Thread Moderation - Page 3 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Welcome to The Saab Link > Saab Link Site Issue Forum

Saab Link Site Issue Forum Post any questions, concerns, and issues you are having with the site that need to be resolved.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2006, 09:54 PM   #41
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
Quote:
Originally Posted by escalator guru View Post
Then trash OT or "other random media" or start banning people. That's the only way your point is going to get across.

I've seen mods say they only read threads that pertain to them, and now you just here said that you didn't read the whole thread... in the feedback and suggestions section of your own forum. Ced, I'm not trying to start shit with you, but how can you improve the site if you (a collective "you") do not care to read an entire thread, or only to read what applies to you, or to not enforce the rules that you chose in effort to make TSL a better forum than the others? And again.... lead by example. If you want us to disengage from the bullshit circus *again a COLLECTIVE "you"* then perhaps it's time to stop all the talk and take some action.
"I've read this thread up to this point and before I continue.." This means i wanted to respond to a specific statement before continuing on with the rest of the thread.

I have always read each and every suggestion posted and brought to me directly. Not all have been acted upon, but they were taken seriously.

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2006, 03:44 AM   #42
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Quote:
Originally Posted by swdmus View Post
Blaque Out you just made a very good point about useless stuff. I agree
x2 The way off topic stuff is good in moderation. I don't even bother to read the 40 page threads of random stuff. I'd rather see more Saab videos, pictures, for sale stuff, interesting Saab anything...etc. A good portion of the time I spend on this forum is while I'm at work and I don't want to read random bs.

On another forum I frequent (clubgp.com) they have an OT section with almost as much random stuff, but posts there don't count towards a users overall post count and users tend to not go on for page after page. Maybe something like that coupled with OT stuff maybe getting filtered out in searches for new posts (an option?) could be helpful?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-07-2006, 04:27 AM   #43
JK
Elder

Ooooo....I like the idea of the OT posts not counting to our overall post count. As far as deleting threads and whatnot, I really have nothing more to add - my views have been represented by several people already and there seems to be a consensus on the idea of OT in moderation and a collective attempt not to drag so many threads way off from their initial topic.

Old 09-07-2006, 05:22 AM   #44
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
You know there would be more posts in the "On Topic" sections here if there was more direct feedback to them also. This is just my experience that if you post a thread asking for help or advice on your SAAB allot of times it does not get answered for days if at all.

I have purposely gone in and bumped my threads with stuff like "Well I guess I will answer myself" just to see if anyone would reply and still nothing sometimes.

So the people who bitch about nothing but OT posts here also need to actually answer the posts in the "On Topic " sections too and not just answer the ones where you see your favorite member posting or your buddy and drop the cliques!!!!

For a few month I stayed away from here and SC because the only way you could get an answer to something was if you were in the magic circle of coolness or something but once again its just getting old. I know I post OT stuff allot of the time but that seems the only way to interact with people here since that is the only type post that ever gets responded too.

Maybe its time to go back to lurker mode......

Old 09-07-2006, 05:29 AM   #45
Trollerator
Elder

I have gone too far ok that was priceless...

you guys complain the threads go to the shitter and you want to clean the site up and improve the image and when someone tries to keep things tidy you get mad about that too.

it's not hard. off topic is off topic. everything else simply stay somewhat remotely on topic or even better on topic....and don't post just to increase your post count and hear yourself talk or to fuel an arguement about something dumb

we just want the site to be easy to read and use and not turn into anytopicchatline.com and have no saab info

some of you are taking it way too personal

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 09-07-2006, 05:32 AM   #46
Trollerator
Elder

also Steve in reply to your post, I try to answer as much as possible no matter who is asking but sometimes people need to just search when the same question has been asked 50 times already, maybe that is why things don't get answered in some cases..

I know on SC I also feel ignored, probably they take the automagic for a joke and only you and ricot ever would reply.

i think if people spent more time on saab related topics there might be more replies to questions... instead of endless 20 page arguments in off topic forums

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 09-07-2006, 05:56 AM   #47
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdukted1456 View Post
also Steve in reply to your post, I try to answer as much as possible no matter who is asking

i think if people spent more time on saab related topics there might be more replies to questions... instead of endless 20 page arguments in off topic forums
Couldn't agree more. If I've got an answer to a particular post asking for help/info, I usually always answer.

...and as far as saab related topics : off topic stuff....that makes perfect sense to me.

Old 09-07-2006, 05:56 AM   #48
JK
Elder

Technical discussion leads to a broader overall knowlege base among the members...and maybe more people would be able to answer tech questions.

I will generally answer a question if I know the answer...sometimes I will post to say that I don't know - but that is pretty much just wasted page space on someone else's thread in my opinion.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:02 AM   #49
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Ok I can see if the topic is already covered to death then post up and say try searching atleast.... Thats what I do or I post links to the threads that contain the info.
And I personally will exhaust my searches and then when I can not find a definative post with an answer I will post up my issue and ask for help. But hell I get more respone from the 2 Volvo and Euro sites I frequent then I do on here of SC. Just syaing.

On SC there is definatly some boys club action going on but this site is definatly not exempt from it either. If your not from up in the North east it seems that you are not held in the same light and usually more ignored and I am sorry that is just the way I have seen it for the last year on here and maybe I am the only one but I doubt it.

Old 09-07-2006, 06:11 AM   #50
Trollerator
Elder

I think it is just that there are a lot of people in the northeast who know each other personally from being at big saab meets. this might also be part of what contributes to the social atmosphere and also in some cases might contribute to the social thing getting so far off topic as people are talking like as if they are just shooting the breeze and forget it is a Saab forum first and foremost.

