SOC 2011: Who's all going? - Page 2 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Welcome to The Saab Link > Events > Saab Owner's Convention (SOC)

Saab Owner's Convention (SOC) As requested, a dedicated forum for SOC related threads.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2011, 06:32 PM   #21
sab
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I won't make it again this year, even though I have been to three SOCs in the USA! I am planning on being in San Francisco in early/mid December for about a week though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #22
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

'i'm going to 'pass' as well.
new jersey.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-21-2011, 06:42 AM   #23
SAABeginner

Unfortunately I wont be able to make it to this one I am only available on Sunday (which I actually don't mind coming) if people think its worth it.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:56 AM   #24

This would be about a 9 hour drive depending on which direction I went, but with all the "not going" feedback, kinda starting to second guess if it's worth it.
2002 9-3 SE
2002 9-3 SE Vert
1999 LB 9-3 Viggen
1996 9000 CSE (RIP)
1990 9000 S (SOLD)

Old 07-26-2011, 05:00 AM   #25
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
Well, there's always Saabs at Carlisle (just outside of Harrisburg, Penna.) next May if you can't make it.

They've structured SOC in such a way that, if you don't buy the whole expensive she-bang, it is really not worth it. I'm known for my rants on how they price that whole business-convention-type event, but some people prefer that to getting drunk at a fairground and watching "Top Gear" projected on the side of a semi-trailer.

Fair enough.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:17 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by aireeca View Post
.....but some people prefer that to getting drunk at a fairground and watching "Top Gear" projected on the side of a semi-trailer.
that's got me all over it.

definitely will be attending Carlisle next year........a must on my list.
2002 9-3 SE
2002 9-3 SE Vert
1999 LB 9-3 Viggen
1996 9000 CSE (RIP)
1990 9000 S (SOLD)

Old 07-26-2011, 07:54 AM   #27
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Powar
I think Tony (agnlxx) and I will be in attendance this year. I'm likely just going to ride with him since my girlfriend can't go and I don't really feel like driving that far by myself.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:17 AM   #28
Avid TSL User

I'm in for another year.

When in doubt - Give more Gas

2003 9-5 SportCombi
Old 07-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #29
Elder

Forget the meal plan! This is happening not too far away in Paramus that Friday night!
Old 07-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #30
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Even though it's literally around the corner, I don't think I'm even going to bother. lol.
Perhaps we should have our own GTG.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #31

Send a message via AIM to Chadwick
I can't really put my finger on it, but something about SOC just doesn't really appeal to me.

It's too serious, I think. There's no room for tomfoolery or any kind of fun that would upset the older crowd. Not saying that I think people should go wild and do unnecessary reckless things, but it just feels more like trip to a museum than a trip to a water park, and that just doesn't seem worth taking a 4 day weekend away from the shop for. I almost felt like some people were looking at me oddly when I was walking around in the parking lot with a beer last year...

If you want to stand in a parking lot for a weekend, look at well maintained cars, hang out with the wine crowd rather than the beer crowd, and maybe buy some SAAB carpet cleaning spray and incomplete sets of three wheels pretty cheap, go to SOC.

Chad Lowers
Simply SAAB, of Pittsburgh, PA

'00 9-5 Aero

Last edited by Chadwick; 07-26-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:22 PM   #32
WSW
Elder

Dem fightin words
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadwick View Post
I can't really put my finger on it, but something about SOC just doesn't really appeal to me.

It's too serious, I think. There's no room for tomfoolery or any kind of fun that would upset the older crowd. Not saying that I think people should go wild and do unnecessary reckless things, but it just feels more like trip to a museum than a trip to a water park, and that just doesn't seem worth taking a 4 day weekend away from the shop for. I almost felt like some people were looking at me oddly when I was walking around in the parking lot with a beer last year...

If you want to stand in a parking lot for a weekend, look at well maintained cars, hang out with the wine crowd rather than the beer crowd, and maybe buy some SAAB carpet cleaning spray and incomplete sets of three wheels pretty cheap, go to SOC.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:01 PM   #33
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aireeca View Post
Forget the meal plan! This is happening not too far away in Paramus that Friday night!
mmmm that looks awsome
Old 07-26-2011, 10:36 PM   #34
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadwick View Post
There's no room for tomfoolery or any kind of fun that would upset the older crowd.
Rally racing the 9-5 off road in the woods at SOC10 wasn't fun?

I'm passing this year. Have been to almost every SOC since Vero Beach in 2001, just not feeling it. Id like to say its the 1100 mile 19hr drive, but for me a lot of the fun of going to SOC is the 'going' part, the drive to and from. Two years ago took 8 days off and drove out to Denver CO from Florida and had an awesome time. The driving experience was great. I have done the drive to NYC/NJ area many many times. There not much about the 1100 mile trip up one single road, I95 for that matter, that is exciting or new anymore. Heck my g/f parents live only 30min away from the venue.

I also get the same feeling of a smaller turnout this year. Not that it should direct someone away from going, but to me the 'chatter' this year has been far lower than usual at this point in the game.

Have fun to those going.
01 9-5 Wagon
03 9-5 Aero Sedan
05 9-5 Aero Sedan
06 9-3 2.0T Sedan
Old 07-27-2011, 03:45 AM   #35
Elder

I don't know that the turnout will be smaller...but there's just not as much buzz about it amongst the younger set. That's probably for the best for attendees who want the true convention-banquet-seminar experience. Long-term it brings up questions of viability, though.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:13 AM   #36
Elder

SOC at Devans turned me off totally to SOCs. I know they are not all the same but for me [email protected] and Swedish Car Day in Brookline MA are both much much better shows (and a ton more affordable).
Old 07-27-2011, 05:35 AM   #37
Elder

Those who've been around here a bit know I used to rage against the SOC machine - the SCNA dues, the amateur-hour publication that is Nines, the prom food.

Then I stopped caring.

I have to go to boring seminars for work. Why would I pay to do that for fun? I'll likely stop by, not buy a day pass and maybe take a half-day off of work at some point. But not much more than that.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:15 AM   #38
SAABeginner

Helpful Hint! JMK SAAB, Reinertsen Motors, & Perrine SAAB all have 1/2 price coupons to use at SOC for day passes. Go for only $12.50 a day or $20 for Friday/Saturday and no temporary membership fee required as you are a "guest" of a SCNA member.

A Day Pass Provides
Access to All Car Displays
Shopping in Vendor Area
Participation in Test Drives
Participation in Group Photo
Participation in People's Choice
Participation in Concours d'SAAB
Access to seminars (space allowing)
Access to tech sessions (space allowing)
Option to participate in Autocross
Option to participate in Goldwing Dyno
Old 07-27-2011, 07:26 PM   #39
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Hmmmmmm. Now that may be an option. Being the good son that I am, go visit Mom and Dad (who live very close to Parsippany) and then stop by SOC. A definite maybe.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:43 AM   #40
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Isn't Saablime aka J Webber planning some saabs in the park event in PA someplace that Sat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in