Turbojohnny's T5 Build of a 900 S - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2014, 05:23 AM   #1
Elder

Arrow Turbojohnny's T5 Build of a 900 S

starting with a '98 900s convertible

I'll just be pulling the na fuel injection off of it and swapping to t5
I also picked up a whole se kit and 9-3 deck lid from Thurston (sallythesaab) that I'll be painting and installing

this build will probably take a little longer than my work usually takes me but I'll get it done as quickly as my budget allows.

I need to replace the driver side strut assembly as the spring perch has rusted and collapsed.

a few goodies I've gathered...

'06 King Cobra td04
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2014, 06:09 AM   #2
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

This is going to be great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-08-2014, 09:03 AM   #3

If the front spring perch has rusted through, check the rear shock mount points just in case....

Nice project!

Old 04-10-2014, 06:56 PM   #4
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
If the front spring perch has rusted through, check the rear shock mount points just in case....

Nice project!
I checked those shock mounts and they're still in good shape.

Did a couple of other things today too.

Pulled off the old exhaust, that thing was wasted...
Old 04-11-2014, 05:45 AM   #5
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Glad I could help! Always nice to see some fellow saabers in my neck of the woods. Look forward to following this profect!
2002 9-3 SE
2002 9-3 SE Vert
1999 LB 9-3 Viggen
1996 9000 CSE (RIP)
1990 9000 S (SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:33 PM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Subscribing. Good looking start should be nice.... Educate me though, what the advantage of putting a turbo on the non turbo motor?

I mean, what's the general approach here, will you be running lower boost levels since you are starting with a higher cr engine?
Old 04-12-2014, 07:42 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Moreboost
I was wondering when you were going to create a build thread, its looking good. Hopefully you'll have better luck with this one than you did with the last hahah. You still a no on carlisle?

Old 04-12-2014, 10:15 PM   #8
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboy View Post
Subscribing. Good looking start should be nice.... Educate me though, what the advantage of putting a turbo on the non turbo motor?

I mean, what's the general approach here, will you be running lower boost levels since you are starting with a higher cr engine?
There is no real advantage, maybe more of a disadvantage. I don't think the na pistons will hold up to much boost. The main reason I'm going this route is because I found the car fairly Inexpensively and I just like having projects like this.

Imran, I missed preregistration for Carlisle but there's a chance I'll drive out on Saturday to say hi to a few of you guys.

Last edited by turbojohnny; 04-15-2014 at 06:10 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:26 PM   #9
Elder

Made a little more progress on things today. I completely stripped out all of the motronic stuff and installed the t5 harness. I also pulled the transmission and clutch assembly.

T5 harness installed

Toasted clutch

Flywheel

New viggen clutch kit

I'm going to be placing an order at eeuro for all new coolant hoses and a few gaskets.

I am in need of a map sensor if anybody has one they're interested in selling.

I also realized that na cars have no external oil cooler so I'll be retrofitting one.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:08 PM   #10
Elder

Cleaned up the interior a little today

Finally shampooed and scrubbed by hand the best I could.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojohnny View Post
There is no real advantage, maybe more of a disadvantage. I don't think the na pistons will hold up to much boost. The main reason I'm going this route is because I found the car fairly Inexpensively and I just like having projects like this.

Imran, I missed preregistration for Carlisle but there's a chance I'll drive out on Saturday to say to a few of you guys.
I totally understand! I got into saabs years ago after buying a v6 900. I planned on a flip, but loved it and kept it (still have it).

Sometimes we buy things we can get a good deal on even though it may not be exactly what we want!
Old 04-18-2014, 02:58 AM   #12
Elder

small update, I'll post pictures later...

the new viggen clutch is in and the trans is back in, sport steering wheel is installed t5 intake manifold is installed, distributor is out and plugged.

and Chris (ninehundredt) dropped off a set of 17" 9-5 Aero wheels for me last night
Thanks Chris
Old 04-18-2014, 04:13 PM   #13

Glad I could help! It was good to catch up and see the project in action. She's gonna be nice when you get her all buttoned up.

Chris
Old 04-19-2014, 12:22 PM   #14
Elder

Old 04-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #15
Elder

The majority of the wiring is in place and connected. I'm waiting for some more parts to show up before I can get any further. Like the o ring for the oil drain tube and the turbo gasket as well as exhaust clamps.

I'm hoping to get a pair of strut assemblies this week also.

There are a couple other things I'm looking for like a map sensor and an intake air temperature sensor, which apparently is different for '98

From this

To this
Old 04-21-2014, 06:27 PM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Moreboost
Doing work as usual. Still going to try and make it to Carlisle on saturday?

Old 04-21-2014, 06:57 PM   #17
Elder

The gf and I are planning to make it out there. But we won't be driving the Saab.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:06 PM   #18
Elder

I've been working slowly, more so because I've been waiting on parts to show up than laziness.

Anyway I mocked up the turbo the other day and realized that one of the coolant lines was definitely not right. Maybe the '06 and newer 9-5 had it running to a different location? Either way, I couldn't figure out how the last line was supposed to fit.

So I went and bought some fittings and braided line to make my own.

Now the turbo is all bolted into place, the downpipe is on and the sport exhaust is up in place. It's definitely looking much better than it did when I started

I'm not sure what I'm going to use for an intercooler. I want as clean of an install as possible for not a whole lot of money. I'd hate to just use a stock crossflow unit from a viggen, but I might go that route for a little while.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:00 PM   #19

Build is looking good man. You definitely walk the walk.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:04 PM   #20
Elder

Agreed.

Awesome to see some "git 'er done".

Sand Gold?

What's it called? Way cool color for a vert.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in