My wagon comes through again... - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Showoff Forum > TSL Member's Saab pics

TSL Member's Saab pics Show off your Saab. Let us all indulge. Your pictures may later be added to a gallery.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2015, 12:08 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
My wagon comes through again...

I spent about 8 weeks tying up a deal to secure an original Initial D arcade game. Initial D is HUGE in Japan and for those who don't know its anime based on drifting hopped up Japanese cars down the mountains of Japan. There are usually less than 10 of these for sale in the country. My friends and I would travel 30 minutes to one of these and play for hours in college-it was 100x better than US crap like Daytona USA lol.

I picked it up in NC where I had it delivered to my friend there as I was on my way back from GA this weekend. It is 500-600lbs and the wagon took it like a champion. I even managed over 30mpg and the car never bottomed out. Some of the detail pics below are kind of neat. Based on how this is made it would not surprise me if these were $12-15k when ordered new 10yrs ago.

The seat has built in speakers and the platform is a beefy gauge of steel. The mechanism for adjusting the seat is very beefy. This pc alone is nearly 100lbs.

The monitor is about 32" and you think its a typical flatscreen which would be about 50-70lbs. Nope. It's all metal. Inside is a bunch of steel that supports itself to be bolted onto to some thick steel tubing. It weights 250-300lbs.

Off the steering wheel shaft is a beefy motor run off of a belt for force feedback, this is likely sourced off the shelf from something else.

This shot is with the removal of a big speaker plate where you can see the guts. The PC is marked 256mbs lol. The GD-rom in the lower right corner is what plays the game disc and is able to play the newer/better version of the game which I already got on eBay.

The good part is it was not that bad to take apart and it does have wheels that bolt on for transport. It came with some game cards which allowed you to save your game data and come back to the machine where you left off. It also came with the key to get into the coin/token box.

The challenge now is getting the damn thing into the basement. It is heavy as fuck and not something I am able to attempt myself. I have a local buddy to help me if my local handyman can't be bothered for a few bucks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2015, 01:42 PM   #2
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Soooo awesome. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-10-2015, 03:32 AM   #3
Elder

Oh my god! I would love that in my house!!

-Jason

1992 Saab 9000 Turbo - Cirrus White
1986 Saab 900 Turbo SPG Clone - Admiral Blue
1992 Saab 900 Base - Talladega Red

Old 09-10-2015, 05:07 PM   #4
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Mega-Win.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:51 PM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Very cool. I've wanted an arcade console for a while, I actually really liked the Daytona ones you mentioned. I never really had a favorite. Where do you find one other than craigslist? I've searched there on occasion with limited success for my area.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:01 AM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboy View Post
Very cool. I've wanted an arcade console for a while, I actually really liked the Daytona ones you mentioned. I never really had a favorite. Where do you find one other than craigslist? I've searched there on occasion with limited success for my area.
Ebay and Craigs/AdHuntr

I have actually seen Daytona USA for sale in MI.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:08 AM   #7
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

DUDE. This is awesome! I love Initial D. My friend and I were up in Indianapolis awhile back and in one of the big malls up there they had an Initial D Tandem game. It was awesome.

2003 9-5 Arc
Old 09-16-2015, 05:12 AM   #8
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

I would go nuts looking for my Initial D driver's license. Does this machine accept them?

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:26 AM   #9
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
I would go nuts looking for my Initial D driver's license. Does this machine accept them?
Oh shit. I forgot about that. I have mine somewhere as well.

I do see the slot on the right hand side of the console...
Old 09-16-2015, 05:53 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
Ebay and Craigs/AdHuntr

I have actually seen Daytona USA for sale in MI.
I would turn to murder if I heard "DAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYTOOOONAAAAAAAA!" from the basement every 20 minutes.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:44 AM   #11
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by srp View Post
Oh shit. I forgot about that. I have mine somewhere as well.

I do see the slot on the right hand side of the console...
yes, card reader works and came with a few working cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by g96nt View Post
I would turn to murder if I heard "DAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYTOOOONAAAAAAAA!" from the basement every 20 minutes.
Lol, its kind of a power hog so I leave the game turned off.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:25 PM   #12
Elder

Holy crap that's awesome!

Quote:
^ IronJoe doesn't park, he lands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in