The Saab Link Forums

The Saab Link Forums (https://www.saablink.net/forum/index.php)
-   Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 (https://www.saablink.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   any to truth to this (https://www.saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64490)

gdc 02-21-2013 06:56 PM

any to truth to this

I read somewhere that a bigger down pipe could get me some mpg's is their any truth to this , I get around 30 to 31 at 65 on providing their isnt to many hills to climb I have Gs intake and stg1 tune along with a saabsport cat back and forge blowoff and vig intercooler , Im thinking of taken a cross country roadie and with the prices of gas and the distance i will travel , I was wondering if it would be worth it to get the larger down pipe , and oh in San Francisco today premium gas was 4.50 a gallon, oh joy , i wonder what it will look like by spring . so the rumored 20% that i heard would pay for itself eventually .

srp 02-21-2013 07:10 PM

20% I doubt. Yes you can get better gas mileage, but the car is so much more fun to drive I hardly get better anymore. :)

Easily 02-21-2013 07:12 PM

since its a t5 car (forge blowoff) my take on it as it wont be noticeable, 3inch allows EGTS to go down, and since our t5 cars are map sensor based and not MAF based, only thing your improving is air inlet/outlet flow though the whole system, as fuel tables are monitored by air density and not flow (this is what i think correct me if im wrong tuners)

gdc 02-21-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easily (Post 945946)
since its a t5 car (forge blowoff) my take on it as it wont be noticeable, 3inch allows EGTS to go down, and since our t5 cars are map sensor based and not MAF based, only thing your improving is air inlet/outlet flow though the whole system, as fuel tables are monitored by air density and not flow (this is what i think correct me if im wrong tuners)

I guess that sounds right. but i am far from someone who knows anything

Cm452 02-21-2013 08:36 PM

Yes. Not 20%. But yes. Reduced pumping losses, theoretically better exhaust-scavenging, and reduced incidence of knock, which, theoretically, would allow for a more aggressive timing profile and thus more efficient operation as an adaptive trait of T5.
The likelihood of your capitalizing on these gains; almost zero. The vastly hastened spool-up and meatier power-band preclude any such frugal endeavors.
-Cm

mike saunders 02-22-2013 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cm452 (Post 946018)
Yes. Not 20%. But yes. Reduced pumping losses, theoretically better exhaust-scavenging, and reduced incidence of knock, which, theoretically, would allow for a more aggressive timing profile and thus more efficient operation as an adaptive trait of T5.
The likelihood of your capitalizing on these gains; almost zero. The vastly hastened spool-up and meatier power-band preclude any such frugal endeavors.
-Cm

This, times infinity.

Nearly all the performance mods for T5 improve efficiency in the machine and a heavier right foot in the owner. By driving extremely conservatively you will likely see a gain, but you have to remind yourself to roll on the throttle easy and to shift early almost at the point of lugging the engine.

Snowcat77 02-22-2013 01:43 PM

the dp is worth it for the added drivability so do it anyway

bogan 03-01-2013 03:06 AM

When I drive my car to work and back 5 days a week I get excellent fuel economy. (really):p

On the weekend It sucks it like a V8.

Get a down pipe. The better your car breaths, the better the economy