Saab Link Forums banner

SOC 2008 Registration Open

15K views 176 replies 45 participants last post by  SteveNJ 
#1 ·
#7 ·
yeah i just noticed that it is $350 for two people to go. sorry but no thanks. i cannot afford that. for some reason i thought the $170 was for two.

Too bad too as i really want to go especially seeing as i am only about 20 miles away across the border in NH

#11 ·
Well the price for the viking challenge, (dyno + autocross) seems fair to me. Still what the hell. 170 for just me+40 renew member+100 or 35 (I may skip dyno and just do autox). God I'm gonna have to hold on the trigger for now though.

#15 ·
I do think it's weird they are not doing breakfast.... just lunch/dinner on fri & sat + a shirt. Insurance takes up some of that money but SOC's are never cheap!!

#18 ·
so how is it that Carlisle can offering camping for a lot less money. figure lunch dinner twice at $20 a piece that is $80. Are they really saying it costs $30 a day to get in? that is bit nuts especially considering the yearly membership dues as well. And to have the price for 3 day or 2 day passes? that is a slight rip off as well.

how much were day passes before? less than $30 a piece per day?

#16 ·
I went to SOC last year. I went to meet the Saabers. Didn't do any of the meals. Didn't do any of the seminars. Paid $20 for the day pass to the parts tent. Drank a lot in the parking lot at night, and had a blast meeting and talking with everyone.

Paying for SOC is a joke. If you're going to go to just meet people and hang out and have a good weekend. It's well worth the Gas + Hotel + Food + parts you buy.

#17 ·
I'm a little peeved that the hotel is going to be so expensive, but the registration is on par with previous conventions. The lack of day passes is kind of a bummer because Mr. Guru definitely wanted to come hang out Saturday, but he'll get over it.

#19 ·
This is why all you guys need to go to Carlisle next year! I think I spent $60 to register, which included camping, showfield registration and food from CPSC!

edit- I just called the hotel this AM and there are still plenty of rooms left. "only" $119.00/night.

#20 ·
This is why all you guys need to go to Carlisle next year! I think I spent $60 to register, which included camping, showfield registration and food from CPSC!
yup. $87 here for two people. even people that stayed in hotels spent less than $300 for the entire weekend including gas.

#22 ·
is it just me or does it seem like we are getting punished for owning saabs?! 170 per person?! thats nuts! i really wanna go to this but now that i know the price i'm seriously considering not! its close to me too! very aggrevating!!

Casey

#23 ·
is it just me or does it seem like we are getting punished for owning saabs?! 170 per person?! thats nuts! i really wanna go to this but now that i know the price i'm seriously considering not! its close to me too! very aggrevating!!

Casey
we are not getting punished for owning saabs. we are getting punished because GM has unions and massive pensions and bad management that are taking them down so they cannot afford to really "sponsor" anything.

#27 ·
I could deff make it worth whatever it is with an open bar. I'd be sure to spend some time with Mr. Johnny Walker, The Grey Goose, Mr. Jack Daniels, and Mr. Cuervo.

Good drinks out are like around $9, so you can deff get your moneys worth. Thanks for putting this into perspective Jameson!

#28 ·
Not to mention it was a 3 course meal. It started out with bread/rolls and I think salad. Then they gave you a main dish I think they may have asked if you wanted chicken or fish and cake for dessert. If it was a catering hall like you would find at a wedding it would cost $100 a head.

#33 ·
The open bar at the Heritage Center was due to a quirk of alcohol licensing: namely, it was cheaper to give the booze away than it was to attempt to get a temporary license to sell it. Or so I was told. But the point is that an open bar is not a standard feature of SOC.

I don't think the overall cost is that outrageous. When we calculate the end costs of SOC including registrations, SCNA renewal, lodging, and gas, the total cost of the trip is usually lower than what we'd spend on a "normal" vacation. This year gas will be minimal for us, thankfully!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.