SOC Track Day & SCNA Philosophy - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Welcome to The Saab Link > Events > Saab Owner's Convention (SOC)

Saab Owner's Convention (SOC) As requested, a dedicated forum for SOC related threads.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Talking SOC Track Day & SCNA Philosophy

Should be a great event Only 25 signed up! What you just talk about your fast saabs on the internets.. If you are interested might call them tomorrow. I will have the truck and trailer plus some tools if anyone needs a ride or help. 12hr drive for me. (If you need a ride from st louis etc let me know. Just me in the crew cab. Have 2 queen beds up there.

Anyone from here running?

I will be using the viggen 100% The new (to me) AP brakes, New BFG R1 dot slicks and suspension should make it a blast. http://trolltuner.com/

From Michigan.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
JK
Elder

You'll have a great time at NL. Pretty fun course, and the grounds are...interesting

I wish I could go, but it's not possible for me this year. I kind of wanted to make the drive in the Lemons car all the way there, but had other conflicting schedule issues come up.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:03 PM   #3
gm
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I think they priced themself out of getting people to attend. Hopefully the other SOC festivities will be better attended. I am getting married the end of the month so I just don't have the time.... plus my viggen has been sitting for I think almost 2 months waiting on a trans.......

Heard great things about those tires......

Saabless for the first time since 1986
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 07-14-2010, 07:44 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
Should be a great event Only 25 signed up! What you just talk about your fast saabs on the internets..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rules for racing
Please check your car thoroughly prior to going on the track or have a mechanic do so prior to coming to the track. Check brakes, brake line, hoses, cooling system, tires, power steering system etc. Under track conditions, belts and hoses do break, so do not take a chance on missing the day with a broken part.
They would not be thrilled with the condition of the SPG's power steering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 07-14-2010, 08:34 AM   #5
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm View Post
I think they priced themself out of getting people to attend. Hopefully the other SOC festivities will be better attended. I am getting married the end of the month so I just don't have the time.... plus my viggen has been sitting for I think almost 2 months waiting on a trans.......

Heard great things about those tires......
$200 seems fair for attending the track day. The track is fun, there is plenty of run-off area and they don't have really any walls that would screw up a car royally...the tire wall could certainly make a car ugly, but nothing as bad as what happened with Dimetry's car at SOC in Michigan.

Unless you mean that the price of the convention was steep...in which case I have no idea, I didn't look. Either way I am becoming less interested in heading to a SOC type event knowing that I can do a 24 hour bumper to bumper car race for around the cost of the trip, registration, and track day at a Saab owners convention.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:17 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Powar
I'm participating, and really looking forward to it. I'll be in my '90 900S with Intrax/Bilstein/Abbot Racing sways/Zimmerman rotors/(and some aggressive pads that I cannot remember at the moment)/15x7 TD Pro Race 1s wrapped in new Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs, but stock 2.0 16V N/A and manual trans.

I've been autocrossing for over 6 years, but I've never been on a track. This should be fun.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:19 AM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powar View Post
'90 900S with Intrax/Bilstein/Abbot Racing sways/Zimmerman rotors/(and some aggressive pads that I cannot remember at the moment)/15x7 TD Pro Race 1s wrapped in new Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs, but stock 2.0 16V N/A and manual trans.
Wow. you seem to have a fun Reliable C900... That is amazing

Old 07-14-2010, 09:52 AM   #8
gm

I think $200 is high for a single day, $150-175 is more what I would think it's worth. You look at how many people complain about how much it costs to attend the SOC & addind a few hundred additional to that is a big stretch for most. The 5-10 2day schools that I have attended have been $275-$325 for 2 days of driving with the $325 school including a dinner. Which is why I think it's high....

Yea.... the Michigan track was just OK, not really what I wanted in a track for a drivers school like this. To tight with way to many walls everywhere & for me plus I just couldn't get a rythm there. I have only been on a few tracks but it was my least favorite......

The Direzza's should work great for you. One of the biggest mistakes people make at these schools is to jump to track R compound tires to soon. Getting a good summer only tire is a much better/safer way to learn the car out on the track. Street tires give a LOT more warning when they are about to break loose & the Z1's are a great tire!

Old 07-14-2010, 09:53 AM   #9
JK
Elder

Quote:
I'm participating, and really looking forward to it. I'll be in my '90 900S with Intrax/Bilstein/Abbot Racing sways/Zimmerman rotors/(and some aggressive pads that I cannot remember at the moment)/15x7 TD Pro Race 1s wrapped in new Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs, but stock 2.0 16V N/A and manual trans.

I've been autocrossing for over 6 years, but I've never been on a track. This should be fun.
I think you'll have plenty of fun. I was never able to race NL with a dry track, and with as much fun as I thought it was you should have a grand old time with that setup.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:59 AM   #10
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm View Post
I think $200 is high for a single day, $150-175 is more what I would think it's worth. You look at how many people complain about how much it costs to attend the SOC & addind a few hundred additional to that is a big stretch for most. The 5-10 2day schools that I have attended have been $275-$325 for 2 days of driving with the $325 school including a dinner. Which is why I think it's high....
No kidding? Around here doing a track day at BIR ( http://www.brainerdraceway.com/track...ile-track.html ) is $275, and it is still a few hours from the Minneapolis/St Paul area.

