Soc 2010 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Welcome to The Saab Link > Events > Saab Owner's Convention (SOC)

Saab Owner's Convention (SOC) As requested, a dedicated forum for SOC related threads.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2007, 08:38 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Soc 2010

I just sent an E-mail to client services of Indianapolis Motor Speedway into the possibilty of hosting SOC in Indy at the track. After seeing the success of the track day at SOC 07 and the desire to keep it I discussed with Ian about possibly trying to bring SOC to Indy at IMS.

I'm hoping to get a reply soon with contact info for who I would need to begin talking with. I will also be contacting the Tri-State Saab club (IN,KY,OH) after I've talked with IMS if they say they would be willing to host.

Reasons I believe IMS is a good location.
1. Gran Prix and Oval track. If it could be arranged a track event that spends time on both courses.
2. Gasoline Alley, if it could be arranged, for repair work whether its a simple repair to get a out of state saaber back up and running or a major repair such as the rear axle swap at SOC this year
3. Infield ares for showing the cars
4. IMS museum tours
5. Brickyard Crossing Inn right on the grounds of IMS
6. Golf Course inside the Oval track if we wanted to organise a Saab golf event
7. Should the Saab dealership be needed they are just east of IMS on 16th street.
8. Not sure of how they operate this facility but, in the case of a wreck during the track event that somebody is injured, there is an onsite emergency medical center.
9. Its Indy and there is plenty to do downtown. Could even plan a night where we drive down to the circle and park and do a local night showing. Plenty of the motorcylce guys do this but I don't know what it would take for an event like this to happen.

If anybody has any comments or ideas or is in the Tri-state club area you can e-mail me or post up here. Like I said I just emailed them tonight and am waiting for a reply sometime soon.

I did make the goof in the e-mail that I said 2009.....for some reason I thought 2010 was Denver. My goof but easily correctable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2007, 08:41 PM   #2
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Wow, get the year figured out.

THEN e-mail the people.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:47 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Eh I was one year off and I said I was seeking out the individual(s) and their contact information so that I could get the appropriate answers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 09-26-2007, 02:19 AM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I was at Indy a few years ago for the world police and fire games. They had the big party at the gasoline alley area of the track. (for about 3 thousand people) I doubt we'll get that many.
Excellent idea. Indy is a great town.
My guess is the cost will be too high, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Is the registration page up yet? 'Cause I'm in.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:36 AM   #5
TSLMember

This information was posted in the SCNA meeting minutes for Aug 4, 2002.

"The 6 must haves for an owners convention are: ample parking, meeting facilities, affordable/good food, family attractions, track event, & hotel accommodations."
Old 09-26-2007, 04:42 AM   #6
GA
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to GA
Yeah, I have to think that the Indianapolis Motor Speedway is outside of our budget. I'll bet even the "club discount" rate is out of our league.

Plus the place is so big it will make the convention look like no one is attending.

If I were to hold SOC at a race track, it would be Talladega -- although that's probably too expensive, too.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:06 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to amish_geek Send a message via MSN to amish_geek
Yes.

Talladega.

Shake & Bake Baby!
Old 09-26-2007, 05:18 AM   #8
Elder

Question: are enough people at SOC to merit having it at such a gigantic venue?
Old 09-26-2007, 05:20 AM   #9
GA
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher View Post
Question: are enough people at SOC to merit having it at such a gigantic venue?
No.

There were about 300 at the SOC in Detroit. The New England SOC's can generate 500-600 in attendance.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:26 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to amish_geek Send a message via MSN to amish_geek
And the west coast SOC's consist of the Morley clan & the 4 other Saab owners west of the Mississippi?
Old 09-26-2007, 05:37 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
There are more but, for every five people who drove to Michigan, there was probably one person who flew. While having SOC in a more central location in the country makes geographic sense, it still creates long drives for nearly everyone....
Old 09-26-2007, 06:30 AM   #12
Elder

Well after having talked with Ian about it he said to at least look into it as far as cost. Yes I know the cost is the biggest factor but there isn't anything wrong with looking into it. I've already got a reply back from IMS and talked with the person I was told to contact. They told me most likely will have a full reply of what it would take by the end of the day. Never hurts to ask and find out.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:31 AM   #13
Elder

Another probably cheaper, but would get the job done option, would be Inianapolis Raceway Park. Roard course pleanty of room and not far from the big track or hotels.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:33 AM   #14
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonracer View Post
Another probably cheaper, but would get the job done option, would be Inianapolis Raceway Park. Roard course pleanty of room and not far from the big track or hotels.
I'll look into that later as well.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:34 AM   #15
Elder

Well the answer I got back from IMS says they feel that they would not be able to provide what the SCNA would look for as a host for an SOC.

They cited that there use of the track is a group run at 35 mph max so that would have to sourced elsewhere. They say there willing to host the show portion as they do lots of events like that but there'd be no point in just that. I'll send out an email to IRP and see what they say.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:10 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to Saabotaged900T
500-600 people in the NE? I'm not sure if this has been done but as for track/road course has anyone considered Lime Rock in Litchfield, CT? Its a fairly nice track, only thing is I dont think there is much in the way of hotels in the area (to my knowledge anyways, I usually just drive up in the AM and leave in the afternoon, about 2 hours from the Bronx)
Old 09-26-2007, 11:22 AM   #17
GA
Elder

500-600 is the total number of bodies, including day passes and random onlookers, that I remember from '05 and '06. I doubt the number of registered Saabs got over 300.

I'm sure others have much more specific recollections on this stuff.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:13 PM   #18

Lime Rock would RULE. Its a gorgeous road course in the rolling Litchfield Hills. Hartford (yay) is a half hour away as is Springfield, Mass. Have SOC there and you'd get some seious numbers.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:15 PM   #19
Elder

Send a message via AIM to StX221
Lime Rock would be a killer place for an SOC.
Especially all the fun roads in that neck of the woods.

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Old 09-26-2007, 05:17 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to Tikka
I vote SOC in Alaska.

Quote:
Which is fine. Because another guy got hit by a deer. Yes, a deer ran into a man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in