Pregnant or abort? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Welcome to The Saab Link > Saab Link Site Issue Forum

Saab Link Site Issue Forum Post any questions, concerns, and issues you are having with the site that need to be resolved.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011, 03:51 PM   #1
SAAB Road Master

Smile Pregnant or abort?

Yeah I just could not figure out "how to" ask or be tactful. I tend to step on my own schlong all the time.

Who owns this site? I did try to look at the announcements and other than a few scattered comments it has been implied that "Saddu" is but there are some connections with that verticalscope that took over Saab Central.

No, no, I'm not taking issues since I take far more than I give and honestly I'd give more if I had the knowledge.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
"Saddu" won't answer the question. I asked him point blank in the moderator section and he won't even respond.

Likely, he is under some sort of contractual agreement not to discuss it, though more recently it seems like he is simply not on the website at all.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-16-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
Elder

so weve been sold out potentially?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:44 PM   #4

Similar shadow buyer deals are common in commercial real estate. Big Company X wants to buy land, but they know that a seller will sense deep pockets and not budge on the price. They get a seemingly independent small buyer to buy at a lower price, then he flips it to the big company for less than Company X would have paid.

Or Saadu is harvesting sites on his own just to flip them. It's happened with domain names in the past.

I hope Ced got more than a handshake and backrub for it...
Old 03-16-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
Elder

It sure seems like that is the situation. If you look at the "TSL website problems" thread, there is some proof taken in a screen-shot over at SC that this was what happened.

I would direct users here to go to • Index page - as likely it is only a matter of time before this website starts to get treated like an ATM machine and gets all full of adds.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
SAAB Road Master

Thanks and yes it does sound like a real estate property flip doesn't it. or a straw man.

Odd that the senior mods have no way to contact him, or more correctly, he does not "answer the door".

Eh, no warrant, so no entry with no probable cause.

While the cat is away the mice will ...
Old 03-16-2011, 06:33 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to JLausch
I did a domain whois on it and it comes up as being owned by Deccan Foods Inc. lol.

If you do a whois it lists a contact email, oddly enough to a medical company of sorts.
'01 Viggen (sold)
Old 03-16-2011, 07:12 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
This is my favorite response to that question.

And, yeah, the asshat has never posted a phone number or even a private e-mail.

Also, we're waiting for pics of his 2003 9-3 SS. I suspect we'll be waiting a long time.

Hey, corporate Canada, do you think we're all that stupid?
Old 03-16-2011, 10:39 PM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnanXWD View Post

Odd that the senior mods have no way to contact him, or more correctly, he does not "answer the door".
You think so too? With Cedric, near the end, I thought he was a bit of an absentee landlord, but at least we could still contact him and get a response! this guy, nothing.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:05 AM   #10
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

you guys are making me depressed..... this has been my Saab "home" since i bought me car! this site and its members are like family to me! met a lot of good people on here and gotten a lot of good info.

if this suddenly becomes some corporate dumping ground its gonna be a HUGE loss to a lot of people. this has always been enthusiast owned and operated.

my question is why has it changed hands in the first place and why wasnt some sort of decent review process done for next owners and not just highest bidder?

im crossing my fingers and hoping that TSL stays on its original path of being a core enthusiast site.......

Casey
Old 03-17-2011, 06:43 AM   #11
SAAB Road Master

I was pretty active in a helping way on another forum. It got sold to a few people who are all about the money. Pretty funny because the one owner was bad about the sport (in this case), and the other was an "intellectual" who had a site that never had more than 6 active members because they would sit around and analyze the same ball of twine down to the last strand. But 10 years and 16,000 post later, I slipped away.

There is so much we can control?

I wonder what would happen if there was a "sick out". Would that get the attention of the new owner? Really if the $$ is paid according to usage would a drop in traffic do anything?
Old 03-17-2011, 07:12 AM   #12
Elder

Well likely the "new owner" is likely not even really the owner - the real owner is some corporation. There is probably very little anyone here can do except vote with their feet WHEN it gets bad here.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:14 AM   #13
User
Elder

Send a message via AIM to zingZACH
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1llsh0rty View Post
you guys are making me depressed..... this has been my Saab "home" since i bought me car! this site and its members are like family to me! met a lot of good people on here and gotten a lot of good info.

if this suddenly becomes some corporate dumping ground its gonna be a HUGE loss to a lot of people. this has always been enthusiast owned and operated.

my question is why has it changed hands in the first place and why wasnt some sort of decent review process done for next owners and not just highest bidder?

im crossing my fingers and hoping that TSL stays on its original path of being a core enthusiast site.......

