Chicago area SOC meet-up place - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Welcome to The Saab Link > Events > Saab Owner's Convention (SOC)

Saab Owner's Convention (SOC) As requested, a dedicated forum for SOC related threads.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2007, 09:17 PM   #1
GA
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to GA
Chicago area SOC meet-up place

Going to SOC, west to east:

I propose that the SOC caravan pick-up the caravans coming in from the west at the following location:

The Denny's restaurant just south of I-94, exit 19, in Portage, Indiana.

Going east take a right off the exit, and then take the next right - the restaurant should be right there, next to a Days Inn.

For those into eerie coincidences, that happens to be the Crisman Road exit.

Here's the google maps link:

http://www.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en...9437&z=14&om=1

Hopefully this is past all the tolls and construction crap.

If this location is a bad idea, you Chicago area types let me know -- and give us a reasonable alternative.

I estimate arrival between 3 and 4 p.m. - and definitely we need to leave by 4 p.m. to keep the schedule.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2007, 09:20 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Would love to meet up with you guys but I'm joining a central indiana group up to SOC. See you up there though. I'll have one of my 2 drinking shirts on the first day so I'll be easy to spot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-18-2007, 10:15 PM   #3
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
I posted this on SC. I cut and pasted the highlights...

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=108553

I'm hoping for some input...

Old 08-19-2007, 06:38 PM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to HIDSPG
Whos all meeting in IL?

Old 08-19-2007, 06:48 PM   #5

i have no clue when us iowa guys are leaving. I would imagine we would be leaving sometime around noon from ia city and it takes about 3 1/2-4 hours to get to chicago.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:41 PM   #6
GA
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG-GASM View Post
i have no clue when us iowa guys are leaving. I would imagine we would be leaving sometime around noon from ia city and it takes about 3 1/2-4 hours to get to chicago.
Google maps says 4 hours from Iowa City to the meeting spot in Portage, Indiana.

That's doable, since we were planning on being there at 3:30, departing at 4 pm.

We're going to be doing a cell phone number exchange via PM, PM your cell # and you can call me on Thursday to see if we can get our groups together.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:18 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to amish_geek Send a message via MSN to amish_geek
Even if one group is running behind, I'm sure we can wait half an hour or so for them to catch up. I wouldn't mind waiting, even for an hour to let a group meet up with us.

An hour waiting together at a rest stop, BSing is different than an extra hour on the road.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:40 AM   #8
Elder

What is the best route to drive through/around Chicago during the day?

Old 08-20-2007, 07:36 AM   #9
GA
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ View Post
What is the best route to drive through/around Chicago during the day?
That's an excellent question. Google maps takes us on I-94 all the way through, which is the freeway closest to the lake shore. I assume that all routes kind of suck, so the shortest route is probably the best.

The only real way to avoid the hassle is to take I-37 south from Madison, Wisconsin, and then I-90 on the way through Chicago. The downside to that route is that you still have to go through Chicago (and I drove to Chicago using that route last year, and there was much construction, lane closures, toll booth construction, etc., on it).

The I-94 route through Milwaukee has long been recommended as a quicker route. Whether that's urban legend or not, who knows?

I think we're probably SOL no matter how we go.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:21 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to amish_geek Send a message via MSN to amish_geek
90/94 along the lakeshore, which goes right through downtown isn't bogged down with construction. At least it wasn't when I was there 3 weeks ago. So I'd take that route.

I can't vouch for road conditions east of downtown though.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:43 AM   #11
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by amish_geek View Post
90/94 along the lakeshore, which goes right through downtown isn't bogged down with construction. At least it wasn't when I was there 3 weeks ago. So I'd take that route.

I can't vouch for road conditions east of downtown though.
Better to take 90 from Madison or stick with 94 through Milwaukee before that?

Old 08-20-2007, 07:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ View Post
Better to take 90 from Madison or stick with 94 through Milwaukee before that?
I would sick with 94....

Old 08-21-2007, 04:13 AM   #13
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
Well, two schools of thought here from someone who grew up in the area:

Shoot down I-90 from Madison, bang a right onto I-290 east just west of O'Hare and then dump onto I-294 east through to Indiana. Bad news? Tolls, patchy construction (although you should miss the worst of it at the Touhy exchange) and the Borman, a stretch of highway that can get ugly at times. Good news? You stay the hell out of downtown Chicago.

Or....

Shoot down I-94 from Milwaukee, merge into I-90 and pray it isn't backed up with some accident, motorcade or the like. Bad news: This takes you right through downtown which is only a pleasant trip if A) The reversable express lanes are open on the Kennedy (which they most likely won't be in your direction at that time of day) or B) it's 2:30 a.m. Good news: If you choose I-90 instead of I-94 south of the city, you'll get the privilege to drive above some of the city's worst neighborhoods on the Chicago Skyway. Mazel tov!

One thing to remember about Chicago highways, it is no longer an issue of everyone driving into the city in the morning and then driving back out in the evening. There is a ton of reverse commuting going in every which direction so don't count on being in the less-traveled direction.

Also, you might want to check a site like this one

http://www.wbbm780.com/topic/traffic.php

to get an idea of midday traffic.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:14 AM   #14
Elder

Thanks!

Old 08-21-2007, 08:26 AM   #15
GA
Elder

FWIW my family and drove down to Chicago for the Fourth of July last year, and did the I-90 to 90/94 route into downtown, and it was freaking awful with backed up traffic and construction. The worst part of it was before 90 merged into 94. Once we got to 90/94 it wasn't too bad.

I realize it's been 14 months, but I have no desire to relive the experience. I vote for the I-94-from-Milwaukee route.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregabbott View Post
FWIW my family and drove down to Chicago for the Fourth of July last year, and did the I-90 to 90/94 route into downtown, and it was freaking awful with backed up traffic and construction. The worst part of it was before 90 merged into 94. Once we got to 90/94 it wasn't too bad.

I realize it's been 14 months, but I have no desire to relive the experience. I vote for the I-94-from-Milwaukee route.
Thats what the plans is! See ya when you get here!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in