Intake - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2004, 04:25 PM   #1
TSLMember

Intake

Is it alright to put an intake made for Trionic T5 in a car with T7. Im wondering because i just put on the intake from taliafero saab on my car and i was wondering if it was alright
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2004, 05:59 PM   #2
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
Yes its totally fine. The important thing is to keep the MAP sensor. As long as you did this, then there's no problems.

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-22-2004, 09:31 PM   #3

I should probably move this into the intake sticky (and I should probably say "hello" before doing anything else) but the whole intake dilemma has me pretty crazy, as I'm two days into an engine swap that will mate an 01 B205 engine (The H.O.T from the 9-3 SE) to a 97 SET body...

So....I was looking pretty hard at the stock intake and thinking, "The Swedes must have put those ridges and the drain hole in there for a reason..." When I removed mine, there was a lot of coarse sand and bits of dead leaves in there. The ridges trap the crap and keep it from traveling up into the lower pressure zone of the filter's fast-moving air stream. (As they say in Baaahston, that's wicked smaaart)

And looking harder at the whole deal, I saw that little port above the fog light essentialy acts like a ram air port for the (too small) stock air tube. The engineers knew they needed more air into the engine compartment, so those two little holes deflect the frontal air flow up into the cavity under the headlights. Very cool. This definitely seems like the best place to put an intake, except for the whole water issue...

A bad place would probably be low and close to the plastic underbody trim; not just because of the water issue, but because that area probably gets little direct airflow. Here's why, prefaced by saying I'm not an aerodynamics expert (I just play one on TV): The air directly under the bumper is still pretty turbulent and doesn't get the whole ram-air effect. It does, however, get all the road debris and general crap kicked up from the turbulent airflow. Even if it was clean, fast-moving air, it would might even have LOWER performance than stock because being just out of the fast-moving flow would likely place the filter in a zone of lower air pressure, making the engine suck harder to get anything through that straw...

I might be totally, horribly, absolutely wrong on this, but I'm guessing that the stock intake box, with a better filter and the 3'' mod, might be the best way to go....I wish I could do some scientific dyno tests, but the future beast isn't up to it yet!

I'll probably post some kind of an expanded engine removal and refitting sticky when this engine is in and my busted knuckles heal......

Old 03-23-2004, 06:47 AM   #4
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
Mike,

Welcome to the site

About that hose with the ripples in it. Im almost certain that the ripples are used to quiet down the intake noise by disrupting the airflow. I too found sand and leaves in my air intake box, but only underneath (prior to) the filter. After the filter there should not be any debris at all, which makes me think your filter may not have been doing its job.

By removing this rippled pipe, I have noticed difference in both performance, and in noise. Of course performance was increase, however the intake became more noticeable from stock.

Considering most people are afraid of water getting into their intake, I decide to make a design that stays in the engine bay, but locates the filter directly behind the headlight right where the intake tube for the stock airbox was locataed. I found by doing this, the cold ram air effect is still used.

Soon, I will have a design made for the T7 setup that will incorporate the filter lower down in the bumper, but not low enough to possibly suck water in.

As far as the debris statement....this is all about a good filter. With a sealed system, and a good filter....sand leaves and other debris won't be an issue.

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:22 AM   #5

Hey Cedric,

Just took a look at your free-flow mod and I see exactly what you're talking about. I think your method is definitely worth investigating. That rippled pipe I've got in the 97 engine definitely has to go, but I've got a T-7 engine so I'll have to keep the MAF. (edited to remove stupidity!)

Speaking of which, does anyone have a pic of their T-7 intake setup? I think the engine core I bought might be missing some bits....

...and those stock airbox ridges are actually under the filter intake pipe, where they looked like they were doing their job as crap-catchers in the pic below!

Thanks for the response...and thanks for creating an antidote to the Grumpy Old Man's site ("Hey you kids....get offa my lawn and don't talk about any other site or I'll ban ya!")
Old 03-23-2004, 07:31 AM   #6
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders
As they say in Baaahston, that's wicked smaaart
Wouldn't that be "wicked pissah smaaaaht?

I grew up with a Baahston accent so thick that they sent me to speech therapy in elementary school.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:47 PM   #7

Ha!.....I have co-workers who have hard-core accents and it's a blast!

I've only lived in the Boston area for about 12 years, so I haven't started calling a milkshake a "frappe" or asked for "jimmies" on my soft-serve cone....
Old 03-24-2004, 06:27 AM   #8
HNNLIC
Elder

Mike,

Ahh I see what ridges you were talking about. Yea i was talking about the ridges in the pipe leading to your turbo inlet.

So far, I don't know of anyone who has a T7 intake, however that should change soon (hopefully this week) Theres a few people who are waiting for it.

Old 03-24-2004, 10:38 AM   #9
SAABeginner

I would be interested in one for the T7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in