SOC Track Day & SCNA Philosophy - Page 3 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Welcome to The Saab Link > Events > Saab Owner's Convention (SOC)

Saab Owner's Convention (SOC) As requested, a dedicated forum for SOC related threads.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2010, 07:23 PM   #41
Elder

I am staying at a near by hotel for 2 reason's - the cost of the hotel they picked is stupid expensive and like mentioned above - it get's you nothing special towards the convention. The other reason - I am traveling with two large dogs - and dogs can't even stay at the overpriced hotel. My room for 2 Adults and 2 dogs is $300 done deal for 4 nights - and it has an indoor pool and I can walk to everything near by from WalMart, Target, Dollar Store(s) and TONS of food places. Why would I stay at the Over priced hotel?

I will be walking around tomorrow with my "SAAB" cooler filled with PBR and 1952 Whiskey - I will only buy a day pass if it actually does something. As for the $10 for nines - I never have ever seen one show up to my door. I've only gotten the single issue the day of Registration and it was old anyways... Big Deal - a poorly written thin Saab themed magazine which comes out Bi/Quarterly?

I was talking to Brittany today about how poorly these SOC's are getting done it seems. They need to stay at a lesser costing hotel with the large parking lot - other hotels DO have big parking lots I've noticed..... If the total event cost cost 1/2 as much - they would get twice as many people coming which means MORE REVENUE overall - which is what they want and we want it to be affordable since the majority of us have to travel as it is....

Either way - can't wait to see you all tomorrow - look for the 9-5 with the giant Roof Carrier and PA tags Come say hi if we've never met.
for your repair needs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2010, 07:23 PM   #42
Elder

I am staying at a near by hotel for 2 reason's - the cost of the hotel they picked is stupid expensive and like mentioned above - it get's you nothing special towards the convention. The other reason - I am traveling with two large dogs - and dogs can't even stay at the overpriced hotel. My room for 2 Adults and 2 dogs is $300 done deal for 4 nights - and it has an indoor pool and I can walk to everything near by from WalMart, Target, Dollar Store(s) and TONS of food places. Why would I stay at the Over priced hotel?

I will be walking around tomorrow with my "SAAB" cooler filled with PBR and 1952 Whiskey - I will only buy a day pass if it actually does something. As for the $10 for nines - I never have ever seen one show up to my door. I've only gotten the single issue the day of Registration and it was old anyways... Big Deal - a poorly written thin Saab themed magazine which comes out Bi/Quarterly?

I was talking to Brittany today about how poorly these SOC's are getting done it seems. They need to stay at a lesser costing hotel with the large parking lot - other hotels DO have big parking lots I've noticed..... If the total event cost cost 1/2 as much - they would get twice as many people coming which means MORE REVENUE overall - which is what they want and we want it to be affordable since the majority of us have to travel as it is....

Either way - can't wait to see you all tomorrow - look for the 9-5 with the giant Roof Carrier and PA tags Come say hi if we've never met.
for your repair needs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-26-2010, 04:37 PM   #43
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
You're spot on there. The only problem is the SCNA brass wants the destination hotel and prom food. We can survive on camping, mini cheesecakes and Yuengling.
Well, here's my take on this year's event. The hotel was really, really nice. Probably a bit too nice in an era when a lot of people are counting pennies. I'm guessing the per-plate cost for the dinners was in the $30-$40 range, and, really, how can you beat that price for mass-produced warmish food? (Maybe it wasn't warmish, but if the convention center holds true to the other ones at which I dined during my Ohio sojourn, their timing for plating food and getting it to the table wasn't the greatest.)

Anywho. Didn't buy a day pass and really the only thing it stymied me on was test-driving a the 2010 9-5. THAT was an interesting conversation. The Dave Towell dealer salesman let me sign up. I go back when the car gets back from the previous run only to encounter a SCNA OSD (Old Skinny Dude - they have legions of them and they are nearly identical). He tells me I can't drive the car unless I have some sort of registration. I look at the salesman and ask whether I'd have to be registered to take the car for a spin on their lot. He says, "Um no." The OSD says something about letting SCNA members go first and I reply that he's really just cock-blocking potential customers for a local dealership/sponsor. At this point, WyldSaabMan mutters something about how he's just going to buy a Buick LaCrosse instead and wanders off and the OSD "claims" he doesn't know what "cock-blocking" is. Ya know, based on how some of those guys operate, I can pretty much buy that statement. Priceless.

