BRZ or mod the Viggen - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
TSLMember

BRZ or mod the Viggen

Hey guys,

I just test drove a BRZ and liked the fact that its a new car. I was quoted a good price for the car fully loaded, but I'm not sure I want to commit to car payments. I did not like the clutch in the BRZ, it was just very nice and a change being RWD.

My Viggen is pretty much stock besides a lame catback exhaust, and still on the boring stock turbo, but its pretty much paid off. It does however have 250k miles on it. I've had to replace a lot of things on the car, and the paint is faded and showing its age on the roof and slowly on the hood.

I'm not sure what I should do, keep the viggen and mod, or get a BRZ. I would like to keep the viggen as selling it wouldn't get me much, and I'd like to have the peace of mind having a new car.

The new WRX are pretty nice, which is something else I would consider, or maybe a used Evo 8,9,or 10. I just cant justify paying 20k on a 100k mile Evo though, that has probably had its way with 5-6 other owners.

TSL what should I do? Any info or feeedback is appreciated.

Smokie
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2014, 01:22 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Depends, what kind of driving do you do, where do you do it? Viggen is a year round car, even in the snow belt, that you can have some fun with and build on the cheap. On the other hand, chassis and subsequent handling are nothing compared to the BRZ, and the scoob will be much more reliable, so if this is your only transportation and you have a job, school, etc thats more than a few miles away every day, it may be worth looking into something reliable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-18-2014, 10:22 AM   #3
gm

Its a tough call.... my viggen does have a few mods ..... I wanted to fix some rust thats coming on the passenger side door sills and b pillar.... took it to the shop and they said don't fix it due to the rust on the underside, stated the spring perches will probably be the first to let go. Stated it wasn't worth the money. If your car is rust free then it would be a different story!

Thus I am just going to drive it until it either rusts apart or the engine lets go...... to get me by I did take on car payments for the first time in over 10 years, purchased a miata.

For BRZ money you can get a wrx... someone on a miata forum I visit went to buy a BRZ and left with the wrx. He was hugely impressed with the wrx.... The looks of the new wrx still hasnt grown on me enough to want to test drive. If you are looking at a mid 20K car I would also look at a VW GTi, ford focus/fiesta ST... all 3 are solid cars & I know with very minor mods the GTi can get pumped up to close to 400HP.

Saabless for the first time since 1986
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm View Post
If you are looking at a mid 20K car I would also look at a VW GTi, ford focus/fiesta ST... all 3 are solid cars & I know with very minor mods the GTi can get pumped up to close to 400HP.
This.

The BRZ/FRS is comically overrated. Compared to the BRZ, the Focus ST -- stock to stock! -- is faster, brakes shorter, has quicker slalom times, and is faster around a track. AND it's cheaper. Reflash/downpipe/exhaust and you're close to 400. And that's not even the nasty Focus RS, which the doofuses at Ford aren't bringing here until 2016.

The auto press creamed themselves over the BRZ before its release, and then heaped more love during the first year. With all these other cars spanking it, and with sales tanking, some of the auto press finally took Toybaru's ass off their faces and started complaining about the lack of power, blahhh interior, and typically shitty fit and finish.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:23 PM   #5
SAAB Road Master

I would not put any money into a 250K mileage car...
Old 07-18-2014, 11:26 PM   #6

If I was to buy a car .. It would be the Ford XR5 Turbo..

Last edited by bogan; 07-18-2014 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:37 AM   #7

We are all in different financial situations and value a new car differently. Me, I like the viggen well enough that I wouldn't value a new car highly over one. I'd mod the viggen to make up for the things that it lacks compared to a newer car.

I don't want a car payment, we are trying hard to stay out of debt, and pay down what we have. So concerning reliability, two old cars make up for one nice one!! Buy a civic!! Get a cheap older one. Mine is perfect, 5 SPd, nice wheels and tires, lowered a bit, and has power windows door locks, ac and I put a bluetooth stereo in. I don't have much money in it and it gets me 38 mpg!!! I mention the mods cause you can do a lot for cheap to make it not so bad. So I actually enjoy my civic for my daily drive. I can leave the saab in for nice days, and if something breaks I have a backup.

Lastly; what's wrong with 250k miles? I just tore apart my 250k mile aero motor which was in awesome shape. Rebuilding it now (cause it is fun, but I probably should have left it)! Put it this way, most things that wear get upgraded anyhow. Example suspension. If the body was not sound though I think I'd find one that was.

Good luck!!
Old 07-19-2014, 05:35 AM   #8
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboy View Post
We are all in different financial situations and value a new car differently.
I don't want a car payment, we are trying hard to stay out of debt, and pay down what we have.
That right there seems like good advice. I'd add that, instead of putting money towards mods on the Viggen, consider saving it in a fund for repairs when needed; or possibly to buy a used engine, full timing kit, etc. and tools if needed and do a leisurely and thorough rebuild on another engine while you're not crunched for time and under pressure.

That's not as flashy as putting money towards bolt on mods, but it gets you ahead in experience and tools and it's a hedge against the day that the Viggen engine will be worn out. Plus, then you've built an engine if you've not done that before. And that's pretty cool.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:19 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
BRZ left me unimpressed.

