SOC 2009 Registration is open - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Welcome to The Saab Link > Events > Saab Owner's Convention (SOC)

Saab Owner's Convention (SOC) As requested, a dedicated forum for SOC related threads.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2009, 09:55 AM   #1
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
Exclamation SOC 2009 Registration is open

http://soc09.eventbrite.com/

Go to it, kids.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
Avid TSL User

soo....
the 195.00 includes what exactly?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'94 9000 Aero
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-04-2009, 10:30 AM   #3
Elder

Not lunch this year, but dinners? Admission. The chance to have your car judged, I guess.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
SAABeginner

Soc 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlGoneBoosted View Post
soo....
the 195.00 includes what exactly?
$195.00 gets you admission to all seminars, banquets, and five meals and a free t-shirt. It also allows you to enter the People's Choice and Concours events. It also gives you the opportunity to sign up for other events such as test drives, reverse steering, and more!!!

Now, I know some of you are thinking: Jeez $195 for Dinner?! I'll just go to Carlisle for $50. The SOC isn't just a car show with stuff parked on the lawn. It's not just dinner, it's five (including banquets) and you get to hang out and talk Saabs with your friends and current and former Saab celebs as well as do all that other neat stuff I listed. There are also parts tents and individual people selling Saab parts that you just can't find easily anywhere else. It's also a resort, so $195 is pretty cheap considering the price of resort food.

Thanks!
Calye
http://soc09.eventbrite.com
Old 03-04-2009, 02:07 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
<-- has a stiffy.

wow! i wish i were going!
Old 03-04-2009, 02:07 PM   #6
Elder

Thanks for the rundown, Calye!

Any word on the accommodation pricing yet?
Old 03-05-2009, 12:18 PM   #7
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by aireeca View Post
Thanks for the rundown, Calye!

Any word on the accommodation pricing yet?
The base prices at Copper Mtn are $128-$354 depending on what sort of room you are looking for; they also have condos. Quite reasonable for a resort. I know the RMSC is working on updating the accommodations page on the SOC website: www.rockymtnsaabclub.com/soc09. I'd check there in the next few days for more complete info.

Cal
Old 03-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
195 doesn't sound to bad considering 5 meals (20 for each meal) making the cost of everything else 100 which covers insurance, rooms for seminars, etc.

Not a bad deal. The rooming cost would have to be considered though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:06 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to guru
I am so bummed that I can't make it this year. I'll still try to buy a t-shirt or something.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:32 PM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Moreboost
to bad it 1,926 miles away from me

Old 03-06-2009, 01:43 PM   #11
SAAB Road Master

I've never been to a SOC event before. What is open to the public without paying the admission fee? Can you view the concours, and people's choice awards? I think I remember reading that some of the vendor stuff was only available to those who paid the admission. I live in Denver and would probably only come up Saturday and stay the night. I have a few nice Saabs, but certainly not concours show cars. What do most people do? Pay, or just attend?

Last edited by nbndtrain; 03-06-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #12
Elder

In the past, there have been day passes that get you into things like the parts tent but not meals.

Usually, though, day pass information isn't available until like the month before. I think it was around $50 last year for the day pass option.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:51 PM   #13
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreboost View Post
to bad it 1,926 miles away from me
2,012 for me. I'll have to wait until its at Stratton again! That's inside of my 100-mile AAA free tow range in case I break down!!!
Old 03-06-2009, 03:28 PM   #14
sab
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by VI009DZ View Post
2,012 for me. I'll have to wait until its at Stratton again! That's inside of my 100-mile AAA free tow range in case I break down!!!
According to Google Maps for me to get to SOC09 by car, it is:
Melbourne, Australia to Copper Mountain, Colorado
23,428 km – about 55 days 4 hours.
Or 14,558 miles!

Seriously though, I won't be attending this year, funding won't stretch I am afraid. Although I have been to three over in the USA and loved every one... the 06 at Stratton, VT; the 07 at Lake George, NY; and last year 08 in MA.

Enjoy all!

steve

Old 03-06-2009, 04:08 PM   #15
Avid TSL User

Location: Upstate.New York SAABeginner.HA!..since 1985 Member NYSOC.NESA.SCNA
SOCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sab View Post
Although I have been to three over in the USA and loved every one... the 06 at Stratton, VT; the 07 at Lake George, NY; and last year 08 in MA.

Enjoy all!

steve
Steve, Stratton was 05, Lake George was 06, MICHIGAN was 07, and Devens, MA was 08...and it was good to see you each time. I guess we will have to go to OZ to see the Silver Sled!

Jon
jon1..

(haven't missed an SOC since my first in 2000 in Kerhonkson, NY)

Only 1900 miles and 29 hours for me.

Last edited by Jon1; 03-06-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:10 PM   #16
sab

Jon... ahh you are correct! 05 for Stratton, 06 for Lake George, and 08 for Devens last year! Don't know what I was thinking there with the wrong years! I forgot I missed attending the one in Detroit!

But still, a pretty good effort for me to get to three SOCs when I live so far away!

Yeah and always a pleasure to see all you Saab nuts in person too! Amazing how the internet makes the world much smaller.

We have our national Saab Club event coming up here at Easter. Although no where near as large as SOCs in the US. Still good fun to catch up with Aussie Saabers from all over.