Would it have nice to have seen Victor Mueller's address? Sure. Would it have been nice to shop the parts tent? Not really. It was stocked like "Colorado II: Electric Boogaloo" only with fewer fluids, wheels and almost no Saab clothing that I could see. The vendors in the lot had a decent selection of interesting things, though. And whoever at Goldwing came up with the squirt guns as freebies, fan-freakin'-tastic. I'm still packing mine in my handbag.

I did get the chance to talk with Moonracer one night about the future of SOCs. I think, of the four I have been to now, this one had the smallest sub-30 crowd of them all. It's just too damn expensive because it caters to the post-50 cruise-ship vacation crowd. Now, Moonracer had some good points on why an ala cart system would drive organizers insane, but maybe a tiered system beyond just "really fucking expensive" and "useless day-pass" (really, a test drive, that's the only thing I couldn't do) with at least one level appealing to those of us who like to discover local restaurants instead of eating generic prom food.

I'd love to lead a revolution. Instead, I feel a schism coming on. Ahhhh-chooo!!!

Love,
Aireeca

(My pictures of the weekend suck, but I'll post some up eventually.)

P.S. There was, at one point, some rumbling about returning to Ohio. Now, even though Cleveland broke up with me last year, the location was edge-of-suburbs and very, um, bland. Then again, the convention center did host a "Christmas in July" wedding Saturday night so that livened things up a bit. Still, Colorado was a much nicer locale.

Last edited by aireeca; 07-26-2010 at 04:43 PM.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:11 PM   #44
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to Topless89
I agree with Aireeca. The cock blocking was absolutely priceless in my book, I will remember that for years to come. I just wish the dealer employee was there later on because I am sure he would have let us take the buick out for a drive. I am sad that the saablink sticker was removed so quickly but not surprised and the Boner wedding with Santa was great. I just wish Santa hadn't made a mad dash for the entrance so he could have me accosted about some over due ponies and saab parts. The day pass was useless as we were all able to go into the "parts tent" anyways and even some we able to purchase without any proof of said pass. The parts tent did suck by the way. The tents in the parking lot were a hell of a lot better.
That being said, the weedwhacker margaritas were awesome.
Also the ohio cops are pretty cool to hang out with at 3 in the am.

I heard rumor that SOC is going to be in the east coast next year. I hope so, and I hope that they pick a less pricey venue so I can spend my money on parts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

89 900 Convertible Red - Wannabe show queen
89 900 Convertible White - Safari Saab

"This is a bit like asking someone Wanted: Unicorn" -DeLorean
Old 07-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #45
Elder

I got to witness first hand why day passes are so looked down apon this weekend. I had the pleasure of helping my daughter take lunch tickets Saturday and helped with the registration table. First thing I will say is the folks who want them the worst are the ones who are ruining it for others. I fisrt hand caught people trying to get lunches with copied friday (and Saturday) ticket. They wern't even smart enough to copy a name badge but had blue wrist bands on. I had a couple of young guys get all up in my face because they couldn't buy tickets to the meal, said they drove 5 hours for nothing. They were the fools for not reading. The best one was a hand written note from Victor Muller to let a couple of kids in. I still have no idea how maney snuck in to the meal. My daughters were trying their hardest to conquer the hoard at the door and my wife and I who sponsered the event twice had to eat in the hall way for the evening dinner because of folks who got their late and HAD to sit at a table.

I agree something needs to be done to lower the prices and in my opinion any more eliminate day passes. Any more no name badge no entry period.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:34 PM   #46
Elder

Ouch. I heard about your having to eat in the hallway and that sucks.

I guess there's always going to be someone who outsmarts the system or at least tries. We actually found a good deli down the road that served MASSIVE sandwiches. I swear there was about a half pound of salami on mine. And we found this place in Akron. They are for real. Best hamburgers in Akron. No joke.