Liked the weight and RWD.

Kind of liked the looks.

Drivetrain was meh. Interior was meh and it's basically a 2 seater.

That car with a 265hp 2.0L turbo would be a LOT more appealing.

The new MK7 GTI though is sounding like the top of the class. I drove a Focus ST with cash in hand and came away disappointed.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:12 PM   #10
Flirting With TSL Addiction

A last september I decided I was going to get a Evo instead of getting another saab and modifying it. took me 4 months to find a Evo that was within my standards. So in jan I picked up a 2008 Evo X GSR with 50k for only $19k. and I love it.
The good cars are out there but it takes awhile to find one

Quote:
Now the Car Gods @ DOT are gunna come Smack your PE PEE
Old 07-20-2014, 10:27 PM   #11
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneSilver View Post
A last september I decided I was going to get a Evo instead of getting another saab and modifying it. took me 4 months to find a Evo that was within my standards. So in jan I picked up a 2008 Evo X GSR with 50k for only $19k. and I love it.
Wow that's a good deal on a evo x. I've been searching and mostly want the 8 or 9 evos as they have the 4g63 motor which I am very familiar with. I'd probably consider a evo X if it was for a really good price. Most evo 8/9 are going for 20k w 100k miles in my area. It's kind of hard to swallow that but I'm guessing it's a supply and demand thing.

I just like the brz cause it's a new car. The interior while nicer than the frs was still on the cheap side.

The viggen still runs, it needs new brakes. I recently had to replace some of the radiotor hoses as they blown apart. Along with the thermostat.

Keep the ideas coming. I'd need to test drive the fiesta st. I've heard lots of good things on them.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:43 AM   #12
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokie View Post
I just like the brz cause it's a new car. The interior while nicer than the frs was still on the cheap side.
correct me if i am wrong but isnt it the same car? with just a couple small tweaks with badging and radio options (subaru stuff or toyota stuff)

also the BRZ is highly praised for being a "Drift Machine" if you put skinny little tires on the rear of any lightweight RWD car youll have the same thing.

in your case bud go with what makes you happy. if you arent happy with the car, car payments, etc youll be looking for a new car in a couple months. Personally i would bring your viggen up to spec and drive it till the doors fall off.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:58 AM   #13

I eventually returned to the Saab (viggen) world for a few reasons, I was also looking new/lightly used for a while.

You mentioned being very familiar with the evo 8/9 motor; strong selling point for the viggen with me. Not only being very familiar with the engine and troubleshooting I have a huge respect for Saab's philosophy. Makes me happy inside to get 32 mpg on a cross country trip while ripping up an on-ramp. The cornering G's in a vig with all the suspension mods is well enough for me...especially here in CO on mountain roads with steep drops.

We all know how useful the hatch is and how much larger the usable space is compared to most modern hatches, won't go any further.

Largest selling point to go back to a modified viggen for me (this comes from my aviation/human factors education I'm sure) is the layout of the cockpit. To this day I've never sat in as comfortable seats, never loved a simple yet astonishingly effecting gauge setup, no bulge for a speedo/tach on the dash and glare-shield, intuitive controls all in arms reach etc. Such a beautiful setup as it allows your mind to totally focus on driving and the scenery without the nonsense of a cluttered dash.

A lot of critics say the only relation Saab autos have to Saab aircraft is the night panel. So wrong. Sit in an aircraft cockpit - which has to be intuitive, simple and have "at a glance" instruments and toggles. Instantly, you will see how logical the Saab interior is.

I still can't believe how many auto manufacturers/magazines/critics put so much focus on the exterior of a car and not the interior. If you're the one buying it to drive it, why would you value the exterior over the interior? 95% of the time your driving the car not looking at the car. The instrumentation, seat comfort and "human factors" of the interior should be far more valued than they are.

Last edited by PAviggen; 07-22-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
This.

The BRZ/FRS is comically overrated. Compared to the BRZ, the Focus ST -- stock to stock! -- is faster, brakes shorter, has quicker slalom times, and is faster around a track. AND it's cheaper. Reflash/downpipe/exhaust and you're close to 400. And that's not even the nasty Focus RS, which the doofuses at Ford aren't bringing here until 2016.

The auto press creamed themselves over the BRZ before its release, and then heaped more love during the first year. With all these other cars spanking it, and with sales tanking, some of the auto press finally took Toybaru's ass off their faces and started complaining about the lack of power, blahhh interior, and typically shitty fit and finish.

Maybe the best comment on TSL ever, let alone in the last few months!
-Cm
Old 07-28-2014, 05:30 PM   #15
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneSilver View Post
Hahaha I remember that! You were supposed to buy my Viggen .

Good choice on the EVO! You already have one awesome Saab anyways! It will be great to build the EVO, then we can roll around and destroy anything with our cars!
Old 07-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #16
Elder

I'd go for the brz, I'm thinking about making that purchase myself.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:14 AM   #17

There's a guy on SC who bought one last year, found it underpowered compared to his Saab, so he put on a supercharger kit...

Might be a good source of upgrade/mod info...

And prices have started to drop on them due to the drop in demand. Used ones are just coming into the marketplace, too...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in