Enjoy!
steve

Old 03-06-2009, 06:06 PM   #17
SAAB Road Master

So I can float the $195 for admission, but what about lodging? Can I just throw up a tent and camp it out? That'd be sweet.

NO "n" words please
Come on, I've had that signature for like a year without any complaints
Old 03-07-2009, 05:39 PM   #18
SAABeginner

Talking Why SOC's cost so much

Hey Guys,

I saw some posting on other threads about the high registration costs as SOC's and questions as to why it's so expensive along with the usual "Carlisle only costs $40". This is my 2.5 trip around helping put together an SOC and I've been involved in a lot of other convention planning, so I can speak from firsthand experience about the money. This is wholly meant to be informative and not ranty, hopefully I achieve that.

Why is the SOC so expensive when Carlisle is so cheap?

Carlisle is cheap because it's at a fairground which is really inexpensive to rent; it requires outdoor space, no meeting rooms, no hotel rooms. It's cheap because you are sharing with more than just Saabs so all those groups are splitting the costs. It's cheap because your meal is provided by a club who owns the grill and brings food. SOC's are none of these things.

Why aren't SOC's at the Super 8 where it's cheap?
SOC's need a lot of parking lot (or grassy knoll) room to park all those cars. Super 8 motels have very small parking lots. Having stayed at two Super 8's and a Motel 6 last month, let me assure you that staying there for a week at an SOC is not recommended no matter how cheap it is.

Meals can't cost that much.
Oh yes they can. When you rent a venue (hotel) you also have to use their food and hence: their prices. Box lunches start at $18+, a buffet starts at $20. These are the low end menu choices like pasta with sauce. For $25-30 you get chicken or fish or steak. Six meals get you to the $150+ range very quickly.

So why am I then paying $200 if meals run around the $150+ range?

How else do you think the SOC gets money? Each group finds their own money. The SCNA only pays when they are hosting. There isn't an SOC fund that people get to dip into every year.

The registration cost goes to more than food?
There is insurance, printing of booklets and signs and souvenirs and badges, paying for guests to attend, tents, gifts for your guests, free meals for guests, rooms for guests, sometimes airfare for guests, awards, track fees etc, dyno rental, group photo, credit card/paypal/eventbrite fees, A/V items, insurance. Your budget is now in the 140k range.

Even if you have 500 attendees paying $200, that's only 100k.

Hotels make you sign an agreement to pay for a pre-arranged amount of food. Whether or not you get enough attendees is your problem. At the end of the con, your organization owes 40k or more in food fees at a minimum. Have a coffee stand or water stands; those might cost extra. Any con has to tack on some extra $$ to make sure they have enough money to cover the event costs with the MINIMUM number of attendees they expect, not the maximum.

What about sponsors?
Sponsors are great, but sometimes they give you products for prizes or goody bags, not cash. This is great and save the group money for these things. If you have the 140k budget, your sponsors are also covering the money you aren't making from attendees and souvenirs, so hopefully you get a lot of them.

In the grand scheme of conventions (not park and oogles), $200 for four days with meals is cheap. Most charge in the $100 range for four days with NO meals.

The SOC is all about Saabs. The seminars are all about Saabs. The parts are all about Saabs. We can all go to the local park and oogle (yes, even in WA we can do that. There are a lot more of us here than you think. ) but then we have to see Volvo's too and other non-Saab things. The SOC is the ultimate in Saab dorkiness. Let's revel in that, shall we?
Old 03-08-2009, 05:22 AM   #19

hmmmmm I'll wait for info on day passes

Old 03-14-2009, 08:22 PM   #20
SAABeginner

SOC 2009 Update

From your SOC '09 Chairman:

March 14, 2009

Attention Saab Enthusiasts,
RE: North American Saab Owners Convention “Summit of the Nines”

Registration is now open!! This can be done on line at www.rockymtnsaabclub.com/soc09. Click in Registration button and follow the instructions. Do not miss this event.

If you have never been to Colorado you are missing one of the greatest states in the USA. The Saab Convention “Summit of the Nines” will be held August 13 – 16, 2009 at Copper Mountain Resort, Colorado. Plan your Family vacation by staying a week or two to play and attend this grand event.

When you make accommodations, Copper will not guarantee you a specific lodge. The only thing we suggest is you specifically request “Copper Village”. Every room in this area is not more than 200 yards from where everything is happening. . All events will be in the Copper Village area. As the event gets ready to happen, when you check in they will assign you a room at the level you request. There are plenty of rooms available.

Immediately following the convention, our local club is hosting a tour of Colorado. This was a hit back in 1999. This is a ten year reunion of that great event. This tour is a five day event starting at Copper Mountain, heading south west to Durango, Mesa Verde Indian Ruins, Great Sand Dunes, Ride the Train from Durango to Silverton, Uray (Little Switzerland of Colorado, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, North to Glenwood Springs where the world famous Hot Tub Springs. The final day will take us over Trail Ridge Road, The highest paved road in the USA down to Estes Park where the tour will end. Check the web page for information.

Our planning committee is working hard to make this a memorial event.

A word of warning. This event is being held at 9,350’ above sea level. 1,300’ from where the trees stop growing. We will be publishing a high altitude information packet soon on the web site. For all of you who are coming from low altitude, pack some oxygen in your suitcase as you will need it.

I will keep you posted with periodic updates as the convention gets closer. As always, go to our web site for event information.

See you here in Colorado!!!
Jerry Danner
SOC09 Chairman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in