SOC 07 drivers school - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Welcome to The Saab Link > Events > Saab Owner's Convention (SOC)

Saab Owner's Convention (SOC) As requested, a dedicated forum for SOC related threads.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2007, 07:02 PM   #1
gm
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

SOC 07 drivers school

Well, it looks like it's a go!! $275 for 2 days of driving at Waterford Hills raceway which is suppose to be 30 or so minutes from the host hotel. Please sign up!!! We MUST get 35 cars to get this to go otherwise the school will be cancelled due to loosing money.

The school is listed on the registration page

IF you need any more info or have questions about the event please drop me a email/PM

Saabless for the first time since 1986
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2007, 07:09 PM   #2
Elder

Yes Please

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-30-2007, 07:24 PM   #3

I have to do some schedule twisting, so I'm a definite maybe.
Here's a link to the tracks site.

http://www.waterfordhills.com/index.htm

Old 04-30-2007, 07:28 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Powar
Oh geez. Another reason for me to scramble to try to get my car together before then.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:41 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to bozs13 Send a message via MSN to bozs13 Send a message via Skype™ to bozs13
or....I could use that money for my car

Old 04-30-2007, 08:39 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Powar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozs13 View Post
or....I could use that money for my car
As someone who has taken trips to the gap, etc, I'd expect you to know that improving the driver is often the best money that you can spend on the car

Old 04-30-2007, 08:44 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
as much as that sounds like a great deal, 2 days on a track in a 73 Saab 99, 9 hours away from home kinda sounds like a recipie for disaster...

Paul

Old 04-30-2007, 08:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiatarPowar View Post
As someone who has taken trips to the gap, etc, I'd expect you to know that improving the driver is often the best money that you can spend on the car
Agreed. No matter how good you think you are, you can always learn more.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:49 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
yeah i cant swing that, i wish i could

^CLICK ME^
Old 04-30-2007, 09:22 PM   #10
Elder

i definetly am down for that. sounds like a great time. definetly something i want to do...
Old 05-01-2007, 05:16 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to bozs13 Send a message via MSN to bozs13 Send a message via Skype™ to bozs13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiatarPowar View Post
Yep yep Tis true....I'd do it if I had the money to spend but I need to get my car running or I won't even make it to SOC hehe
$275 isn't bad though.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:24 AM   #12
Avid TSL User

Instructors present? In-car?

Or will it be a ricer free-for-all? I guess I'm getting at that it would be nice to know the format before I'd commit. That's part of the reason I like the BMWCCA club schools so much.

Can you register for the track days without registering for SOC? I don't think I could commit for Wed-Sat or Sunday. But Wed and Thursday, probably....

I will know more on my own desire to do this event after the Putnam School May 12.

Suggestion....open it to other car makes to hit the #s required?
Old 05-01-2007, 08:30 AM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to AeroDynamic
i would like to attend... does this over lap SOC events??
Old 05-01-2007, 08:48 AM   #14
gm

There will be instructors & my goal is to have it setup similar to the BMW events except with less classroom time. But it will NOT be a lapping day but a drivers school! 1 instructor per car is how I plan to set it up

I do not know why they wouldn't allow you to just do the school however since you have never been to a SOC you should come, split a room with me if you want!

We will open it to other cars however we would prefer to keep it SOC people only, so time will tell on that.

No, it will not overlap anything with the SOC. The opening dinner starts thursday evening & the drivers school will be finished in time to make it to that. The SOC festivities (show/shine stuff) is friday/sat & the drivers school is over at that time.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:53 AM   #15
Flirting With TSL Addiction

GM,

Can you please e-mail me at [email protected] with all of the details, so that I can post it to help you meet the 35+ registrants? Is there a cap at how many cannot attend?

I don't check this board often, so I look forward to any info that you can provide so that I can help you meet those objectives so that the event is not cancelled.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:06 AM   #16
dip

Send a message via Skype™ to dip
A bunch of random questions off the top of my head.
  • do you have a particular schedule in mind (something along these lines)?
  • will you have off-track exercises (wet skidpad, slalom, collision avoidance, etc)?
  • how much time is planned for each type of training (classroom vs skidpad vs track)?
  • will novice students have more classroom instructions and practical exercise, while the advanced group get more track time?
  • where (and how) do you recruit instructors?
  • is lunch included? ;]
  • do you need any help?
Old 05-01-2007, 11:33 AM   #17
gm

saabvideo's, I will send a email your way later tonight

-the schedule will be worked out when I know how many cars we have. Depending on how many cars will determine how much tracktime & also how long each session is.

-No, the only off track exercises will be the classroom & I have not located anyone to teach a class but I am working on it. I do have a couple hopefulls

-classroom probably 30-45 minutes a day max & tracktime I would hope at least 1 hour 30 minutes would be the minimum time. The tracktime will be maximized... that I promise you!!

-no, everyone will have the same amount of classroom time & also track time that is except for the instructors, they will get less tracktime

-instructors are people who have lots of experience at this track. IF you know the track really well then PM me & maybe we could use you.

-lunch is not included

-yes, we will need help. I should be able to manage sending the registration packets/info out myself however I will need help checking people in & also doing tech inspections on every car.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:38 PM   #18
dip

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm View Post
No, the only off track exercises will be the classroom
Personally, I think those are important. Both as a warm-up, and as a tool to teach drivers the basics of car control before you can let them out into the wild so they can apply these on the track. It's especially important for novice drivers. Without it, the school stops being an educational event and turns into a lapping day with semi-helpless guardians in every car.