I consider everyone part of the gang, i am sorry you feel that way Steve.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 09-07-2006, 06:20 AM   #51
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdukted1456 View Post
I consider everyone part of the gang, i am sorry you feel that way Steve.
Thats ok man...... You have always been more than friendly as well as some others too like MikeS, Blue 9-3, Iwantaviggen, Dasaabguy and a few others. Maybe since you guys all actually know each other in person that probably does account for the more warm reception but if that is the case and the guy in Nebraska who owns a SAAB and and posts only to get ignored is a SAD thing.

Oh well whatever... this is going off topic from "thread moderation" so I will quite with my site observations and go back into the woodwork and maybe take a break from SAAB sites for a while. That way when I come back it will all seem fresh and new again (for the first 6 months... lol).

Old 09-07-2006, 07:53 AM   #52
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
Steve, you ever think that maybe the reason your questions dont get answered is cause people might not know the answer? i know if i know the answer to a particular question, i'll answer is, regardless of who posts, and im pretty sure that goes for nearly everyone on here. maybe i just havent noticed cause im "in the clique"

i think the main issue here is everyone is taking this site way too seriously for their own good, and taking shit way to personally. everybody should just lighten the hell up, and maybe if you arent enjoying yourself here, and only come to bitch or pick fights, you just shouldnt come here at all.

Paul

Old 09-07-2006, 08:07 AM   #53
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
Steve, you ever think that maybe the reason your questions dont get answered is cause people might not know the answer? i know if i know the answer to a particular question, i'll answer is, regardless of who posts, and im pretty sure that goes for nearly everyone on here. maybe i just havent noticed cause im "in the clique"

i think the main issue here is everyone is taking this site way too seriously for their own good, and taking shit way to personally. everybody should just lighten the hell up, and maybe if you arent enjoying yourself here, and only come to bitch or pick fights, you just shouldnt come here at all.

Paul

See I thought that at first until someone asked the same question I did 2 days after me and it got answered within 2 hours. So I watched it the next time I posted a question about an issue I was having and once again on the same day a similiar thread was posted and got answered within minutes and that has not been the last time the same thing happened.

Like I said there are some people on here who are very helpful and have steered me in the right directions on issues I am having. But having said that I am sorry but there are cliques here and on SC and I dont really care if people see it or admit it or think I am a whiney little baby for voicing my opinion or whatever.

As for taking it all too seriously here... well even the mods have said they want this to be a serious place for SAAB owners to come for useful advice and help rather than an "Off topic" only forum or a joke on other forums. I agree that the haters should go away since we dont need senseless rambling and arguing BSAINT type posts on here or anywhere for that matter.

And Paul maybe you are in the clique and have not noticed it.

Old 09-07-2006, 08:24 AM   #54
Elder

Send a message via AIM to guru
I have trouble answering "on topic" technical posts because frankly, I just don't know the answer. My car, and cars in general, are just so new to me that I'm basically retarded when it comes to that.... so should I leave TSL because I don't know how the thing works inside and out?

Old 09-07-2006, 08:29 AM   #55
Elder

I dont think so guru...there has to be a balance of people in life.

Old 09-07-2006, 08:41 AM   #56
Avid TSL User

I think this thread is interesting. I linger around here and there.. But I do notice that the majority of the threads that are "new" are in Off Topic, which I don't understand why. This is suppose to be a Saab Forum, not a forum for Saab owners to BS on. (and I can see my ass getting bashed on by these comments) I mean maybe it is just that no one has my car, I really don't know.. but I make a thread in the appropriate section for my model and I get responses that aren't very helpful OR maybe one or two replies. I really think that If this Fourm wants to grow the BS needs to stop. This needs to be a informative place for saabers to learn and grow with their cars..just my 02 cents.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:43 AM   #57
Trollerator
Elder

Ok guys it is great to get feedback from users.

feel free to do so in a way that's friendly and constructive in nature

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 09-07-2006, 08:46 AM   #58
Avid TSL User

I hope I was constructive?
Old 09-07-2006, 08:47 AM   #59
Trollerator
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sweet2.0 View Post
but I make a thread in the appropriate section for my model and I get responses that aren't very helpful OR maybe one or two replies. .
no one here really has 9-3 SS yet...

I hope we can get some new members with 9-3 SS/combi. i know I'd like to see more posts in that section but the younger crowd (or maybe better term is more youthful) we have here is mostly into modding the older models that have a large aftermarket, which the 9-3 SS does not yet have.

I hope that changes soon because I know I am certainly interested in 9-3SS and sportcombi tuning

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 09-07-2006, 08:47 AM   #60
Elder

Send a message via AIM to guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sweet2.0 View Post
I think this thread is interesting. I linger around here and there.. But I do notice that the majority of the threads that are "new" are in Off Topic, which I don't understand why. This is suppose to be a Saab Forum, not a forum for Saab owners to BS on. (and I can see my ass getting bashed on by these comments) I mean maybe it is just that no one has my car, I really don't know.. but I make a thread in the appropriate section for my model and I get responses that aren't very helpful OR maybe one or two replies. I really think that If this Fourm wants to grow the BS needs to stop. This needs to be a informative place for saabers to learn and grow with their cars..just my 02 cents.

Saab owners are a fairly unique group of people. By spending so much time on the forum we kind of "bond" with each other. BSing is a healthy thing for friends to do, and I'm sure there are plenty of people here who will say that aside from a few disagreements we're essentially a tight knit group of 1500 friends.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in