SOC 2008 Registration Open - Page 8 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Welcome to The Saab Link > Events > Saab Owner's Convention (SOC)

Saab Owner's Convention (SOC) As requested, a dedicated forum for SOC related threads.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2008, 07:08 PM   #141
Elder

Send a message via AIM to guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsaab View Post
getting out from behind the desk is the best way to do it.
This is an honest question-- it is not meant to sound flippant or dismissive.

For those of us here (namely the youngsters who are newer to the Saab world), what's the best way to do that?

Has SCNA considered having "feelers" out on boards other than Saabnet?

Saabkid, I missed SOC in 06, but I was there in 05 and in 07... people showed up and had a good time, as far as I could tell. How is that (other than the financial problems that led to NESA's collapse, of course) failure?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2008, 08:38 PM   #142
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
haha, these SOC threads always remind me just how great Carlisle is. IMO, far better than any SOC ever has been.
That's because pissed off Ovlov drivers get to call us "anal Saab assholes" on their boards in regards to the Saab dominance at Carlisle.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-24-2008, 08:39 PM   #143
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by escalator guru View Post

For those of us here (namely the youngsters who are newer to the Saab world), what's the best way to do that?

Has SCNA considered having "feelers" out on boards other than Saabnet?

Saabkid, I missed SOC in 06, but I was there in 05 and in 07... people showed up and had a good time, as far as I could tell. How is that (other than the financial problems that led to NESA's collapse, of course) failure?
i was speaking of the financial aspects. they continue doing the same thinsg and loosing money every year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:48 AM   #144
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
haha, these SOC threads always remind me just how great Carlisle is. IMO, far better than any SOC ever has been.

Anyway, come to SOC, stay at the motel 6, get a day pass, be happy!
Carlisle? What's this Carlisle thing you speak of?
Old 07-25-2008, 04:03 AM   #145
SAAB Road Master

Location: Boston, but really Somerville. It takes me 4 minutes to get to Boston and 7 to 10 to get to Logan
Quote:

Quoted from SCNA By-Laws

How to have your voice heard:

Quote:
ARTICLE III: Membership

Section 3.01 Qualifications. Membership may be granted to any individual or entity that supports the mission and purposes of the organization, and who pays the specified dues set forth by the Board of Directors. Each member who is in good standing shall have the right to vote in matters presented to the membership.
How to "Step away from the desk" (although too late to do so this year):

Quote:
ARTICLE IV: Board of Directors

Section 4.01 Numbers and Powers. The management of all the affairs, property, and interests of the organization shall be vested in a Board of Directors consisting of the elected corporate officers who shall comprise the Executive Board and no fewer than (5), but no more than (25), persons appointed as Standing Board Members. The elected Executive Board of Directors shall appoint the (5) standing Board Members at the first Executive Board meeting immediately following their election. At each annual meeting, directors shall be elected to a term of (2) years to succeed the directors those terms expire at such meeting. In addition to the powers and authorities expressly conferred upon it by these Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation, the Board of Directors may exercise all such powers of the organization and of all such lawful acts and things as are not by statute or by the Article of Incorporation or by these Bylaws otherwise prohibited. The terms of appointed board members will be determined by the elected executive board at the time of appointment.

Section 4.02 Elections. Annual elections shall occur during the business meeting held each year at the Membersí Convention. Nominations from any active member may be made in writing to the Nominations Committee no less than sixty (60) days prior to the annual election to allow for the proxy ballot to be presented by mail to the active membership no less than thirty (30) days prior to the annual election. The ballot will be published in paper and electronic forms. Elections will take place by secret ballot at a regularly scheduled meeting of the active membership. Active members who cannot be in attendance may leave a written proxy vote with the President. Any proxy shall be executed in writing by the member or his/her duly authorized attorney in fact. No proxy shall be valid after thirty (30) days from the date of its execution. Ballots will be tallied by at least two members of the Nominations Committee and certified accurate by the President. The candidate receiving the largest number of votes shall be declared the winner.
Said annual meeting takes place on Sunday morning. Sorry can't recall the exact time right now.

Much more here & happy reading:
Yum-Yum
Old 07-25-2008, 04:27 AM   #146
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to RedAeroGirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsaab View Post
I thought Ian made a good point in NINES. If you want to have the ability to make decisions about club activities, then you need to be a paying member. If you want more decision making abilities, then maybe you need to be a board member. If you want to make decisions on SOC's, then you need to be on the committee that hosts it and makes all of the decisions. If you want to go to a club activity, then you should be a club member(or guest of one).

Posting your suggestions on an internet forum does not give you such privileges, especially if you're not a dues paying member of the club.

Politics is no different. If you don't like the rules, then vote. If you're still not happy, then run for office.

Right, OK. I'm not disputing the concept of SOC being for SCNA members only. I've been a paying member since 2003.

My point is that Ian could have constructively addressed certain concerns instead of simply being condescending, and suggesting that some internet forums are more legit than others. Or, perhaps coming onto those forums himself instead of making comments in a publication that not every reads.

