Pregnant or abort? - Page 2 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Welcome to The Saab Link > Saab Link Site Issue Forum

Saab Link Site Issue Forum Post any questions, concerns, and issues you are having with the site that need to be resolved.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2011, 05:42 AM   #21
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
Palmer, I understand where you're coming from...you don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater and that's a reasonable response to the situation.

Yeah, as far as we know, we have not yet been handed over to Autoforums/Vertical Scope. This seems like an eventuality given the relationship between TSL's present owner and past experiences of several other boards. Admittedly, I have not really whipped out my Google Fu to find out if there are forums that Saadu has bought and not sold to VS, and that's my oversight. Maybe I'll be bored enough tonight in Jersey City to do a bit of poking.

Here are the things I worry about (and these were stated fairly plainly in the now-deleted threads over at Saab Central):

1. Corporate ownership of our words and ideas. Example? Ced probably wasn't going to go out and make and sell an app using, say, WyldSaabMan's technique for replacing a leaking diff bushing. VS does have the resources to do something like that and not compensate WyldSaabMan for use of his content/ideas/method/technique.

2. Stewardship of the board by non-enthusiasts. You know, if a Volvo person came and took over the board, that would be fine. We'd all have some great arguments and it would be a terrific exchange of ideas and opinions. But, to drag out my past, there's a reason why I was not a sports writer - I know nothing and usually care even less about sports. In the one-off story about a spectacular athlete or event, that doesn't matter much. But, to have the board ultimately administrated by people who don't own cars, don't care about cars and don't care to care about cars in the future? I might as well try to teach TurboDog how to speak Danish.

Am I giving up on TSL? Not entirely. I'm also not being overly Pollyanna-ish about this whole development.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2011, 08:30 AM   #22
Elder

Also, banner ads are gone from the forum homepage. Not judging, just observing.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-21-2011, 08:48 AM   #23
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Huh. That's weird.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:49 AM   #24
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
The part that really got me is when Ced said that he felt the new owner could take TSL to where he wasn't able or didnt have the time.

I had a buddy who has done UndergroundPoetrySpot.com, MicthaPoet.com and the new Gannett USA today site. He like the idea of doing things here.

Now it looks like "take the site where I couldn't" is to the trash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 03-21-2011, 09:25 AM   #25
SAAB Road Master

Red face axe a question

OK, sex, religion, politics or money and all but how much does it cost to run a bare bones site?

There is a guy who runs a site about my old home town. He post a few pics from archives or an occasional dirve-by every day.

There are about a grand total of six of us who stop by .. I guess it's a "blog".

Yesterday he posts for donations and says they aren't necessary but today he comes on and threatens to shutter the site week at a time?

I mean I was going to pop him like $25 to buy lunch but ?? What are the costs like. He goes on the net and downloads a few stock pics then down loads a few from his camera.

Just curious.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:56 AM   #26
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Its cheap enough theres no need for ads. It can be supported with one paid sponsor (for bulletin and server) Then volunteer supporters for time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 03-21-2011, 11:20 AM   #27
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos View Post
The part that really got me is when Ced said that he felt the new owner could take TSL to where he wasn't able or didnt have the time.

I had a buddy who has done UndergroundPoetrySpot.com, MicthaPoet.com and the new Gannett USA today site. He like the idea of doing things here.

Now it looks like "take the site where I couldn't" is to the trash.
But likely your friend didn't want to cough up the $7,500 to buy the site from Ced. And, by all accounts, it really wasn't worth that. Much more sentimental value than anything else.

I can understand Ced's business decision. He needed cash, he didn't need the site and $7k in front of his nose was probably a lot easier to deal with than a bunch of us dickering with him in regards to the site's actual value and scraping together our pennies.

However, I will stab the first person who insists that a paradigm shift will not occur when VS takes over. They're in it for the money, which is fine. We're in it for love, which is fine, too. Just don't tell me it's still an organic endeavor past that point because it ain't.

By the way, I found this site through Saabtoberfest '05 when the Pennsylvania crew plus a few others were standing around in the rain wearing their drinking team T-shirts. The universe was really, really listening that day....Talk about sentimental value.