$200 seems like a good deal for NL, which has some similarities to BIR, but is oh...12 hours further away from me and has a less modern facility. I guess maybe BIR charges what they do because they can. We don't have many alternatives close to us. I wish would could get two day schools for $275-325!

Like I said, even with the drive it doesn't seem like a terrible price to pay given what I'm used to, and I'd be lapping with a bunch of Saabs . But, toss in the cost of the owners convention (why not, I'm already out there) and the vacation I'd have to take and I just can't justify it unfortunatly.

Now...for me it is all a moot point since my schedule won't allow me to travel out of MN at that time anyway.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:35 AM   #11
gm

yea, I can't do it either.... can't leave Ohio then off the the Florida Key's in the RV. Hopefully the hurricanes & oil will stay away!!!

Putnam Park is the track I usually went to & it's about $8,000 per day to rent out. I forget the exact number but I beleive the Detroit track was $6-7K, we broke even on the day with the number of cars we had.... 50-60 cars I think?? The bigger high dollar tracks can be $10-15K per day to rent.

I did a 1 day school at Beaver Run with some Honda Prelude club, cost me $65 for a day!!!! & it was a really fun track but with some horrible drivers! They had no clue how fast saab's could be, one kid had a 9-5 aero as a daily car & his modded prelude couldn't keep up with the Swedes We had 2 viggens & a 9K aero there beating up the honda stuff. There was a complete moron driving a Alex Zinardi Acrua NSX. He rubbed tires with a friend of his i a M Coupe (got to hear them yelling at each other) then the next day the NSX was totalled at the track as a NASA school.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:27 AM   #12
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Makes you wonder why there is even a convention. Should just start tuning BMWs and focus on the GM cars locally.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 07-14-2010, 11:44 AM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
I would have loved to have pre-registered and payed. They should have a non meal option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 07-14-2010, 01:22 PM   #14
gm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
Makes you wonder why there is even a convention. Should just start tuning BMWs and focus on the GM cars locally.
LOL..... probably have a market 10-20x's bigger! People have always had issues with the cost of SOC admission & many do not understand how tight the margins are & what it takes to put it on. The local BMW chapter has cut back the drivers schools they do before the economy went in the dump. They weren't getting enough numbers to allow them to put on their 2-3 day schools & I am sure it's worse now.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:24 PM   #15
Elder

in the past week or so i had thought about going and looked at the day passes...

then i laughed at how a $40 day pass let you walk around the parking lot...and thats it

Old 07-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #16
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos View Post
I would have loved to have pre-registered and payed. They should have a non meal option.
They have to make their money somehow. I think the meal aspect is how they do it. You would have to really bank on that "10-20x bigger" market to likely make it financially viable to put on the event.

("they" being the hotel/resort/etc)

Again, I would love to be able to make it to more of these, I just increasingly don't have the time, and what time I have is (unfortunatly) typically relegated to something else that costs me lots of money
Old 07-20-2010, 09:29 AM   #17
Elder

Anyone else coming?

Like most SOC threads, this one seriously floundered.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:38 AM   #18
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Sedan
Quote:
Anyone else coming?

Like most SOC threads, this one seriously floundered.
Well you know I'm in!

I'm going to be out on the track for the first time in my '85 900S notchback with Jamex springs and Bilstein shocks. I just installed new stock (solid) rotors with Metal Master pads that I'll probably wear out, I did, however change my fluid so that should me keep my brakes a little better. I'm just running 195/60/15 Altimax HP no-seasons on Shelby rims. The drivetrain is a 5-speed with stock 8-valve non-turbo with MSS header and turbo cat-back exhaust. You know, driving slow cars fast and all that. It should be fun.

The Saab enthusiast formerly known as Notchback.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:45 AM   #19
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by notchback View Post
You know, driving slow cars fast and all that. It should be fun.
Hear, hear!

Old 07-20-2010, 10:06 AM   #20
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by notchback View Post
Well you know I'm in!

I'm going to be out on the track for the first time in my '85 900S notchback with Jamex springs and Bilstein shocks. I just installed new stock (solid) rotors with Metal Master pads that I'll probably wear out, I did, however change my fluid so that should me keep my brakes a little better. I'm just running 195/60/15 Altimax HP no-seasons on Shelby rims. The drivetrain is a 5-speed with stock 8-valve non-turbo with MSS header and turbo cat-back exhaust. You know, driving slow cars fast and all that. It should be fun.
Sounds like it will do well - the best cars are the ones you can run flat out and not need to brake much in I will have to try and get over to the track and watch some of the events this year.
for your repair needs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
scamna

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in