Casey
Hurts a lot of us too ... I've been here since the beginning back in '03. Definitely bites the big one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:44 AM   #14
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
It changed hands because the original owner/founder needed money and a straw buyer for a larger corporation offered him quite a bit more than any rational independent buyer would have.

The bad news? The original owner seemed uninterested in entertaining any offers from the membership. It was a done deal before we had a chance to get our foot in the door.

The good news? If the original owner knew how to Google, he could have easily linked the new owner to a much larger corporation and demanded more money. Easily. Like within minutes. Sucks to be him.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #15

I think that we can all agree that we'd prefer if the site was owned by an enthusiast, however, I'm confused as to what people are seeing that is causing them to lose hope.

Certainly the new owner is not attentive, and that has caused some day-to-day maintenance issues. Did we not have them before?

I've been coming to this forum for less than a year now, so I'm certainly a noob in that respect. I did not have the benefit know prior owners, or knowing if things were better in the past.

Some folks here have witnessed the ill effects of forums transferring to new owners who are only looking to monetize the content and traffic. What is the consensus now:

That is definitely happening here
That is likely to happen here
That might happen here

I certainly don't know whats going on, I'm just trying to make sure people don't jump ship to soon. I've enjoyed my (short) time here.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #16
Ero

Quote:
Originally Posted by aireeca View Post
This is my favorite response to that question.

And, yeah, the asshat has never posted a phone number or even a private e-mail.

Also, we're waiting for pics of his 2003 9-3 SS. I suspect we'll be waiting a long time.

Hey, corporate Canada, do you think we're all that stupid?
! I did that, I did that! :P
Old 03-20-2011, 06:21 PM   #17
TSLMember

autoforums has owned this place for ages. same place that now owns sc
Old 03-20-2011, 09:11 PM   #18
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
You think so too? With Cedric, near the end, I thought he was a bit of an absentee landlord, but at least we could still contact him and get a response!

Are you kidding?

No we couldn't.

Go back, look at the threads. One person had his cell #, that's it.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:12 PM   #19
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacotaco View Post
autoforums has owned this place for ages. same place that now owns sc

100% wrong. So wrong, I might come back and delete your post. I have not decided yet.

Last edited by Palmer; 03-20-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:18 PM   #20
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuHuSPG View Post
I think that we can all agree that we'd prefer if the site was owned by an enthusiast, however, I'm confused as to what people are seeing that is causing them to lose hope.

Nothing. Yet. Well, if you count a few people whining about the 4 little links at the bottom of the page for social media sites, then yeah, something happened.

Certainly the new owner is not attentive, and that has caused some day-to-day maintenance issues. Did we not have them before?

Yes, we did have them before, and they went on for much, much longer. I think we were down for 5 days late last summer. The site came back up, and nothing was said.

Now, with the new owner, people bitch when it's out for 3-5 hours.
(burnside the whiner, I'm looking at you)

I'm not trying to be an asshole here, I think the way this all went down was a crock of shit, and I'm just waiting to get pissed enough to bring to roof down on the place. That has not happened. Yet. If I get pissed, it's going to happen.

I've been coming to this forum for less than a year now, so I'm certainly a noob in that respect. I did not have the benefit know prior owners, or knowing if things were better in the past.

Kinda. Some upgrades were made, every once in a while, but TSL was on back burner status for at least 3-4 years. Perhaps that's why so many Saab people felt safe here...because nothing changed.

Some folks here have witnessed the ill effects of forums transferring to new owners who are only looking to monetize the content and traffic. What is the consensus now:

That is definitely happening here
That is likely to happen here <------?
That might happen here

I certainly don't know whats going on, I'm just trying to make sure people don't jump ship to soon. I've enjoyed my (short) time here.

Eh, wait and see is my feeling on it. I'm sorry other people don't feel the same way.

Last edited by Palmer; 03-20-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in