Also. My hypothesis on the ads and the relative disappearance of our fearful leader? Alignment. I predict his next post will read something like this:

Quote:
saadu
Car: RX-8 2K4

New owner of the ORG!
Dear members,

I'm pleased to announce that after much thought I've decided to transfer ownership of newbeetle.org to the autoforums.com group. Since taking over from jcroft, I think the site has improved quite a bit. The traffic has shot up and the site performance has also been heavily improved. I evaluated many options before deciding to work with autoforums.com. These guys are a group of young automotive enthusiasts supported by a strong organization that pretty much guarantees that newbeetle.org will be around running like a well-tuned vehicle for years to come.

I would like to thank the staff for all their contributions, and especially noR and CrazyJames for all the help they've put in since the early years.

As for upcoming plans, Yung, the new admin will be able to fill us in.

Thanks!
Yung, by the way for those who missed out on the Saab Central yumminess, doesn't own a car.

Last edited by aireeca; 03-21-2011 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Can't write for shit today
Old 03-21-2011, 11:37 AM   #28
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
And that is the likely future of TSL. Everyone here ready to welcome Yung to the forum as the main admin? Someone who does not even own a car is absolutely mysterious to me. Why and what's wrong with them?
Old 03-21-2011, 11:42 AM   #29
SAAB Road Master

Why, axe yourself why would Yung would not have a car?

I can think of one big reason. Actually a few but one came mind.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #30
Elder

He doesn't have a car because he lives in Toronto and the trolleys are his mode of transportation.

That's fine, I'm in Jersey City during the week and I hate driving here so I take light rail to avoid potholes and the random Toyota 'Rolla careening out of control.

Whatever will be, will be.

*wanders off whistling "Que Sera Sera."*
Old 03-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #31
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Buddy wasn't going to buy it, buddy was going to fix it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 03-21-2011, 11:53 AM   #32
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos View Post
Buddy wasn't going to buy it, buddy was going to fix it.
Understood. But, when someone is mentally done with something, they will take whatever means possible to be actually done with something. Ced wasn't interested in the site any longer, so why coordinate someone "fixing" it?

Also, VS's twitter feed.

Last edited by aireeca; 03-21-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #33
Elder

well now that there is a deep pocket owner, if I do a mod or use WyldSaabMan's technique for replacing a leaking diff bushing I can sue the site if it blows up in my face..

Hmm...
Old 03-21-2011, 07:28 PM   #34
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
Not sure how well that would work, if it did, I think Haynes manuals would have gome bankrupt back in the 60's - to my knowledge they are still making shitty manuals for profit.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #35
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

You're right on there DeLorean, their manuals are shit. Its rather hard to copyright a task that anyone can read about and do for themselves. Sure there's the specific technique one has for their way of doing it, but that would be hard to prove. I say lets what and see, and bail if things get too much like SC.

1983 900 8v turbo- sold
1998 900 SE- sold
1995 9000 CSE
Old 03-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #36
Avid TSL User

this sucks
Old 03-30-2011, 09:18 PM   #37
Avid TSL User

If there is new ownership - it is neither good nor bad.
However there needs to be a clear communicaton of member expectations so they can continue to fulfil their core mission.
It is better for the new owners to really grasp this than blow $7k and then watch site traffic evaporate beceause they are not filling the expecations of the members.
There are plenty of mothballed sites out there that get visitors who never return as the site didn't stand for anything.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:12 PM   #38
SAAB Road Master

I just really read jssaab's post about "blowing up can I sue" ??

Hmmmmm. There is probably a hold harmless clause in the agreement. Those often are not bullet proof however.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:41 PM   #39
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudethe9-5isfast View Post
If there is new ownership - it is neither good nor bad.
However there needs to be a clear communicaton of member expectations so they can continue to fulfil their core mission.
It is better for the new owners to really grasp this than blow $7k and then watch site traffic evaporate beceause they are not filling the expecations of the members.
There are plenty of mothballed sites out there that get visitors who never return as the site didn't stand for anything.
Can you say absentee landlord? Good, I thought you could. We have no way of reaching the new owner beyond PMs here at the site. No e-mail, no phone number.

That's neat.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:35 PM   #40
Avid TSL User

I understand that many of you are upset because this has been your home for a long time, but has anyone considered creating a new home? I mean, the general consensus seems to be that if it turns into saabcentral here that they are going to leave. It's already been said that the cost of the server and domain could easily be paid by a single supporting sponsor, so why not do it?

Just my .02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in