The Saab Link Forums

The Saab Link Forums (https://www.saablink.net/forum/index.php)
-   Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 (https://www.saablink.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   9-3 drilled and slotted rotors questions (https://www.saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80090)

soccerrplyr 10-12-2013 05:44 PM

9-3 drilled and slotted rotors questions

What are you experiences with drilled, slotted or both rotors? Anything worth while other than the look. example Saab 9 3 SE 99 02 Drill Slot Brake Rotor Front Rear | eBay

ieldib 10-12-2013 06:21 PM

Paint the hats on these (old experience from these rotors on a BMW). Otherwise they will rust in no time. If you are going to go with slotted/drilled rotors just pay more attention to wear and pad/hardware replacement. Otherwise you will have uneven wear pattern/s. These are good rotors for the money IMO.

Bleedsblue 10-12-2013 08:50 PM

Basically just for looks, but I like the look of drilled or slotted depending on the car. Pros say the crossdrilled can risk cracking, and that slotted are stronger--but also that F1 uses solid rotors.

Zimmerman do rust badly as mentioned, at least in my experience, but Brembo/Stoptech seem to not rust for not much more $.

Marks9-3 10-14-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleedsblue (Post 1907522)
Basically just for looks, but I like the look of drilled or slotted depending on the car. Pros say the crossdrilled can risk cracking, and that slotted are stronger--but also that F1 uses solid rotors..

I've had great experiences with standard Brembo rotors, I actually took off drilled Zimmerman fronts on my ng900 and went with Brembos and EBC red stuff pads. Some companies drill the rotors to look good with no regards towards performance which could take away stopping ability. Price is decent on those.

I would personally go with the Brembo. They are $62.58/pc for fronts and $40.70/pc for rears. Total of just over $200 for the set front/back.

Jaws 10-15-2013 08:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just put Brembos up front.

mike saunders 10-15-2013 08:55 AM

The solid Brembos are pretty awesome for the money...

Saabeh 10-15-2013 10:31 AM

I have been buying Premium Centric rotors from rock auto that come with a black "e-coating" on the drum and vent areas for MUCH less than that. I would suggest you buy these and have them slotted locally.

Also, those rotors are from DRT in Lowell MA. I heard good things about them and bought some rotors from them. The fronts were vibrating within abour 5k miles and I replaced them with Centrics.

For a 2000 9-3 the parts would be:

More Information for CENTRIC 12038011
More Information for CENTRIC 12038012

With 5% discount and shipping you'd be looking at a grand total of around $163.41. Can a couple machine shops to see how much slotting would be, but I wouldn't even bother.

When I did the 300mm upgrade to the rear of my 2000 9-5:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-8...o/CAM00589.jpg

soccerrplyr 10-15-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marks9-3 (Post 1908114)
I've had great experiences with standard Brembo rotors, I actually took off drilled Zimmerman fronts on my ng900 and went with Brembos and EBC red stuff pads. Some companies drill the rotors to look good with no regards towards performance which could take away stopping ability. Price is decent on those.

I would personally go with the Brembo. They are $62.58/pc for fronts and $40.70/pc for rears. Total of just over $200 for the set front/back.

That's what I have now with ekebono pads but was wondering when replacement time came around