The Saab Link Forums

The Saab Link Forums (https://www.saablink.net/forum/index.php)
-   Saab Owner's Convention (SOC) (https://www.saablink.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   getting to SOC avoiding detroit roads! (https://www.saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21053)

Tboy 08-20-2007 04:50 AM

getting to SOC avoiding detroit roads!

I am planning on coming up to SOC on saturday for the day only.

I've been to detroit a number of times (driven there) and usually come straight up I-75. I see that Troy is right off of I-75 as well.

The last time I went up to detroit, (last month) the construction on I-75 was pretty rough. This time driving the lowered saab I was wondering if there was a good way to go and avoid the construction (read drive on nice roads). Do good roads in Detroit exsist!?!?!

Seriously last time I was up there I kinda laughed that "motor city" had such poor driving roads!

Enlighten me! I am coming from Ohio, so I can get off of i-75 anytime, don't care about the extra driving time, and love a "spirited" drive.

Tboy

Jameson 08-20-2007 04:56 AM

My lowered Viggen spent all its time on 75 and survived. You are just going to have to deal with it.

bassplya38 08-20-2007 07:35 AM

Yea, i think your best bet would be to stay on 75, the roads are horrible here and with all the construction its even worse

Les Bouquins 08-20-2007 07:46 AM

People in Metro-Detroit (which is a HUGE area) LIVE on 75 - Michigan has some of the highest road taxes in the country, and some of the worst roads. I've driven in Detroit a number of times, and as bad as they are, they're nothing to fret about. Stick to 75 and you won't get lost.

SeanKHotay 08-20-2007 09:41 AM

Some road driving tidbits

There's construction in MI on I-75 btwn Monroe and Detroit. It's not that bad, still two-lane but the lanes are shifted, but could be more interesting if towing something. I'd still take that route myself.

The only way around it is to take US23 north from just south of Toledo (Perrysburg, IIRC) to I-94 east @ Ann Arbor.

The only other annoying thing I'd warn of is one pothole that's hidden under a bridge in the middle-of-three lanes on a sharp curve coming into downtown Detroit near the old Tigers stadium.

Oh, and don't speed around the oil/gas/petroleum holding tanks just south of Detroit. I'd say there's a trooper 'round there about 50% of the time.

spgproject 08-20-2007 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanKHotay (Post 316391)
Oh, and don't speed around the oil/gas/petroleum holding tanks just south of Detroit. I'd say there's a trooper 'round there about 50% of the time.

noted!