The Next Step for Saablink - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Welcome to The Saab Link > Saab Link Site Issue Forum

Saab Link Site Issue Forum Post any questions, concerns, and issues you are having with the site that need to be resolved.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2007, 03:14 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

The Next Step for Saablink

Hello Everyone,

To begin with. If your reading this to only post stars, sneezes, cat pictures, chuck norris jokes, aggressive tunes 30psi, leg humping, go off topic, or whatever not related to this topic... leave now. If you choose not to administrators will have no problem removing you from the forum...simple.

As some of you know I am the "development" lead for this new website. So far, I am overwhelmed with all the positive feedback I have gotten for this website, I greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much for being patient with the server issues, this site flies now so its time to start moving on. Special thanks to Ced and 420am for making the server fly. *claps

1.) I thought I would let everyone know (remind) that the current forum skin is temporary and the old skin will be brought back to life along with the new site header. This will be making its move over pretty soon (within a week hopefully) and it will not cause any downtime with the website. What things do you guys miss with the old forum skin besides colors/layout? iSpy or something?

2.) Saab Technicals is the next section to be built. The whole point of this section is to aggregate all the current technical information in to one place. This includes complete how-to style articles (how-to change your brake pads for example), vehicle specifications (engine cylinder bore diameter for example), and summarized discussed topics. I am a 9000 guy and one of the biggest discussions I've been part of is the Transmission Thread, look for a summary on that whole topic in the Technicals. We cannot do this by ourselves, so we need your help. Were a community, right? We are looking for anyone who has had experience with working on their Saab, and want to contribute. Hopefully we will be getting support from people who already have technical information available (dip for example). All dip's howto's will be listed on our site, but linked to his website. Any Saablink related information will have its own page.

So you want to help out... Here's how. Simply post your article in the "Tutorials" board. Anything you have will have to go through an approval process for accuracy, and grammar. The people doing all the approving are you! If you have information to add to the tutorial, add it. Basically, any topic made will be used as a notebook to put together knowledgeable article. If it's worthy of being something posted in the technicals section, it will be replicated in to an actual page, with YOU (and others who contributed) as the author. Remember, pictures are helpful.

The Technicals page hasn't been built/designed yet, so I am open to any ideas anyone has for the technicals section. Basically whats going to happen is you select a car, select a section (engine, brakes, ECT) and there will be a list of related articles with descriptions and direct you to the article.

People made suggestions in chat, but I forgot them, sorry, can you remind me? Palmer, I think you had a good one.

Thats about it. Those in the IT Industry.... from a technical perspective its going to be all front end work. Everything will be HTML pages for now with server side includes. There will be a backend put in to place in the future, but I dont feel like writing my own right now, too busy. Anyone with HTML/CSS experience please contact me or Ced, we might need your help with the creation of new articles. You must be able to write in XHTML/CSS Strict standards. Anyone with PHP/MySQL/AJAX preferably OOP expert experience contact me if you want to help.

Fun Fact: Did You Know.... That Saablink averages 1100 unique hits per day? And rising...

Later,
Paul

Last edited by Guteman; 09-22-2007 at 03:22 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2007, 03:42 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to AeroDynamic
Thanks for everyones hard work on this site.

One thing I miss is the listing of the 5-10 newest posts on the home page. (I would love it if they scrolled and automatically refreshed every so often.)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-22-2007, 03:57 PM   #3

I'm liking this.......a bunch!

Old 09-22-2007, 04:08 PM   #4
Elder

I'm pretty decent with HTML/CSS. Hit me up if y'all need help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 9-3 - Nordic Stage 3
2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:15 PM   #5
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Dang, I don't remeber much of what I told you.

Maybe it's in the chat logs?

I was only in there a few times last week, so maybe it would be easy to find...

EDIT: Oh, and I REALLLY like the Tech section idea.

EDITx2: Ok, I thought of a few ideas for articles. These are kinda basic but I think they would be good for the n00b.

-how a turbo works
-how to read a flow chart
-info on basic first upgrades for all models
-suggested matenenace items
-real basic info on oils

Amyway, like I said, kinda basic. But a good start for any new owner...

I get the idea that this area will be kind of like a saabwiki or something. That's great!

Last edited by Palmer; 09-22-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:31 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroDynamic View Post

One thing I miss is the listing of the 5-10 newest posts on the home page. (I would love it if they scrolled and automatically refreshed every so often.)
x2!

The scrolling posts on the homepage were awesome. That needs to come back. Also, maybe more club-specific bb's (NESA, etc), something like an event calendar, etc might be helpful.

