correct braided coolant AN line size? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2014, 10:10 AM   #1
TSLMember
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 94
correct braided coolant AN line size?

Hello so I bought this off eBay Turbo Water Coolant Line Kit M12x1 5 mm Volvo Saab TD04 | eBay the other day and am waiting for it arrive. The reason I want this is cause I have leaky line on the turbo side with oversized washers. And want to fix it with a braided line. I didn't really notice till after I bought it that it said the hose size is 4an. I somewhere thought I read on here about someone making there own and used 6an hose. Now my questions are will 4an be to restrictive? Or will it be okay? I just to know that the turbo is getting all the coolant it needs.
Thank you Connor
condaddy is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-25-2014, 10:31 AM   #2
 
B202nut-2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 719
a generic answer regardless of car:

Seems you will only increase whatever the initial pressure in the line was (2mm difference in diameter or whatever unit used to measure size inches/mm).

Doubt your gunna starve anything, coolant should still get where its going, if this is for your turbo, its only to cool things down. the galley area around turbos moving parts that needs to be cooled isnt compromised so you should be just fine.....


just a thought...
B202nut-2.0 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2014, 03:31 PM   #3
TSLMember
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by B202nut-2.0 View Post
a generic answer regardless of car:

Seems you will only increase whatever the initial pressure in the line was (2mm difference in diameter or whatever unit used to measure size inches/mm).

Doubt your gunna starve anything, coolant should still get where its going, if this is for your turbo, its only to cool things down. the galley area around turbos moving parts that needs to be cooled isnt compromised so you should be just fine.....


just a thought...
Ok thank you for your input. I'm going to compare diameter of it with a old coolant line I have cut in half. I will let you guys know. Also if anyone who reacts this and has braided lines on there turbo please share weather it's 4an or 6an.
Thank you Connor
condaddy is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2014, 03:49 PM   #4
Elder
 
DrewP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3,021
For AN style hoses and fittings the "dash" number (-4 or -6AN in your case, you pronounce that as a "dash four" or "dash six" hose / fitting) is the inner diameter of the hose or fitting in 1/16ths of an inch, so a -4AN is 4/16ths = 1/4" inch inside diameter. That's much larger than the OEM coolant lines to the turbo already, they are only about 1/4" in OUTSIDE diameter. The flow thru the turbo will be limited by the banjo fitting feeding it anyway, it's cross sectional area that can flow is MUCH smaller than a 1/4" inch circle.

That convention is true of any fluid system conforming to AN (an old Army Navy standard, where the name "AN" comes from).

You'll be fine.
__________________
(Former) Saab Tech / Competition Prep

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.

Last edited by DrewP; 08-25-2014 at 03:51 PM.
DrewP is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2014, 04:59 PM   #5
TSLMember
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewP View Post
For AN style hoses and fittings the "dash" number (-4 or -6AN in your case, you pronounce that as a "dash four" or "dash six" hose / fitting) is the inner diameter of the hose or fitting in 1/16ths of an inch, so a -4AN is 4/16ths = 1/4" inch inside diameter. That's much larger than the OEM coolant lines to the turbo already, they are only about 1/4" in OUTSIDE diameter. The flow thru the turbo will be limited by the banjo fitting feeding it anyway, it's cross sectional area that can flow is MUCH smaller than a 1/4" inch circle.

That convention is true of any fluid system conforming to AN (an old Army Navy standard, where the name "AN" comes from).

You'll be fine.
Thank you that is what I wanted to hear! I appreciate your input and time!
condaddy is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2014, 07:32 PM   #6
Elder
 
DrewP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3,021
Happy to help with info that's actually useful!
__________________
(Former) Saab Tech / Competition Prep

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
DrewP is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All content is copyright The Saab Link and it's original authors.


 

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.