ng900 coilovers. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2014, 11:32 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

ng900 coilovers.

I started with threaded sleeves and perches from the Summit catalog. The sleeves were a tight fit, I had to shave a fair amount of metal off. Presumably you can buy them a milimeter larger diameter and save a lot of this trouble. The tender spring, isolator and 500# coil are all also off the shelf parts.

The upper mount consists of a lower and upper half with the upper strut bearing in between.

Here's the upper half and bearing.

And the lower half, which starts with a receiver for the bearing.

The lower half is made of three pieces of stamped steel spot welded to each other in a stack: the bearing receiver, an intermediate piece with ribs to resist deformation under load, and a perch for the factory 5" (5.5"?) spring and rubber seat with a ~3" tube shape stamped into the middle to positively locate the spring.

I rested the bearing receiver face down on a workbench and drilled out the spot welds holding the stack together. They are easy to see: 3 on the first layer and another 3 staggered between them on the second layer. Here are the pieces disassembled.

The bearing receiver is the only part we're interested in. That intermediate piece was only necessary because the load from the wider factory spring is not applied directly up into the bearing, but into the edges of the thin sheet metal seat, creating a bending moment. Our replacement 2.5" coil spring will not have this problem, and can be seated directly on the bearing receiver. It would be quieter with a thin ring of rubber or foam isolating the two pieces of metal, but should work the same without it so I'm skipping that for now.

I cut thin rings off of a scrap piece of 2.5" exhaust pipe to centrally locate the new coil springs. I just used a sawzall to cut them, so it's not very precise. Saves me a trip back and forth to the metal shop at work.

Centered... more or less.

Weld the inside of the pipe slice, so it won't interfere with the spring.

Being an experiment, I didn't clean these very well first, so there was lots of spatter. If I make another set I'd put in the time and effort to do everything nicer.

And here's the finished product.

Right now it's assembled around cracked upper strut bushings, blown out shocks, and dying wheel bearings for test fitment. Next up: refresh the rest of the hardware and put them on the car. I'll update with results.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2014, 06:03 AM   #2
Avid TSL User

nice
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-04-2014, 06:23 PM   #3
Avid TSL User

What kind of height and adjustment levels are you expecting with these? More specs on all the parts you purchased for this would be appreciated. Curious to see how these turns out!

Old 12-22-2014, 01:10 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

I put the new upper strut mounts, wheel bearings and stud conversions on these a while back, but I still haven't had a chance to try them out because I've been kept busy by a bent rod and timing components on the silver viggen and oil smoke from the freshly built engine on this blue 900. Sometimes I think Saabs were sent to test me.

Shaner3721: This car in particular is ~2400 lbs at a ~70/30 weight distribution so the ride height on all the spring combinations I've tried (factory, koni sport kit, some 500# afcoils at stock diameter) has never been anywhere close to right. I need to lower the front several inches to get where I need to be, hence coilovers. Comparing with a street car is kind of apples to oranges.

On a stock weight car with an intact interior, the range of adjustment will be more than enough to get the wheels to rub. I'd be more worried about it not being able to go high enough to be practical, but that's always adjustable with shims or helper/tender springs.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:31 PM   #5
Avid TSL User

Send a message via Skype™ to Tap804
where these fitment pictures at!?!
Old 01-20-2015, 04:11 PM   #6
Avid TSL User

The bottom of the perch is 50mm from the bottom of the threaded sleeve.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:27 PM   #7
Avid TSL User

Old 03-29-2015, 09:25 AM   #8
Avid TSL User

Ride height is now 24.75" to the fenders. If I need it any lower than this I'll have to ditch the tender springs and isolators and put limit straps on it instead.

For reference my black Viggen on Koni yellows + the blue lowering springs from the kit Taliaferro sells is 25". It's not apples to apples because of 16 vs 17 inch rims and 700 lbs of weight difference.

More pictures.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:09 PM   #9
Avid TSL User

Went to a track weekend to see how the car works. It's not bad, but definitely oversprung in the front.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2Lpfmqc9so

I'm switching from 7" high 500 lb springs to 6" high 350 lb ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in