Anyone have SQR or MAPTUN - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2004, 08:39 PM   #1
TSLMember

Anyone have SQR or MAPTUN

does anyone hear have maptun or sqr ecu upgrades on this site? Were trying to figure out what to do with the group buy and im curious of what owner who have thwe upgrade think about them... oh yeah if anyone has speedparts let us know also
Nick P
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2004, 05:33 AM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via Yahoo to DC_SAAB
yep....., got mine late last year.

How can I help?
Old 03-16-2004, 08:13 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
ERP also has SQR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 03-16-2004, 08:15 AM   #4
Avid TSL User

I have an SQR Stage IV+ ECU. I had previously tried the SpeedParts Stage III along with SQR Stage III. I have no experience with Maptune. The SQR tunes are deceptively fast, the power comes on extremely smooth and the turbo rush is less evident. However, look at the speedo and you know your haulin @ss.

The speedparts tunes seem less user friendly and still leave the huge torque spike at ~3800 RPM. This torque spike is usually the cause of your tyres cutting loose at WOT. This spike gives the illusion of fast, but the reality is you have to temporarily lay of the gas and then get back in it. Exiting a turn the torque spike is more evident.

Compare this to the SQR tune and you'll see no torque spike. You loose the turbo rush feeling but you can keep the rubber on the road, even when exiting a turn.

From all accounts the Maptune ECU are very similar to SQR.

Comparing Stage III ECU's the Maptune provides 19 more HP than SQR but the SQR tune has slightly higher TQ.

Comparing the SQR stage IV to the Maptune Stage V you'll see they both yield 310 HP. Look at the Torque and you'll see the big difference. SQR = 446 Nm Maptune = 395 Nm. Keep in mind these kits have exactly the same hardware from the same suppliers. The only difference is the ECU.

To sum this up Maptune will probably be a better choice for most, but I have no personal experience. You can't go wrong either way.

Check out my site if your interested.

Nice avitar, who's the lady?
Old 03-16-2004, 12:47 PM   #5
Avid TSL User

I have Maptun Stage I... with viggen IC, same as Stage II. Like the fact that I can upgrade at a reduced price.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:22 PM   #6
Administrator
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via ICQ to bollman Send a message via AIM to bollman
Remeber: Torque is what kills gearboxes. Also, the debate is hot here in Sweden as to which upgrade is the "best". The general idea is that Nordic is best since they compromise very little or none of the durability whereas SQR, Maptun and BSR all gamble a bit on durability.
Also, getting a new ECU with higher pressures and more risk of knock, MBCs are not recommended, since you wouldn´t want knock at max boost at stage 3...
As I´ve been informed, Maptun offers more flexibility in you program.
I´m going from BSR stage 1 to Maptun stage 3 later this year. I will request full power in second, which should give me a good head start since SQR and BSR and Nordic all have limits on lower gears (BSR gives full power at fourth gear, 1-3 is reduced).
Old 03-19-2004, 07:33 AM   #7
TSLMember

ecu

dc saab .... are u completly satisfied with the MAPTUN software? IM sorry to make a big deal out of this with everyone but i feel its a big purchase to me, and should be done with the best software.
DC do you think its worth the extra almost $200
ecu =$749
ship = $40

Or should i go with SQR which is also great and cheaper?
Ill sacrifice money for quality!

Nick P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in