Thanks for the hard work!

Old 09-22-2007, 06:04 PM   #7

Ok I have a suggesstion with the technicals maybe, its something I find missing from DIP's site actually!

I would liek to hear more driving impressions about a mod, or repair etc. Like if you make a mod, It would be nice if a "results" section was included. How did it do, how much did it lower your car, how much better braking, driving impressions, worthiness (would you reccomend) etc.

That is all. Looking forward to this new section.

Tboy
Old 09-22-2007, 06:06 PM   #8

In my own opinion I actually like the newer look, especially now that the loading speed issue has been resolved. Saablink news, Upcoming events, Latest Forum Threads, (Improving it with a scrolling top ten posts) & Saab Industry News, I think is good for new members as well as guests, to show them what is going on in the Saab community.
I was looking forward to the Showcase & Project to see who would be on there & what it takes a car to get up there.

And great big thanks to everyone that puts their hard work into improving and to keep it up & running.

2004 9-5 Aero 5pd Stg 3 Wagon
1990 900 Convertible
2007 Cbr600

Old 09-22-2007, 10:23 PM   #9

Alright the whole "scrolling" 10 post thing is confusing me. I can make something that shows the 10 latest posts on the homepage. Right now, theres 10 latest threads.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboy View Post
Ok I have a suggesstion with the technicals maybe, its something I find missing from DIP's site actually!

I would liek to hear more driving impressions about a mod, or repair etc. Like if you make a mod, It would be nice if a "results" section was included. How did it do, how much did it lower your car, how much better braking, driving impressions, worthiness (would you reccomend) etc.

That is all. Looking forward to this new section.

Tboy
Results would be apart of the article itself, but a good idea. As far as in to getting in to details really depends on the authors/contributers of the tutorial.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroDynamic View Post

I don't know how I missed this the first time.
Yes, yes, and yes!

The basics articles for noobs is a great idea too.

If nothing changed, this would still be fantastic.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:41 AM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to CooperS7777
Gute, will you be transfering old articles to the tech section (IE the B234 info thread I made)? Or should I copy that and re-submit it to the tech sections?

Also - I think a feedback system for items bought sold and traded on the site is in order. It would certainly help aleviate any worries for new(er) users, especially when dealing with somone who the regulars know/trust allready...just a thought.

SQR Performance, Saab Repair & Service

Quote:
Fuck the afterlife, its Miller time.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:51 PM   #13
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

This is going to sound trite compared to the "big picture", but we need some new smileys.

As much as I hate them, I do use them sometimes. Many other people do as well.

I just joined a local site, and they have some pretty funny ones.

Anyway.

Smileys.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:54 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Tikka
I miss the list on the bottom of the main forum page that shows who is in chat.

Quote:
Which is fine. Because another guy got hit by a deer. Yes, a deer ran into a man.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:54 PM   #15
TSLMember

Bigger Picture Limits?

I dont know if the 100k photo cap is a standard but it seems a little small....Is there any way to increase this or is there limited server space at the moment?
Old 09-23-2007, 01:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooperS7777 View Post
Gute, will you be transfering old articles to the tech section (IE the B234 info thread I made)? Or should I copy that and re-submit it to the tech sections?
when the time comes around I will be going through all the boards to see stickied topics and may use them as articles. So, no need to copy, thanks tho
Old 09-23-2007, 01:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
Smileys.
For some reason I think smiley's will promote more off topic immature posts. I'm not completely stupid for thinking that am I? I will see what I can find.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:16 PM   #18
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

I would hope that people use the "new" format of TSL as a fresh start for themsleves, and keep the BS to a minimum.

Besides, I don't think this little guy is going to hurt anyone:
Old 09-23-2007, 01:30 PM   #19
Elder

Send a message via AIM to AeroDynamic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
This is going to sound trite compared to the "big picture", but we need some new smileys.

As much as I hate them, I do use them sometimes. Many other people do as well.

I just joined a local site, and they have some pretty funny ones.

Anyway.

Smileys.
We at least need this:

I LOVE THAT ONE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guteman View Post
Alright the whole "scrolling" 10 post thing is confusing me. I can make something that shows the 10 latest posts on the homepage. Right now, theres 10 latest threads.
Ten latest posts meaning whatever threads have had the ten last posts come up on the home page and it scrolls through refreshing them. On the top is the newest and the bottom the oldest.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:44 PM   #20

I think once the site is totally updated, the post counts should all go back to zero.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in