What is wrong with my clutch? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2014, 08:15 AM   #1
TSLMember

What is wrong with my clutch?

Hey guys,

I've been spoiled to drive an evo the past couple weeks, and just got back into driving my viggen. There is something that is off, the clutch pedal has no travel and probably about an inch or less travel to the floor.

There also seems to be no pressure in the pedal, and the clutch engages off the floor. My buddy keeps mentioning its the slave cylinder, but he usually doesn't know what hes talking about.

What should I look for or what needs to be replaced? Could it be my clutch itself? The clutch is slipping pretty bad, it was bearable throughout the years, but it slips every time now.

Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2014, 10:41 AM   #2
Elder

I just went through this debacle and it was the slave.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-13-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
Elder

900 or 93? The 900 has a clutch cable and the 93 has a hydro clutch.

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"

Old 10-13-2014, 05:44 PM   #4
TSLMember

It's for a 9-3..

How much was the slave? And what's the difference between cable and hydro?

Thanks
Old 10-13-2014, 07:25 PM   #5
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
You should take this to a shop.

Not to sound like a jackass, but you don't know enough to diagnose this on the internet.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:06 AM   #6
lms
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokie View Post
It's for a 9-3..

How much was the slave? And what's the difference between cable and hydro?

Thanks
The slave is the cheap part compared to the fact that you will have to drop the tranny to put it in. At that point you might as well get a clutch kit so if a shop is doing it, 1g, give or take. Bring to Saab shop and have them take a look at it.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:17 AM   #7
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Could just be worn. If the slave is shot, that will have no bearing on whether or not the wear surfaces are adequate. If the slave were shot, the pedal would not come off the floor, or you wouldn't be able to get it into gear without grinding. Check your fluid level, if it's low, then the slave or master is shot in all probability. The master cylinder will piss fluid in the drivers footwell, and the slave will typically ooze out near the bell housing, under the car. When mine failed, I had some sort of internal leak, where not fluid was escaping into the bellhousing, but air was getting into the system, and as such, my clutch pedal would stick the floor.
-Cm
Old 10-15-2014, 12:06 PM   #8
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
You should take this to a shop.

Not to sound like a jackass, but you don't know enough to diagnose this on the internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lms View Post
The slave is the cheap part compared to the fact that you will have to drop the tranny to put it in. At that point you might as well get a clutch kit so if a shop is doing it, 1g, give or take. Bring to Saab shop and have them take a look at it.
Wow 1000$? thats like half the price of my car.. (99 viggen w/ 250k+ miles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cm452 View Post
Could just be worn. If the slave is shot, that will have no bearing on whether or not the wear surfaces are adequate. If the slave were shot, the pedal would not come off the floor, or you wouldn't be able to get it into gear without grinding. Check your fluid level, if it's low, then the slave or master is shot in all probability. The master cylinder will piss fluid in the drivers footwell, and the slave will typically ooze out near the bell housing, under the car. When mine failed, I had some sort of internal leak, where not fluid was escaping into the bellhousing, but air was getting into the system, and as such, my clutch pedal would stick the floor.
-Cm
I don't see any fluid coming from under the car or inside, is it possible I just bleed the clutch? The pedal is about an inch max from the floor, theres literally no pressure when pressing in the clutch.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:34 PM   #9
Elder

Bleeding it might help. If one of the cylinders is bad then it will go back to what it's doing now, but start there.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:39 AM   #10
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to lowbudgethero
All of those just sound like the characteristics of the viggen clutch and pressure plate, except for a lack of pressure effort

Why would you want more travel and for a high engagement though? I hate when cars have huge pedal travel and dead space until engagement of the clutch.

If it's slipping take it to a shop and replace it, when the transmission is out the slave cylinder is easy to inspect.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:55 AM   #11
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudgethero View Post
All of those just sound like the characteristics of the viggen clutch and pressure plate, except for a lack of pressure effort

Why would you want more travel and for a high engagement though? I hate when cars have huge pedal travel and dead space until engagement of the clutch.

If it's slipping take it to a shop and replace it, when the transmission is out the slave cylinder is easy to inspect.
Well I believe proper clutch adjustment is necessary in order for the slave and master cylinders to be working effectively.

Some reason I can't embed the video, but something along the lines of this

I know its not for a Saab, but I believe the same steps apply.

I do like the engagement lower, I no longer buck the car shifting from 2-5, but overall there is something way off with the clutch pedal, it shouldn't be this low, and it shouldn't feel like there is no pressure in the clutch pedal.

I haven't had the time to actually look at the clutch pedal due to work, but I'll get to it sometime this weekend.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:57 PM   #12
Flirting With TSL Addiction

This is in all likelihood in your head. If the car shifts okay, and the clutch actually returns to full height, then nothing is wrong with your system. You said it slips badly; I vote its worn.
Saabs have hydraulic clutches, which are smooth and pretty light compared to a lot of the shit out there.
Again, if the pedal returns okay, and you can shift okay, then that's the way your car is.
-Cm
Old 10-18-2014, 08:49 AM   #13
TSLMember

I drove another viggen recently w 90k miles, and it felt great. Mine does not feel the same.

The ckutch should not be engaging off the floor.

Kind of off topic but does anyone know where I can source a used tranny? Is the tranny in the viggen the same as the trannies in the 99-2002 viggen a and og 9-3s? Also my brakes are shot could that be the reason for the ckutch? (My buddy was saying that the two go hand in hand)
Old 10-18-2014, 05:07 PM   #14
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
They share the same reservoir but there is a separation in it. So make sure its at the proper level or the clutch starts sucking air.

Viggen transmission is viggen specific. It is an OG9-3 transmission with a 9-5 carrier to support the viggen specific larger axles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in