koni or bilsteins - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: koni or bilsteins?
koni 10 71.43%
bilsteins 4 28.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2014, 09:32 AM   #1
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to grkguy89
koni or bilsteins

whats better for really low stiff suspension up front?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Current Activity: Moderating
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2014, 10:15 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
I don't know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #3
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to grkguy89
i know where i stand, but i want to make a sticky for others
i keep getting PM's with the same question
i tell people it's a matter of preference
so why not see what most have or prefer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Current Activity: Moderating

Old 04-24-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
gm
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Most haven't owned both and prefer what they own or purchased

I am on the koni side.... Been using their stuff for many years in my SPG as well as in my viggen with aftermarket springs. Great stuff..... Rode in a few bilsteins equipped c900's but never a newer saab thus no comment

Saabless for the first time since 1986
Old 04-24-2014, 11:15 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
I have had both and my vote is with Koni yellow adjustables.

My first set was killed by a set of Intrax. Koni not only rebuilt them for free, but custom valved them to match the set of Eibachs I was going to use for no cost to me. Customer service FTW.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:45 AM   #6
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Koni's are adjustable for rebound. Bilsteins offer their benefits on the compression side. Both are good. I personally like the 'steins better. They are much cheaper, and much more substantial. Plus, they are aggressively valved for lowered cars. I have ridden in cars equipped with both; the Koni's on full soft are softer than the billy's, but that is about it. I really don't like the way the car feels with Koni's--to me, it feels like air suspension that has been pumped to "full hard", like you are riding around on over inflated dodge-balls. Other people say the billy's are made of granite--I respectfully disagree. The main problem is actually endemic to both makes; our suspension is so limited in terms of travel on a stock setup, that lowering it gives you ~1.5" before the bump-stops. This makes for a miserable experience when you slam a bump and it all goes into your strut towers with a calamitous "BANNNG". Lastly, my gripe with the Billy's is that they have this trick valving that makes them go soft upon impact with a howler, which exacerbates the aforementioned problem.
YMMV.
The question is whether or not you can be lead to believe the Koni's are worth the price difference.
-Cm
Old 04-24-2014, 04:59 PM   #7
Elder

Driven/owned both on OG 9-3s.

Konis ride better on a less than perfect pavement. Less busy, less jarring.

Both are impressive on pefect pavement.

I have Bilsteins on my Driver SPG, it rides well and I like them. I did not like the Bilsteins on the 9-3. I have a full set of Konis to try on my other SPG (too nice to DD) this summer.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:38 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Yeah, I need to install my bilsteins in the viggen to really have an apples to apples idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 05-14-2014, 10:58 AM   #9
SAAB Road Master

I had Koni "reds" on my track oriented SPG. They were terrible with whatever spring rates I was running. Went with the bilsteins and I could brake later and come into corners harder and faster. I liked them on the c900 way more than the Konis I had. Had both brands on my og9-3's too. I like the koni race and koni sports better than the bilsteins on that car. For a lot of reasons....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-14-2014, 03:27 PM   #10

I've owned both, the adjust-ability of the konis is extremely useful. with that said when tuned full stiff the bilsteins are firmer and i actually prefer them

even stiffer is when GS turned my konis into coilovers (obviously) - if you ever plan on doing this the konis are the better investment
Old 05-15-2014, 03:30 PM   #11

YMMV, but everyone I know who did a suspension swap with Eibach pro's and Koni yellows, blew them. Also, I drive on 16's, and find the Bilstein comfortable. The OP also stated low and stiff, in which case, the Koni's are not a good move. Reports come in from many places that they blow out when aggressively lowered. Lastly, speaking purely as conjecture, I believe the bump-stops in the Bilsteins are bigger, and thus, you are more apt to hit them when you hit a howler of a pot hole. This would make the ride seem firmer for sure. To put things in perspective on how "hard" the Steins are; my dad has a 06 9-5 ARC (the midgrade one) and I cannot compress his suspension by shoving down on the front fenders, whereas my car, equipped with the mean and nasty Steins can be.
-Cm
Old 05-19-2014, 06:49 PM   #12
gm
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I have the koni kit on my viggen for over 60k miles and zero issues

On the old spg's I used koni's on two cars with intrax and one with brad at kc saab's adjustable springs, I think I did 550/750# springs..... Intrax I loved until I tried brads springs.... Never had a single issue with the konis with either setup, matter of the springs being to low of a spring rate with intrax. Had excellent luck with the stiffer adjustable spring and koni.... Attended maybe a dozen track days with the adjustable springs and koni's, only a handful with intrax/koni. Best improvement I had in stopping power was the ap racing brakes

Saabless for the first time since 1986
Old 05-19-2014, 09:18 PM   #13
DEW
TSLMember

I chose Bilstein shocks because I have previous positive experience with them on older Saabs. Considered Koni, but I wasn't interested in adjustability, and they were more expensive (at the the time).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in