fast as I already heard shit from the other boss inmy building about me having 2 cars in the building... both need slave sylinders lol I plan to fix my truck this weekend - then if I need to I'll put in some late hours next week and get the 9000 moving....
for your repair needs
Old 08-24-2010, 10:07 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 9000Andrew
Great buy. I saw that thread on SC and that car was such a steal. Clean car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 9-3 Aero 6mt
2005 9-3 Aero auto (wife's ride!)
Old 08-24-2010, 10:08 AM   #8
Elder

Came with;
3 Saab binders - all the dealer books for it
Original Radio
Spare 1987/1986 Radio and EQ
Original Grey Sheep Skin seat covers
Original Floor Mats in good shape.

Do the old 1986 Radio's (like tweaks SPG) have a radio code?
for your repair needs
Old 08-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 9000Andrew
PS- This car is begging for that cheaply priced 9000 airflow kit that was posted in the for sale section a little while ago.

2006 9-3 Aero 6mt
2005 9-3 Aero auto (wife's ride!)
Old 08-24-2010, 10:23 AM   #10
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to Saabotaged900T
Sweet find Jeff!
Old 08-24-2010, 10:31 AM   #11
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9000Andrew View Post
PS- This car is begging for that cheaply priced 9000 airflow kit that was posted in the for sale section a little while ago.
negative - this one is staying stock - as hard as that will be I want this to be a preserved car from this point on. It's an Antique come Jan.... 25 year old 9000's don't just pop up in good shape every day!
for your repair needs
Old 08-24-2010, 10:35 AM   #12
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Mine didn't...it was a Blaupunkt though - we bought the car in Germany, and we had it there for 5 years or so till we came to the US. I'm not sure what radios came in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsside42
Do the old 1986 Radio's (like tweaks SPG) have a radio code?

Last edited by BurnsSide42; 08-24-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:50 AM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Awesome car Jeff!

Old 08-24-2010, 11:16 AM   #14

the clarion(tape deck) in my 86 900 has a code... gotta hold the dst (i think) button and it was a 6 digit code..

btw SWEET og 9000... current plans for the super cs??
Old 08-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
Looks nice! Sweet tow dolly too . That Caprice though...yuck.

Paul

Old 08-24-2010, 12:48 PM   #16
Elder

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cde View Post
the clarion(tape deck) in my 86 900 has a code... gotta hold the dst (i think) button and it was a 6 digit code..

btw SWEET og 9000... current plans for the super cs??
thanks - I went to install the OEM radio and the harness in the car has not been cut - but the section which goes between was in order to fit the aftermarket radio (which has no face plate currently) - so I need to locate a set of those wires to plug the factory radio back in.

I noticed the 86's original radio is an all black face - where as the 87' has the red and green colored buttons on the radio - was the black face a rare thing? Mine has a loose rear connector - which I suspect is why it intermittently worked. I may open it up and see if there is a loose screw on the inside to the board perhaps.

My "Super" CS is going to keep getting super - however I am being told I can't do the manual swap now since I have too many manual cars and the 95' is the only back-up car Brittany can drive lol.... guess it's time to take her out in the Geo and teach her proper!
for your repair needs
Old 08-24-2010, 01:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnsSide42 View Post

My "Super" CS is going to keep getting super - however I am being told I can't do the manual swap now since I have too many manual cars and the 95' is the only back-up car Brittany can drive lol.... guess it's time to take her out in the Geo and teach her proper!
i'll tell ya.. i kinda FORCED my g/f into a 9k aero 5 speed when her cde(auto) shat the bed

she couldnt be any happier with the(my) decision

Last edited by 94cde; 08-24-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:54 PM   #18
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
Looks nice, I like all the 1986 specific components in the engine compartment. Needs a working factory radio, or at the least a newfangled clarion unit. Also, although it's not strictly "stock", a leather wrapped steering wheel from an 1989 convertible or SPG would improve the look there. Also, leather shift boot & center arm rest.

Do the headlights / turn signals work? Any "lamp errors"? Also, I may have a correct stereo for that. Maybe even one that works.

Last edited by DeLorean; 08-24-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:12 PM   #19
Site Moderator

Great find! Congrats on an amazing deal for such a clean car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnsSide42 View Post
I immediately showed interest, contacted the seller and in less then a week - It was on.
Sounds like you got a stiffy...
Old 08-24-2010, 08:14 PM   #20
User
Elder

Send a message via AIM to zingZACH
Looks to be very clean!!! Great find and congrats on the newest addition to the family!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in