SOC07 Track Event IS A GO! STILL TAKING DRIVERS!! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Welcome to The Saab Link > Events > Saab Owner's Convention (SOC)

Saab Owner's Convention (SOC) As requested, a dedicated forum for SOC related threads.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2007, 12:04 PM   #1
SAABeginner

Thumbs up SOC07 Track Event IS A GO! STILL TAKING DRIVERS!!

Hello! Sean Mullady, SOC07 driving events coordinator here.

THE TRACK EVENT AT WATERFORD HILLS <www.waterfordhills.com> IS A GO! AND WE'RE STILL TAKING DRIVERS! WHOO-HOO!

We still are and will accept online registrations at $175- thru 8pm 22Aug (next Wednesday) at <soc2007.eventbrite.com>.

For you very very very last minute folks: If you still want to participate and it's after 8pm 23Aug (Wednesday), you MUST put $175 cold hard, crinkley cash (no jiggles) in my hand to participate BEFORE the 9AM driver's meeting. So, no excuses!

Non-SAAB cars welcome! Spectators, too!

Gary Moore of Dayton, OH has done a great job in pulling this event together to where we on the SOC07 committee approved the decision to move forward with it!

There tentatively will be 7 instructors and two SOC run groups (experienced and novice) with the instructors themselves making a third in return for sharing their experience and time.

Basic requirements are a safe car, M95 helmets or better, closed-toed shoes, long pants, and a valid license. Contact me <mulladys at earthlink.net> or Gary <SPG900 at mail.saabnet.com> for more info.

Loaner helmets will be available on a first come, first serve basis. I'll have a few balaclavas for helmet sharing but please bring your own balaclava or, preferred, helmet.

See ya at WHRRI on the 23rd!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2007, 12:16 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Powar
I saw this post on a mailing list earlier. As much as I'd love to participate in a track event (and have wanted to for a couple of years now), I just can't take the chance of breaking my car on track 6 hours from home, leaving me with nothing to drive to and from work when I return. I wish this weren't the case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-14-2007, 12:38 PM   #3
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powar View Post
I saw this post on a mailing list earlier. As much as I'd love to participate in a track event (and have wanted to for a couple of years now), I just can't take the chance of breaking my car on track 6 hours from home, leaving me with nothing to drive to and from work when I return. I wish this weren't the case.
OK, that's the ONLY excuse that I'll accept.

(still a weak one )

Old 08-14-2007, 12:59 PM   #4
Elder

Signed up last month! I'll be there!

Just redid the brakes (fluid/rotors/pads) and all that is left is a new IC (gotta find time, have the unit!)

What is the situation for extra people, I will be bringing 1-2 other friends with me. Can they backseat it or ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:12 PM   #5
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ View Post
Signed up last month! I'll be there!

Just redid the brakes (fluid/rotors/pads) and all that is left is a new IC (gotta find time, have the unit!)

What is the situation for extra people, I will be bringing 1-2 other friends with me. Can they backseat it or ?
Spectators are fine.

Riders will be decided on a case by case basis...Gary has the final call.

I think he said it was OK for them to ride w/ instructors...and they'll need a helmet, too.

Gary, correct me if I'm in error here...
Old 08-14-2007, 01:18 PM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Yeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaa.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:29 PM   #7
dip
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via Skype™ to dip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powar View Post
As much as I'd love to participate in a track event (and have wanted to for a couple of years now), I just can't take the chance of breaking my car on track 6 hours from home
I suggest you go. Nothing compares to an event dedicated to the car you love and drive. A track day exclusively filled with Saab enthusiasts is a one of a kind experience ;].

It's understandable that you worry about breaking your car far away from home. But consider that the speed and abuse it receives depends on one person - you. It's not racing, there's no prize, and no need to go as fast as you can. Lap timing is prohibited, and I suspect passing will be limited too. By the end of the day noone's going to remember (or care) who was faster.

It's likely the instructors will discourage you from getting close to the limit at first, until you learn the track and prove that you can handle yourself (you're your worst enemy, not the car). Just take it easy and enjoy the ride. Focus on doing everything smoothly, and you end up going fast without actually trying to.

You will learn a lot and become a better driver. Think of it as an Aero Academy for 10% of the price (which is actually true).
Old 08-14-2007, 07:56 PM   #8
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to josuar88 Send a message via MSN to josuar88 Send a message via Yahoo to josuar88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Yeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaa.
Actually its beeeyaaaaa

I'm Not Poor Just A Saab Enthusiast

Old 08-15-2007, 08:08 AM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanKHotay View Post
Spectators are fine.

Riders will be decided on a case by case basis...Gary has the final call.

I think he said it was OK for them to ride w/ instructors...and they'll need a helmet, too.

Gary, correct me if I'm in error here...
Sounds good, I've got extra helmets so no worries there.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:48 PM   #10
gm
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

spectators are incouraged..... however at least at first students CAN NOT take people for a ride. As the day goes by I might allow it but really it depends on how things look out there.

ONLY instructors are allowed to take people for a ride

Powar.... I am in Dayton OK so if you do attend & something does break I have a trailer. That is if I do not break my 88 SPG......

Saabless for the first time since 1986
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in