Keep in mind that although the majority of students signing up will be enthusiasts, what you're actually be getting is a bunch of random people with a passion to drive fast. Local schools and clubs usually have at least some way to check drivers' background and experience level, but in your case it will be rather hard to do.

Quote:
classroom probably 30-45 minutes a day max & tracktime I would hope at least 1 hour 30 minutes would be the minimum time.
In other words, 4-5 sessions 20-25 minutes long, right?

Quote:
yes, we will need help. I should be able to manage sending the registration packets/info out myself however I will need help checking people in & also doing tech inspections on every car.
Mmm... tech inspections: "Battery secured, trunk empty, carpets out, you're good, mate"

Don't forget to tell the students in advance to PREPARE their cars to the school. It's got to be in plain view on the first page of the application package or something like that. Have the brake fluid flushed prior to the event. Have sufficient brake pad life or spare pads. Suspension checked and tight. Good tires. No engine leaks.

You might even make a point of reminding them to go easy on the car. It's common when people think driving schools and track days is where you destroy your car. Which is wrong, because the amount of abuse it gets depends on the driver alone. Tell them that they REALLY don't want a bent wheel or a blown headgasket. It's not a local event where you can just tow the car back home for a hundred bucks. People will be coming from hundreds or thousands miles away, and having their car break down on the track will be an enormous hassle.

Another question, how's the legal stuff being handled? Insurance, liability waivers, etc.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:54 PM   #19
dip

BTW, do you admit convertibles without rollover protection (e.g. the new 9-3 has pop-up bars, but older cars don't). Not that I have to worry about that myself , but other people might. We get asked this question often.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:02 PM   #20
gm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dip View Post
Personally, I think those are important. Both as a warm-up, and as a tool to teach drivers the basics of car control before you can let them out into the wild so they can apply these on the track. It's especially important for novice drivers. Without it, the school stops being an educational event and turns into a lapping day with semi-helpless guardians in every car.

Keep in mind that although the majority of students signing up will be enthusiasts, what you're actually be getting is a bunch of random people with a passion to drive fast. Local schools and clubs usually have at least some way to check drivers' background and experience level, but in your case it will be rather hard to do..
I do not think they are important because the only way to warm the car up is to be out on the track. I think I have attended 10+ schools now & not once have we had a "off-track" facility to warm up the cars. I do not see how a skidpad would warm up all of the tires? I do like the idea of not allowing any passing for the first 1-2 laps which is what I will do. This allows the car & driver to get up to speed/temp. I feel the best way to get them up to speed is to let them out on the track & it is the responsibilty of the instructor to ensure the driver is not doing stupid things. If he is doing stupid things the driver will be told to get off the coarse & have a nice little talk.

I will get drivers background & group the drivers accordingly, it is not easy to do & I feel is required for these events

Quote:
In other words, 4-5 sessions 20-25 minutes long, right?
Or maybe 3-4 30 minute sessions, I kinda like long sessions more then more shorter ones because it gives people more time to get in their groove. IT also will allow for more track time due to not having to swap run groups as often. Possibly 15 for the 1st & then 3 30 minute sessions

Quote:
Mmm... tech inspections: "Battery secured, trunk empty, carpets out, you're good, mate" .
Also brake pads OK, wheels torqued properly, brake fluid new & OK etc

Quote:
Don't forget to tell the students in advance to PREPARE their cars to the school. It's got to be in plain view on the first page of the application package or something like that. Have the brake fluid flushed prior to the event. Have sufficient brake pad life or spare pads. Suspension checked and tight. Good tires. No engine leaks. .
That will also be done in the group email or mailing, however we decide to send it out. Bleeding brakes is required & pads with at least 50% life. I will probably bring extra brake fluid just in case..... these are saabs so engine leaks will happen, nothing we can do about that. However when at speed on a track if fluid is being dumped obviously they will be black flagged & told to fix the problem

Quote:
You might even make a point of reminding them to go easy on the car. It's common when people think driving schools and track days is where you destroy your car. Which is wrong, because the amount of abuse it gets depends on the driver alone. Tell them that they REALLY don't want a bent wheel or a blown headgasket. It's not a local event where you can just tow the car back home for a hundred bucks. People will be coming from hundreds or thousands miles away, and having their car break down on the track will be an enormous hassle. .
Myself or someone else will have a talk with everyone before anyone heads out on the track. We will go over what the flags mean & also talk about fatigue/hydrating/etc. The first 1-2 laps will always be under yellow due to like I stated, lets the cars & drivers get up to speed. The 2nd day is always very crucial because the tires & brakes will feel a lot different then the day prior plus the driver will probably be more fatigued then they think. Obviously we all drive to the track & want to drive home but sometimes those blown headgaskets or warped rotors is all part of it. Hell, the last SOC drivers school I blew my engine!! My car will be on a trailer so if something does happen we have a way to move it somewhere.

Quote:
Another question, how's the legal stuff being handled? Insurance, liability waivers, etc.
All tracks require a insurance policy which costs us $1200 a day. It's a few million dollar policy & is standard track insurane. Also as always people will have to sign a waiver as they enter the track, all normal track - insurance laws

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in