Td04 install oil/coolant lines aftermarket thoughts - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2015, 11:52 AM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to soccerrplyr
Td04 install oil/coolant lines aftermarket thoughts

What is your take on XA Oil Water Line Kit for Saab 9 3 9 5 Aero TD04 Turbochager Teflon Hose Line | eBay

I have to get new copper washers, gaskets, etc..and came across this for the 19t install. The last time I did the install on my other 9-3 the hardlines were a PITA to work with and I still have a leak on one of the copper washers coolant lines that attaches to the block. Thinking this might be a bit easier to install/work around with as i don't plan on taking off the exhaust manifold for the install.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by soccerrplyr; 01-27-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2015, 12:34 PM   #2
Elder

I prefer the hard lines whenever possible. I guess it depends how many miles you want to put on the car and how many years you want to run it; people use flex lines all the time but it's hard to beat the stock pipe for years of dependable service.

Like you wrote, installation ease is the only reason I can think you'd want to swap, but IMO you are adding additional (marginal) unreliability to the car. There's also visual inspection in some states too, CA at least.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-27-2015, 01:32 PM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Saab Turbo Water Line Banjo Bolt Washer Adapter Saab 9 3 9 5 GT17 to TD04HL | eBay

I have not personally used these, but sure seems like an easy solution. If you're doing this install on your 2000, only the coolant lines are different. Like Drew, I'd stick with the hard lines. More connections = more possibilities for leaks. I've done dozens of these turbos and never had trouble with the lines (though a friend of mine struggled with them for an entire day, and was half pissed/half relieved when I showed up and had them on in 10 min)

Old 01-27-2015, 04:15 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to soccerrplyr
The original hardlines will work as there is a td04 on their now and i'm just putting on another upgraded td04. I'm not worried about that, just the ease of attachment. I already have to get gaskets, etc from eeuro for 25 bucks, figured for a little more $ for ease of install maybe aftermarket lines might be worth it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:10 AM   #5
TSLMember

I bought a similar kit off ebay that was cheaper and didnt come will bit the one you listed does. I ended up have to order one or 2 other bits to make it work but in the end it was worth it to me for the ease of installing the coolant lines and looks better imo. I had the correct td04 hard oil line.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:48 AM   #6
Avid TSL User

Send a message via Skype™ to Tap804
or you can do what i did and go to a hydraulic hose store who makes hoses, get conversion fittings to -an and have your own lines made. i had so many problems with mine, soon after i converted, its worth the extra money to me and the time it takes to drive 45 minutes to go to these guys, it also helps i used them for work too....

before i reclocked the 9k turbo i had decent lines, i need a new set made so once i get done ill post pics
Old 02-02-2015, 05:09 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
I've replaced hard oil lines with s/s when it meant not having to pull turbos off to snake hard lines through. It took 15-minutes, and the car's running leak-free for 3 years/60k miles.

Just make sure you're getting good quality stuff. I've heard of ebay vendors selling regular rubber lines that melt/burst. When I bought mine, I bought them from turbonetics, so I knew I was getting good quality, which meant the hose, itself, was $30.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in