My thoughts regarding third party ads (Craigslist, ebay, etc) - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Welcome to The Saab Link > Saab Link Site Issue Forum

Saab Link Site Issue Forum Post any questions, concerns, and issues you are having with the site that need to be resolved.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007, 09:01 AM   #1
Elder

My thoughts regarding third party ads (Craigslist, ebay, etc)

They are annoying. But sometimes helpful.

How about rather than having 117 different threads, one of the moderators (me maybe) create a sticky thread along the lines of:

Post craigslist/ebay finds here

It should be a thread JUST for links. No comments, etc.

Because, truthfully, they are helpful. I mean I ended up picking up a roof rack from a Minneapolis Craigslist find and sent it to someone on this board in Toronto.

Just my thoughts...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2007, 09:03 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to CooperS7777
Is this supposed to be in the ECU Chris? Not sure if you wanted us all to see it, but if so Im for it. Maybe just a one liner - ie "Viggen Wheels - NH" or "SPG, Minnesota" with the link.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SQR Performance, Saab Repair & Service

Quote:
Fuck the afterlife, its Miller time.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-29-2007, 09:03 AM   #3
Elder

2 threads, one for ebay, one for craigslist????

And yes I find them exceedingly helpful and interesting too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:04 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
I think thats a capital idea!
Old 10-29-2007, 09:07 AM   #5
GA
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to GA
What's wrong with separate threads for this stuff?

Is the objection that the "For Sale" section is for members only, and this clutters up that section?

Then create a new forum or sub-forum: Off-Topic For Sale

That way the Members' For Sale forum stays nice and clean, and we still get to post these threads, which are both fun and informative IMHO

(I don't like the sticky thread idea, I think it'll be hard to track comments on individual items in there)

Old 10-29-2007, 09:09 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher View Post
one of the moderators (me maybe)
Old 10-29-2007, 09:11 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
That does sound like it would be "neater" greg. Better check with your local "Elder Moderator" for the proper blessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aireeca View Post
QFT
Old 10-29-2007, 09:22 AM   #8
Elder

i think the idea was to have a list of the items without comments. So that if you wanted to look for something just wander through and see. No opionated BS on items. if you have a question on something post a SHould i Buy This thread and let people tell you know or say hell yeah and buy it out from under you.
i like the idea of a sticky for all ebay craigslist finds. also do just one thread for both ebay and craigslist. no need to do a seperate for each...
Old 10-29-2007, 09:25 AM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregabbott View Post

Then create a new forum or sub-forum: Off-Topic For Sale

That way the Members' For Sale forum stays nice and clean, and we still get to post these threads, which are both fun and informative IMHO

(I don't like the sticky thread idea, I think it'll be hard to track comments on individual items in there)
Echos my feelings

Old 10-29-2007, 09:29 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
It is a good idea, but it goes against the reason we wanted to stop them in the first place.

Although its helpfull to person b, posting up the add for person b to see, now means person a, who is the originall bidder now has more competition.

Also, even posting the adds in a different way, doesn't change the fact a part could have been sold weeks ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 10-29-2007, 09:32 AM   #11
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos View Post

Although its helpfull to person b, posting up the add for person b to see, now means person a, who is the originall bidder now has more competition.
No eBay then... I agree... but Craigslist though? What harm is there really? Maybe its sold, maybe its not, one of us will find out and probably post up anyway...

Old 10-29-2007, 09:49 AM   #12
JK
Elder

I like the "Craigslist finds" idea. I don't have tons of time to check that stuff.

eBay...I think they should not be posted unless its your own auction, or something really crazy and non-saab related (example: like a chip shaped like Osama selling for $35,000)
Old 10-29-2007, 10:09 AM   #13
Trollerator
Elder

I know I have been wathcing rare items on ebay and someone posts it here, (who by the way has no interest in it, so what do they care), and then all of a sudden I have 20 bids against me swarm in.

that SUCKS.