But, yeah, something needs to be done, maybe three tiers - "Whole shebang," "Fair-to-middlin'" and "Bare Bones." Or something.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:35 PM   #47
Avid TSL User

If they made the overall basic entry fee small, say $5 or $10 with access to all events that could work and would get more people to go. Then say if people want the food package offer cheap food like burgers and dogs or sandwiches and only tack on another $ 5- 10 per person...or something like that. I for one would be okay to pay for a pass to the even that was $10 for the duration and if there was an inexpensive food option I would take that over driving around to find something to eat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:36 PM   #48
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aireeca View Post
But, yeah, something needs to be done, maybe three tiers - "Whole shebang," "Fair-to-middlin'" and "Bare Bones." Or something.
Agreed.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:52 PM   #49
Elder

There were cook-outs at Devens, one hosted by NESA and funded the Crisman scholarship and another hosted impromptu by Mike Saunders, grillmaster extraordinaire.

They were reasonably priced and gave us daypassers/steerage passengers a nice, non-off site eating option.

Listen, I've got nothing against people who like to have everything planned out for them. Cruise ships have made money hand over fist that way for years. But, 30 years ago, cruises were bingo and bridge tournaments. Not so much anymore.

Is it too much to ask that SCNA realize that some Saab enthusiasts do not like prom food and paying to sit in seminars? Change is hard, change is icky-bad. I hate it. However, without it, you never get anywhere.

Meh. Enough spouting off on that here. It was OK. Not sure I'd make the effort to go to another one, though.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:09 PM   #50
Elder

Also, I kinda like getting out to see the lay of the land. Too bad y'all missed a trip to here....I nearly burst a blood vessel when my friend from Cleveland showed me this Friday night.

Oh. Ohio.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:24 PM   #51
Elder

sounds like a complete clusterfuck. i'm sorry i missed it*
Old 07-26-2010, 08:54 PM   #52
GA
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to GA
It was actually a great convention. Victor and JAJ were awesome, and the presentation on Friday night, which started really slow, finished with a bang.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:43 AM   #53
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA View Post
It was actually a great convention. Victor and JAJ were awesome, and the presentation on Friday night, which started really slow, finished with a bang.
Yep. I'd agree with that. It sounded like the sit on-your-ass portions of it were fantastic.

Beyond the 9-5 test drives and the track event, however, what was there? I mean, every convention can't (and won't from now on) include a trip to the GM Heritage Collection warehouse or majestic views from the top of a Rocky Mountain, but, c'mon, even something like the car auction last year, as ridiculous as the asking prices were, was entertaining and not listening to people yap. (Mostly because no one was really bidding but anywho....)

It's kind of a flat-line event without much anything new in the way of just trying it to see if it would work aside, of course, from the new day pass order.

How about rides in that guy's Spyker with him driving and proceeds going to a local charity?

How about a stuff your hatch contest to see who can fit the most junk in their trunk?

How about a dyno?

How about getting one of the performance team drivers over to show us some tricks of the trade?

How about a stupid question booth manned by a sage, seasoned pro?

Tweed jacket contest?

Oh, I know, how about "Cannonball Run" or "Cars" projected against a wall at the event...oh wait.

Then again, it's hard to force a dance party/reflect diversity when it just isn't there.

I dunno. They'll figure it out. SCNA and the bloggers, they got this.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:21 AM   #54
gm
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I do agree, they price these events to high scaring many people away. If they charged people $5-10 for a day pass they are worried more people would go that route vs the full package & SCNA would then loose their arse due to not getting the numbers they need.

There isn't much to do & for me the only thing I enjoy is the drivers school part but who knows how long that would last especially if they didn't turn a profit or at least brake even on this track day.

The dyno stuff use to be neat but it's been done so many times & the cost is enough that people stopped doing in. For my old SPG to get 2nd place overall in Michigan is sad..... considering it only had 275 whp in it's detuned/poorly running state. Years prior that wouldn't of been top 10!

