Front Mount Sizing - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2014, 07:32 AM   #1
TSLMember

Front Mount Sizing

99% Sure from my research this will fit, Just want to confirm with those that have already upgraded the factory intercooler. Too big or just right?

Universal Intercooler 28"X8"X3.5" 2.25" Inlet and Outlet
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2014, 09:09 AM   #2
WSW
Elder

That's about the biggest size you can fit without serious modifications.

It'll fit, you just might need to trim the crash bar down a bit
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-05-2014, 09:23 AM   #3
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSW View Post
That's about the biggest size you can fit without serious modifications.

It'll fit, you just might need to trim the crash bar down a bit
That's what i thought, Just wanted to double check. Not looking to do much modification, Just want to cut down on the heat soak.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:15 PM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

It will fit...but just..

Thats the size I have in mine .. its exactly the same

Last edited by bogan; 06-07-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:23 PM   #5
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogan View Post
It will fit...but just..

Thats the size I have in mine .. its exactly the same

I know . It's your install I got the measurements from

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-08-2014, 04:44 PM   #6

I'm glad my IC install thread helped..

You will never get heat soak again with that bad boy
Old 06-08-2014, 05:07 PM   #7
TSLMember

Quote:
I'm glad my IC install thread helped..

You will never get heat soak again with that bad boy
That's the plan, thanks man I've got a couple other small things planned. Most comfortable beater I've had .

Last edited by ridin59vette; 06-08-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #8
TSLMember

Finally had some free time to start working on this.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]
Old 08-25-2014, 06:49 AM   #9

Try moving that Tial a little closer to the throttle body. If so, you'll lose less boost in the piping between blow-offs...

Old 08-25-2014, 12:12 PM   #10
TSLMember

I've been messing with the placement quite a bit the last day. I actually Kinda like it where I have it now. Basically right off the TB, I'll post a pic when I get home.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:53 PM   #11
TSLMember

This is how I currently have it. Ignore all the piping being used, just scraps I have laying around. Taking my time figuring out placement for everything. Before I hack into all that pretty new piping I have in the trunk

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1409003582331.jpg (84.5 KB, 18 views)
Old 08-25-2014, 03:08 PM   #12
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
Try moving that Tial a little closer to the throttle body. If so, you'll lose less boost in the piping between blow-offs...
Whaa?

Throttle plate closes, BOV opens, air mass flows out with no reverse pulses back to the compressor wheel, compressor wheel continues to freewheel in the direction it was traveling.

I think you want to lose the correct amount of mass to allow the turbo to keep spinning, regardless of where the mass (higher pressure air) exits.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew in Houston View Post
Whaa?

Throttle plate closes, BOV opens, air mass flows out with no reverse pulses back to the compressor wheel, compressor wheel continues to freewheel in the direction it was traveling.

I think you want to lose the correct amount of mass to allow the turbo to keep spinning, regardless of where the mass (higher pressure air) exits.
Ahhh, that's a fair point. It's less about boost loss than BOV/BPV response, which is really only going to differ by fractions of seconds. Ideal location is anywhere along the cold side of the intake as close to the TB as possible, as determined by your existing plumbing. It's definitely not something for the OP to fret over, but if you have the opportunity to move it since you're not constrained by the piping back to the intake, then it makes sense to move it a foot closer to the TB.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:13 PM   #14
TSLMember

Quote:
Ahhh, that's a fair point. It's less about boost loss than BOV/BPV response, which is really only going to differ by fractions of seconds. Ideal location is anywhere along the cold side of the intake as close to the TB as possible, as determined by your existing plumbing. It's definitely not something for the OP to fret over, but if you have the opportunity to move it since you're not constrained by the piping back to the intake, then it makes sense to move it a foot closer to the TB.
I did. Updated pic is above

Old 08-25-2014, 06:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin59vette View Post
This is how I currently have it. Ignore all the piping being used, just scraps I have laying around. Taking my time figuring out placement for everything. Before I hack into all that pretty new piping I have in the trunk

That's where I got the best response from my Tial...but make sure you have the right spring. There's a chart that shows the proper spring for your car's vacuum....TiAL Sport - BOV Tech

Last edited by mike saunders; 08-25-2014 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:23 PM   #16
TSLMember

Quote:
That's there I got the best response from my Tial...but make sure you have the right spring. There's a chart that shows the proper spring for your car's vacuum....TiAL Sport - BOV Tech
Yea the spring fiasco is a nuisance, most of which is my fault, I kept ordering springs before correcting all my boost/vacuum leaks, before I pulled it apart it was idling between 16-18 Ingh, far better then the 8-9 I was getting when I originally purchased the car

On your tial, what did you do for a boost reference, the stock vacuum line is way to small for what tial recommends, I'd like to avoid tapping the manifold for a 1/4" boost reference, your thread is why I tried putting the tial where it Is lol. Searching had its advantages

Last edited by ridin59vette; 08-25-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:40 PM   #17
TSLMember

Made some progress today. Nothing is bolted down, bracket is a tight fit and the intercooler is just ziptide for the moment, should get the last few couplers I need tomorrow. Hopefully have some time Monday when I get home to finish it up

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1409269213279.jpg (80.2 KB, 11 views)
Old 08-29-2014, 02:08 AM   #18

looks good..

I also have a vertical support on my IC bracket..But I love a bit of overkill. hehe

Last edited by bogan; 08-29-2014 at 02:18 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:57 AM   #19
TSLMember

Quote:
looks good..

I also have a vertical support on my IC bracket..But I love a bit of overkill. hehe
If I kept the bracket aluminum I would as well, but I think being 1/8" steel it should be fine

Old 08-29-2014, 04:06 AM   #20

yes...Most just use cable ties... lool

Good job
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in