So I want to install a tD04 in the 93 model any tips? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2014, 12:47 PM   #1
SAABeginner

Post So I want to install a tD04 in the 93 model any tips?

Hey people I really want some more power going on in my se and I wanted to install a tD04 in the 93 model, I wanna build it up but I wanted to know how easy this is of a conversion.
Also anything else ya'll suggest Ill really consider seeing as Im somewhat new to turbo applications. Anything like is an upgraded exhaust necessary or what else Ill be needing, especially what can I can hold off and what would be needed to put installed right away.?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2014, 05:01 PM   #2
Elder

Look at the stage (1-5) under performance forum. It will outline the recommended hardware by stage. To take advantage of the TD04, you should get a software/stage upgrade. When you get the TD04, get the lines from the donor car, as well as the intake manifold, just in case.
94 C900 Vert - Sold
94 325i Vert
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-14-2014, 05:58 PM   #3
Avid TSL User

You definitely need a retune for a new turbo, but check and make sure you 93 isnt a HOT model that already has a td04!

Old 09-15-2014, 04:58 AM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcat77 View Post
You definitely need a retune for a new turbo, but check and make sure you 93 isnt a HOT model that already has a td04!
Good advice! I thought the SE's all came with the HOT (High Output Turbo).
The intercooler on an HOT is a full crossflow with a hose on either end. The LPT's have both inlet and outlet hoses on the driver's side. The only differences between an HOT and LPT are the turbo, the intercooler, and the tune. The swap is a PITA if you're going to do it and you're new at it. The hoses, lines, tubing, and the other hardware are quite different. Get a cheap, nasty parts donor car with a good turbo and park them side by side and have at it. That's if you don't have an HOT already. Good Luck!

'00 VigVert- Nirvana
'00 9-3SE DD
2013 Silverado Z71 4WD
Old 09-15-2014, 06:16 AM   #5
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobg450 View Post
Good advice! I thought the SE's all came with the HOT (High Output Turbo).
Im not sure about if its the SEs that have it or how it all works, but I know if youre in doubt you can check by the vin number.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:22 AM   #6
Avid TSL User

Just did this last weekend on my 97 900 used this as a guide:

05.11.2005: Saab NG900 Turbo Upgrade - photo.platonoff.com

hopefully it is helpful to you,

key as others have said, make sure you don't have a TD04 already...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1997 900 se turbo
1995 9000 Aero
2002 93 se
Old 09-15-2014, 01:31 PM   #7
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via Yahoo to DC_SAAB
I installed a td04, with a bigger intake before any tune, and got rid of the turbo lag my 97 Ng900 was experiencing. Definitely helped, and think you'll see a big improvement over the t25.

If you haven't already.. upgrade your Intake, and check the turbo outlet size to the downpipe. I could be mistaken, but thought 9-3's already came with cross-flow IC.

I believe you need to swap the oil feed line to the turbo that requires 12mm banjo on the turbo side, and 14mm banjo on the block side for the td04. The two water connections should fit without a problem.

You might need to adapt to your current downpipe, but I would just update that to 3 inch and that should get you going down the road pretty nice.

Last edited by DC_SAAB; 09-15-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:46 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

dont waste your time with manual boost controllers stage 1-3 tunes for these cars are so cheap now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in