Do you really think paying lots of money for a performance driving team would work? Look how tight many are not even paying for a day pass to support the club but still being there & it would cost a lot for a driving team.

Unfortunantly it's all done by volunteers so it's going to be very difficult to stop people coming to these event's w/o giving a penny to SOC. Not paying for a day pass..... not paying for dinners & still sneaking in to eat. Somehow that needs to be stopped otherwise these events will not exist

I need to buy a Lotus so I can see how their LOG's work

Saabless for the first time since 1986
Old 07-27-2010, 06:30 AM   #55
Elder

I'm not saying bring the entire driver team, just one of the guys to DEMONSTRATE some of the tricks of their trade. Why? It's active rather than static.

And, here's another candle to light rather than curse the darkness. Import Christian, our residential detailing guru, sell raffle tickets to win an onsite-detail from him and then set him up in a corner of the parking lot where people can watch him ply his trade on the winning car.

Also, why not import someone like jk88 and offer car and owner portraits? Again. Active, not static.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:35 AM   #56
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Powar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA View Post
I agree 100%. The track day was phenomenal. The dinner presentations were the best I've seen. I enjoyed it, and I don't think the price of admission was too much to ask for what we got. For me, it was one of the situations where the whole was greater than the sum of the parts, much like some of these old cars that we like so much. For those of you who didn't attend or didn't attend as full registrants, it seems to me as if you're missing that point in all of your responses. I'm not looking to join a debate... I just wanted to say that I thought it was a good one and that just like every year since I've been on the forums, the minority who express negativity are the ones that are making themselves heard.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:46 AM   #57
Elder

Good points, Powar. I guess my beef is this: even when I did a full registration in 2007, most of the value came from the banquets. SOC is a heavy sitting event - seminars, eating, presentations. Very, uh, passive, which is not a word i'd use to describe the Saab community at large. It feels like a company retreat, and not the cool ones with rafting and ropes courses and whatnot.

Is SOC inherently bad? No. It's geared toward a different crowd and maybe that's for the best. But, think about this - who is going to take over in five years? Ten years? The pool of active, interested youngr folk is slimmer than the old skinny dudes. I'd say without some injection of fresh blood and ideas, it will continue to stagnate. And, yeah, all new ideas don't always work. Last year's auction was a. Good idea in a bad, bad economy. But it was kind of neat to watch.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:02 AM   #58
gm
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

the problem with a driving team be it 1 person or 20 is it will not be cheap no matter how many there are. Paying them to ship 1 car or 20 to where it would be held will not be cheap. Also where to hold it, there is no way a hotel's parking lot would allow a car to drive around on 2 wheels or do 360's around light poles. Needs to be done at a racetrack at 5-10K a day to rent the track. Then it's getting people to watch the driving stuff & not taking away from the people's tracktime who paid to drive.

watching someone clean a car is like watching paint dry...... about as static as you can get!

Portraits would be cool..... but again it goes down to money. People not paying for a day pass wouldn't spend $200 on a portrait, or even $100 for one. Takes a lot of time for those & also a lot of sitting for those wanting the portrait.... static

I would like to see the event held at a roadcoarse where those of us not into the show/shine stuff could beat on our cars & still look at all the other stuff when not on the track. Active vs static.... but spending $10-20K to rent a track out for 2 days won't happen.

Saabless for the first time since 1986
Old 07-27-2010, 07:17 AM   #59
Elder

Good counterpoints, Gm. However, not all Saab owners are drivers so you're skewed in a different direction. I'm thinking more of a carnival atmosphere - li'l bit of this, li'l bit of that. Also, in talking with someone at SOC, SCNA appears to not play well with local SCCAs. Don't know how accurate that is, though.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:26 AM   #60
Avid TSL User

If you are talking carnival they could really have a popcorn and cotton candy machine, since rental and purchase of those are really inexpensive as is production and they could make a killing off of the guests.
I agree with having a saab guru do question and answers. That can be done very inexpensive as well. whip out a folding chair, a table and a sign up sheet to track popularity. Just give the guy some popcorn and he will probably be happy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
scamna

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in