If you know someone looking for a red turbo 900, and you find one on CL, you could always email or PM them

I am sure this topic will be discussed by the moderators as there is a lot of varying opinions.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 10-29-2007, 10:14 AM   #14
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdukted1456 View Post
I know I have been wathcing rare items on ebay and someone posts it here, (who by the way has no interest in it, so what do they care), and then all of a sudden I have 20 bids against me swarm in.

that SUCKS.

If you know someone looking for a red turbo 900, and you find one on CL, you could always email or PM them

I am sure this topic will be discussed by the moderators as there is a lot of varying opinions.
That's the nature of eBay. Just because you found it first, doesn't mean you deserve it more than another member.

I know I have personally, bid on wheels against other TSL'ers. If the sole reason is to be "fair" then that's a pretty dumb reason.

The whole point of this site is the free exchange of information regarding Saabs.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:16 AM   #15
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aireeca View Post
Please don't clutter on topic threads with off topic images. If you have something to contribute it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-29-2007, 10:19 AM   #16
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Everyone makes good points.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:20 AM   #17
c900 Grognard
Elder

What did the pot call the kettle?

I personally think with CL, if someone already saw it, they probably would have already contacted the seller anyway and have "dibs" on it.

I don't think it's that big a deal if an already sold CL item is linked, "worth a shot" you know.

With ebay, I think anyone who has any interest in saab parts probably checks it once or twice a week, which is pretty much all it takes to see every part/car they have to offer...so what's the point of linking them anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe
Korean wheels, man. Like catnip for the ladies.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:20 AM   #18
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos View Post
It is a good idea, but it goes against the reason we wanted to stop them in the first place.

Also, even posting the adds in a different way, doesn't change the fact a part could have been sold weeks ago.

I think this is silly. Buying anything is a matter of how much are YOU willing to pay for it. If two saablinkers are bidding on an Ebay item and one person wants it more, he will pay a higher price! The other person doesn't loose the auction because he didn't have the oportunity, he looses because he wasn't willing to pay enough!

I'd rather loose to a saablinker than a random stranger anyway, at least somebody in the saab community can use the item.

Plus, how is that any different than a seller posting something on the link and asking for best offer? Thats like turning a classified ad into an auction, whichg I think is jacked.

But let ebay alone. On one hand it *might* put two linkers bidding against each other, but on the other hand it might provide somebody the oportunity to buy something they really need/want at a reduced cost they might not have otherwise seen.

I know I bought one of my double three spoke wheels from an auction Mike Saunders let me know about.

Tboy
Old 10-29-2007, 10:21 AM   #19
Trollerator
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher View Post
That's the nature of eBay. Just because you found it first, doesn't mean you deserve it more than another member.
I didn't say that.

my point was that I could win an item for 20 bucks if a whole Saab website was not turned on to the item. Or I could win it for 70 bucks because someone wanted to "help me out"

if another member is looking for a XYZ can't they go look for it on their own?

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 10-29-2007, 10:23 AM   #20
GA
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to GA
The idea of not posting Saab-related eBay auctions in a Saab forum is bizarre.

We should not be censoring posts which are of interest to the Saab community because someone gets his undies in a bundle when other people in the Saab community notice the same item he is bidding on.

The same rationale against eBay posts applies to Craigslist as well -- someone posts it, calls the seller first, and POOF the item is gone. Is it TSL's fault that someone noticed the thread before the original guy could make a phone call or send an e-mail? No.

Are we going to make a rule that you can't post about certain car modifications, because it might give people ideas and thereby prevent some third party from being the first to do a mod? Or prevent someone from making a living by reducing the value their proprietary version of the mod?

Capitalism in the internet age can be harsh. eBay auctions are 100% public. You cannot hide it on the internet. Other people are going to notice the auction you are trying to win with an insanely low bid.

It is not TSL's job to stifle Saab-related discussion solely for the purpose of protecting your low bid.

Deal with it.

That would be my proposed policy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in