New policy for SOC parts tent? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Welcome to The Saab Link > Events > Saab Owner's Convention (SOC)

Saab Owner's Convention (SOC) As requested, a dedicated forum for SOC related threads.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2008, 05:04 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
New policy for SOC parts tent?

So, seeing as NESA is going to be in on helping out with SOC this year, should we push for a non-vendor early opening time for the parts tent? Then, maybe 30 minutes to an hour later, it could be open to everyone?

Thoughts....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
Elder

yes
Old 04-15-2008, 05:11 PM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to moose
yes, it will give us poor college students a chance at some deals.

Stg. no go
My transmission boggles minds!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 04-15-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
Elder

yes.. i want some deals.. i need some is more like it.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
yes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:17 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
highly agree, though I could potentially be called a vendor if you wanted to get technical about it... though I generally am not in the business of of buying hundreds of new items (ECU's for example) with the express interest of re-selling them later on in the parking lot!

But yes, I think people who come to the convention with trailers full of parts they intend to sell, or those whom are known to run websites that exclusively sell saab parts should have to wait at least 30 minutes before they are allowed in.

Actually, An easier way to manage that would be to say for the first 2 hours the parts-tent is open, there should be a limit of 4 items that are the same per buyer. That way you won't have someone come in and buy 50 roof racks in the first 10 minutes the place is open. This would prevent there being none left for people that would legitimately use them, and make it so people that are simply in it to make a fast buck would not be able to buy everything up and re-sell it for double on ebay or in the parking lot.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:56 PM   #7
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I think it's a great idea. I have no idea how you could police it.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:59 PM   #8
GA
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post

Actually, An easier way to manage that would be to say for the first 2 hours the parts-tent is open, there should be a limit of 4 items that are the same per buyer.
Excellent suggestion. Easy to enforce at the cash register on the way out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:01 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Aero
I agree that item purchase limitation on same items is the best and most practical soloution.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:47 PM   #10
Elder

Keep in mind though who usually comes in and buys up all that left over too. It's usually not the folks buying a few things, and you will have to get rid of the junk that gets shipped to you. It is usually a vendor who will help out getting rid of the left overs. I think a better thing to do is not open it untill mabey 10:00AM and let it be a free for all.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:32 PM   #11
Avid TSL User

I actually like the way they ran it at SOC '06 (Didn't go to '07 so maybe that was the same also) that the high demand items (wheels, body kits, etc) were initially marked higher, and anything left was aggressively marked down the next day to move it.

The "limiting items" might work, but in my experience at '06, one vendor hit the tent with a small mob of people. Even with limiting the number of items, 3 or 4 people in collusion could clean out the best items in the first 5 minutes.

I like the idea of giving the everyday owner a chance before the vendors, but "where there is a will, there is a way" and a determined vendor will just solicit someone's help to buy in the "pre-vendor" times.

As to a free-for-all....Bad idea.... It needs to be a bit more controlled. Maybe space the people out a bit. Let 10 in every 3 minutes or so to control the stampede. My concerns where a direct result of me waiting by the parts door from 7:00AM to be the first in line, then having a "determined" group of 3 people mow me over in a mad rush for the body kits. There are stories from SOCs past of near fights over wheels, etc.

Yes, the tent is a chance for SAAB to blow out some old stock, but it is also a reward for brand loyalty. The parts tent should be a great experience for Saab OWNERS, a chance to get a few bargains and some stuff to brag about later. It should NOT be a venue for vendors to grab every desirable item to later turn for a quick buck, sometimes in the same weekend. That should be the driving intent of any new "policies"
Old 04-15-2008, 07:55 PM   #12

Moshan,

There was no high demand for body kits. I bought two on the afternoon of the second day of SOC 06, when they were marked down by more than 75 percent to move them out the door.

Where was the mad rush?
Old 04-15-2008, 07:55 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to b dash rian
"progressively marked down the next day" was what happened last year, from what i hear. It also meant that when they opened, it was marked down, and gone...

Quote:
Football stars play for the Steelers. Suck it, Cleveland.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:18 PM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cpenning623
Saunders, the reason there was no demand earlier is cause the price was too high! I was there and was waiting for one the second day, but got screwed. Thats years ago though lol.

I think all the ideas are all good, but I dont really think there is really a way to do it fairly.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:35 PM   #15
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
Moshan,

There was no high demand for body kits. I bought two on the afternoon of the second day of SOC 06, when they were marked down by more than 75 percent to move them out the door.

Where was the mad rush?
The mad rush was in the intila opening when people were sprinting over toward the body kits, wheels etc. They may have choosen to wait and see if the price when down later when they actually got them in their hands...

The fact is.. I got shoved...I know who did it... and I am still ticked about it...
Old 04-15-2008, 08:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshan View Post
The mad rush was in the intila opening when people were sprinting over toward the body kits, wheels etc. They may have choosen to wait and see if the price when down later when they actually got them in their hands...

The fact is.. I got shoved...I know who did it... and I am still ticked about it...

Moshan,

I hate to get all cross-examiney on you, but you just contradicted what you said in another thread, when you stated you saw someone standing with a kit.

...and in just a few posts, the amount of contact has gone from being described as "nearly nocked on my ass" to a "shove"
Old 04-15-2008, 08:46 PM   #17
Avid TSL User

I am done...

Saunders..let's share a beer as Carlisle or SOC...you can call me an asshole and I will hip-check ya...we can laugh about it and shake hands...
Old 04-15-2008, 08:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshan View Post
I am done...

Saunders..let's share a beer as Carlisle or SOC...you can call me an asshole and I will hip-check ya...we can laugh about it and shake hands...

Agreed...

Beer is the universal balm....
Old 04-15-2008, 08:51 PM   #19
Avid TSL User

First ones on me....
Old 04-15-2008, 08:55 PM   #20

OK!....

...and I'll make sure there's some cold Yuenglings clinking in the cooler....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in