I think that SCNA should ask one important question on all the internet BB's: "What do YOU think SOC is worth?"
Old 07-25-2008, 04:30 AM   #147
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAeroGirl View Post
I think that SCNA should ask one important question on all the internet BB's: "What do YOU think SOC is worth?"
Best suggestion I've seen anywhere. Well put.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:41 AM   #148
Trollerator
Elder

I am pretty sure I understand now how things are and why.

...and what needs to be done if I want to give any feedback/have any influence...

I am really not going to sweat it... I am actually more upset with the censorship and attitude than the actual policy.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 07-25-2008, 08:51 AM   #149
Elder

Send a message via AIM to guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverAeroGuy View Post
Quoted from SCNA By-Laws

How to have your voice heard:
*snip*

Much more here & happy reading:
Yum-Yum

Thanks! I'll be going to the meeting this year and encouraging others (especially the 20-something crowd) to do the same.

On that note, I've been a member since 2005 and I've never once recieved a proxy ballot.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:00 AM   #150
SAAB Road Master

Location: Boston, but really Somerville. It takes me 4 minutes to get to Boston and 7 to 10 to get to Logan
Quote:
On that note, I've been a member since 2005 and I've never once recieved a proxy ballot.
I think it appears in Nines....?
But, I'm not sure if i'm recalling only the announcment of officers for election or an actual voting card.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:04 AM   #151
Trollerator
Elder

I could have sworn I joined a couple times, to go to SOC's... never remember getting a membership card or anything???? definitely no ballot or NINES? maybe I just paid some extra fee to substitute for membership insurance or something?

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 07-25-2008, 09:09 AM   #152
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdukted1456 View Post
I could have sworn I joined a couple times, to go to SOC's... never remember getting a membership card or anything???? definitely no ballot or NINES? maybe I just paid some extra fee to substitute for membership insurance or something?
I sent an email yesterday to Ian to ask about membership cards/nines/etc and he said I should receive all that stuff.

I'll be looking for it in the mail...

Old 07-28-2008, 09:04 AM   #153
GA
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to GA
Well I am now officially registered.

While I agree that SCNA's bedside manner has not been what it should have been, re: SOC outreach and costs, I have to say I don't think it's "too expensive" or too exclusive.

The real question is not why is SOC so expensive, but why is Carlisle so cheap? And the reason that Carlisle is so cheap is because all of you east coasters live so close and can get together on a campground relatively cheap. Plus the Central Penn Saab Club types are willing to put in an absurd amount of volunteer labor to organize things.

But the biggest factor is that Carlisle is part of a much bigger show than just Saabs -- Carlisle itself takes care of the location, logistics, etc.

SCNA has to reinvent the wheel, as it were, to duplicate much of what the Carlisle campground/car show infrastructure provides.

And SCNA needs revenue in order to do a separate Saab convention. And $170 (or so) for four meals may seem like a lot, but think of it as $70 for food and $100 for the convention. Which is more than Carlisle but not that much more, given that SCNA is not piggy backing off the Carlisle infrastructure to put on the event.

Plus once you accept the need for conference rooms to do seminars, video presentations, and the like, you're into an additional range of expenses that the Carlisle Saab event does not incur. (Although I was profoundly impressed with what CPSC did with the tents, generator, etc.)

These are different events with different economics. And I'm thrilled to be able to go to both of them this year.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:43 AM   #154
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I was told at the NESA meeting this past weekend, that the SOC registration has been officially closed.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:53 AM   #155
GA
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabvideos View Post
I was told at the NESA meeting this past weekend, that the SOC registration has been officially closed.
Well the online registration tool just took my payment and sent me a confirmation e-mail.

There was also a message posted this weekend on the TURBO! list saying SOC registration closes "in 2 weeks" (which would be August 9th or so). Which is consistent with past SOC's, IIRC.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:02 AM   #156
Elder

Ditto for me, but I just renewed my SCNA membership, nothing more.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:04 AM   #157

It's clear then, people are confused as to when SOC registration is over because there is no information on the Saabconvention.org website pertaining to this, in fact you can't even access it anymore.

Everyone attending the NESA meeting were on board stating that we hope this SOC goes well, because the website communications to the public has been almost virtually non-existent.

I am hoping for the best..
Old 07-28-2008, 10:07 AM   #158
Elder

The attendance at SOC is nowhere near as important as the state of our nation's banking system or real estate market.

(so shitcan the panic pedaling, m'k?)
Old 07-28-2008, 10:19 AM   #159
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Last night I was looking at the registration website...no problems. I think the way it was linked on other bb's may have caused some issues. Who knows.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:32 AM   #160

Mcrowley,

Please show me how a perspective Saab owner who wants to go to the SOC can register using www.saabconvention.org

I think that function is broken since it autodirects to another website that does not have a registration link.

(Not all Saab owners in the country know about the event brite site..that's the point here, just us "enthusiasts", and that's a problem.)

Update: I see now that someone has updated the saabclub.com website to include a registration link. This was not here before, so that's good, because people were kind of left in the dust before this update here.

- R

Last edited by saabvideos; 07-28-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in