Jt exhaust question - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2004, 03:38 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to trexturk
Jt exhaust question

I want to make my car a little louder. The Jt system has 2 mufflers, 1 smaller one where the resinator goes and one big on in the rear. Is there a way that i can remove the small muffler and put a straight pipe in place of it?
Will there be any HP gain or loss?
Thanks for the info
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2004, 04:43 PM   #2
TSLMember

if you wanted to you could prob. remove the resignator and run a strait pipe with either clamps or more preferably weld it in place. it should not make a performance differnce, resignators are mainly do reduce the db level of the exhaust. just my 2cents..

if you do take res. off i would be interested in gettin it from you becuase i want my exhaust quieter...

jason
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-23-2004, 04:49 PM   #3
Avid TSL User

Trex,

I have single-muffler setup (no middle resonator) and it's definitely louder than stock.

Old 03-23-2004, 05:39 PM   #4

Just a question:

Are most people doing the 3" JT DP without the cat, then having the O2 bung and sensor installed later?

I'm trying to get some prices and trying to figure out whether $900 is a decent price for a full turbo back stainless system.....
Old 03-23-2004, 06:11 PM   #5
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to trexturk
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders
Just a question:

Are most people doing the 3" JT DP without the cat, then having the O2 bung and sensor installed later?.
thats what i did and its been working fine so far.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:56 PM   #6
Avid TSL User

i just had 3" JT exhaust with 2.5' custom catback.. and i lost soo muhc backpressure and torque.. i think my car is in fact slower form adding it.. i'm nto at all happy.. the sound is good but other than that.. its a big disappointment especially knownghow much i invested into it
Old 03-23-2004, 07:47 PM   #7

Saab4life,

have you done any other mods (ECU, MBC) to take advantage of the decreased backpressure? Your baby should really be able to breathe now, but you won't really feel too much unless you're trying to push more combustion gas through.....
Old 03-23-2004, 08:44 PM   #8
Elder

Yeah, you need to have increased airflow to meet the increased exhaust flow, or else you will lose HP with the backpressure. I want to get a 3" downpipe just because I feel I can get more air out of the exahust, and thus increase how loud it is. But I need a CAT on for inspection purposes, and I aint paying the $900 for the sport cat with the 3" down pipe. Any other suggestions to increase exhaust flow?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:39 AM   #9
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
Trex,

I have the same system as you, and lol I do think it needs to be a little bit louder

About the resonator...It has a straight through flow design, so I doubt by removing it performance will be increased. What you may want to try is putting a different muffler on. I've been thinking about doing a DTM exhuast..so hopefull that will give it a little more noise.

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

Old 03-24-2004, 08:15 AM   #10

Cedric, Trex:

Supposedly the Aeroturbine mufflers give you a deeper rumble in the 3" in-out size, and they help reduce backpressure by making the exhaust gases swirl out of the pipe. The theory is that the swirling action increases the velocity of the gases out of the pipe and helps reduce backpressure along the entire system. Since they're about $160 or so -- in stainless -- it might be an upgrade worth considering...

www.turboexhaust.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in